Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What was or is your high school car? (VW only)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics. '73 SB around '80. I got it because my folks thought it was a safe, non trouble making car. They took away my '72 Impala 2 door w/400 small block after I got into trouble with the law. I got into trouble with the law with my bug too. Laughing
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll play along
The car I bought and drove in HS in Hawaii was a 1954 Dodge Cornet 2 door sedan with Royal Red Ram V-8 hemi in 1959. $700 from a Army captain headed back to the mainland.
My folks bought me a new 1964 sunroof beetle to drive to California to attend Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

great school and I had a blast driving in a lot of rallyes and autocrosses on the weekends
I've had one or more VW ever since.
wow has it been that long ago
cheers
hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Back in 88 when I was 15 I picked up a L456 Ruby red 67 that I had found walking home from school. It was an original owner car with all the reciepts and documents. The old couple sold it to me for $500 bucks. I drove it, as well as a 74 superbeetle, and my 61 rag that I still own to this day, all through high school.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior yr 61 bus senior year raveena green 74 Smile
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1966 Beetle I got when it dropped valve 3.

Dad said, you fix it, you drive it. Sweet deal, and got me started working with my hands.

Did the same with a series of 1970s and then finally a 1972 KG convertible in college.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I never joined in here. I graduated from Helix HS in La Mesa CA in 1970.
First HS car was a 54 Pontiac the summer of my Junior year. $50 from a family friend. It ran and drove but once it was warmed up it had to completely cool off before it would start again. Sold for $85 when we got tired of it.
Next was getting the family 63 Dodge for Christmas of my Senior year. It got 8 mpg and had leaking freeze plugs and head gaskets. Folks agreed to sell it and we would look for a bug.
The proceeds of the 63 Dodge ($425 if I remember), my HS grad present and a little bit of my own savings all went into a 63 Bug. Had it for 4 years, memorized the Muir book, rebuilt the engine and had some incredible memories with that car and the girlfriend.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: 1971 Reply with quote

Never forget the day! It is 1971 mid summer. I wake up on my Birthday knowing YEE HA ! TODAY is the DAY! Mom walks over hands me the keys to a 1969 VW bug and says "You Ready" and I cant answer quick enough. So we drive the 5 or 6 miles to the DMV. A really big slender guy says my name. We walk out to the bug and I can see the look on his face of "not a bug". He was polite and didn't complain with his knees all scrunched up in the passenger seat. We take the test including K turns, and Parallel parking all while shifting and clutching my way to getting that little card. We get back, he tells me I passed. So I pick up my belongings (Mom) and drive her home. We pull into the driveway at home and exit the car. Then the "COOLEST MOM" in the world says as we both exit the car and as I am handing her back the key's "gas tank is full, go have some fun, see your friends, just be safe!" and my appreciation meter blows a gasket! I wave as she is walking back into the house and I drive to the corner to make a left and low and behold there is water in the gutter. Remember its my 16th B day. I am driving for the first time with a license (NYUK NYUK NYUK) so pop goes the clutch and pedal to the metal and I am spinning my tires. Yee ha! OH $#!FT going sideways when I hook up I get it under control. As I gather the car back up and roll on down the road going "man that was stoopid right in front of the house to do" so the rest of the day was very relaxed and didn't disappoint my Mom.

Now about the VW? My dad bought it to be a commuter car to save gas. I talked him into it. He would tell his buddies "this thing is as powerful as my 350 in my truck". I am not positive but I think it had an 1835? in it and the trans and clutch were all matched up. Thing was quick and fun. Drove it to HS maybe twice. I had already purchased a Chevelle with a 327 and a four speed and it was already ready to do its HS work! Dad sold it about 4 weeks later and bought a 1971 Squareback. FUN TIMES!
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965 Westfalia

Bench seat. Bought this in August of 1975, just before starting my senior year. It was ten years old. I had just sold my '69 Datsun pickup.
I was going down the street and saw this bus, from the back. Had Arizona plates on it.
I said to myself " if that bus is for sale, I'm gonna buy it".
It was, I did,.... and I've pretty much owned one ever since. I restored this bus in the late seventies, took it to a show ( so. Cal.) There were only a few busses there in those days. Almost felt embarrased for having a bus at a show. Things have changed, slightly over the years.

I took this shot while out on assignment for photography class, fall '75.
It's now one of my faves!

Peace
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my transportation to and from high school and college in the late 1960's and the 1970's. But I would see VW's out the window on the streets below. Wink

This pic is from the 1970's. Graffiti didn't appear on NYC subways until 1970.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut my first class in a 70 Bug,drove down to the Jersey Shore.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian red 1960 bug. Completely worn out. 36 horse. Paid $100 for it and drove the wheels off it for about 3 years.

When it dropped a valve I upgraded to a 40 horse and began learning how to make things go fast. The car was known locally as "The Screaming Turtle" and many of the V8 guys were too scared to go up against it.
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first bug when I was 14 in 1974. I paid $75.00 for a '60 ragtop sunroof. My Dad towed it home for me. It had been sitting in a field for 7 years. He told me if I could get it running well and look good I would have something to drive when I was 16. I rebuilt the 36 horse engine, tranny, brakes, redid the entire interior, turned it into a Baha, and ran it hard on and off road until someone broadsided me 2 years after I got my liscence. I bought and built a half dozen more bugs in the next couple years.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my first car, junior year

Sold it and built this one for my senior year

Changed wheels along the way
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid '70's: euro-spec '60 Beetle sunroof, painted Saturn Yellow ('73 SportsBug color). Had '67 front fenders, W decklid, '68 seats, '68 taillights, etc. and a tired 40hp stale air engine. Was my first car; my dad and cousin helped me alot to get it running. Bought the rolling shell from a colleague of my dad's using car washing, lawn mowing and allowance money for - $25_ Shocked ! The PO collected many of the parts for it which were all different colors so it was a real mutt until we got it painted. The sunroof was fresh and never leaked. The year before we got a really rusty '60 Ghia coupe for free (destined for junkyard) that had the 40hp. Dad and I removed the engine, he showed me how to remove the cylinder heads and lap the valves; and installed it in the Beetle. Another colleague of my dad gave me an experimental single-throat manual choke Carter carburetor that bolted right to the stock VW manifold. JC Whitney "squared oval" dual-tip muffler.

Here you go. Decklid lights were functional and were my cuz's idea. Side scoops probably reduced top speed by 3mph. JC Whitney 6V "infrared" rear window defogger which didn't work.

I often drove past my younger friends at their bus stop, and took a few along to school. One day before they got in, about 4 of them decided to lift up the back of the Beetle by grabbing the bumper. The car was solid so that the rear wheels came off the ground. They wanted me to put it into first and peel out when they dropped it to the ground, hoping to pop a small wheelie. Well, I shifted into reverse and blipped the throttle! They were yelling to stop as the car was "getting heavy". Very Happy One of them wrote in my 12th grade yearbook "hope you get f_cked alot in your VW!".

I sold the '60 in the summer after HS graduation to get a solid '71 Fastback which I drove for a year beyond that.
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice car rome how have you been?
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how my Super Beetle looked back in high school...when it still worked. Wink
I took this picture when I was hanging out with some friends; we were on our way to Panera when we saw this nice Caddy! I had to take a picture with it.

Now, the car is waiting for me to get off my butt and either fix it myself or get it over to the mechanic.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the early eighties, I had recently immigrated to the U.S. from Germany and I was driving a '72 super. It was my first car and the only thing I owned back then, other than a few cassette tapes. Took it from New Jersey to Daytona on spring break. Came to regret driving the bug like a madman through the surf and sand along the beach that day. Generator crapped out on the way back to NJ. Left me stranded in the Carolinas somewhere and I had to sell my car stereo to get a new generator installed.

Blew the engine on it two years later and sold it to a friend for $50.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1979 I bought a 1966 beige beetle. I drove it my Junior and Senior years of high school then for four more years during college. I tricked it out with sand rail high-back seats on swivel van pedestals, and 3 inch wider fiberglass fenders to cover a set of Indy Magnesium Wheels that came off a 66 Mustang Fastback that was being used for drag racing.

I ended up selling it my senior year of college when it needed a new set of heads. Sad
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1967 Baja in HS. It has this big ugly wooden wheel with a 360 degree horn ring and the word EMPI on it. I tossed it for a little foam and chrome wheel. d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I had a 1967 Baja in HS. It has this big ugly wooden wheel with a 360 degree horn ring and the word EMPI on it. I tossed it for a little foam and chrome wheel. d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Its all good man. I threw out my ghia's complete og interior because it was "old" d'oh!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: