Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone been pulled over because driving without doors?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constantly get pulled over for driving the Thing. I always ask why you pulling me over before they speak. The answer is you can't drive that in Wisconsin They think it is a dune buggy, which they say is illegal to drive in any form in Wisconsin, which isn't even true. I hand them the registration and say am I free to go I'm busy.

Takes them 30 minutes in their car to just believe I did not jurry rig a vin number, I now carry a Title with me and some original factory pictures of a Thing. I end up telling them it's a imported German Jeep sold in the US 73-74 in the US.

Every time the Aholes check ever dam little item, lights wipers you name it. Then there is the discussion about emissions. I don't know why they hate the unusual. I guess they are hopping to write a ticket.

I don't use my doors, I mounted Vanagon mirrors on body. I drive a lot in town with windshield down and ski gogals on.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevehenderson wrote:
I constantly get pulled over for driving the Thing. I always ask why you pulling me over before they speak. The answer is you can't drive that in Wisconsin They think it is a dune buggy, which they say is illegal to drive in any form in Wisconsin, which isn't even true. I hand them the registration and say am I free to go I'm busy.

Takes them 30 minutes in their car to just believe I did not jurry rig a vin number, I now carry a Title with me and some original factory pictures of a Thing. I end up telling them it's a imported German Jeep sold in the US 73-74 in the US.

Every time the Aholes check ever dam little item, lights wipers you name it. Then there is the discussion about emissions. I don't know why they hate the unusual. I guess they are hopping to write a ticket.

I don't use my doors, I mounted Vanagon mirrors on body. I drive a lot in town with windshield down and ski gogals on.

I know many people in law enforcement and have been an auxiliary officer with my local Police Department. What I say is based on my experience.

As a general rule Police gravitate towards something unusual/different. For the average cop on patrol life can be boring.

A Thing by itself is different. However there seems to be something more here. Either your car or you are attracting a lot of attention. I am thinking that driving with the windshield down and goggles on is a start.

Please don't take offense here. You should be able to do what you want as long as its legal. However the reality is you can be in the law but will still attract the attention of the police.

I would suggest you consider objectively looking at what is attracting the attention and taking corrective action. Also just by your post as to what you are saying to the Police invites them to hassle you.

Most Police get so much crap all the time from the public - disrespect and lies that when they meet someone who is polite, respectful and has concern for their well being their whole attitude changes.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Nova! Definently more to this story.

You make a great point about respecting the officer, and understanding their perspective. When 80% of your daily contact is with the lesser of society, you become suspicious of all..

Having an attitude with a LEO will only get you the same in return.

@stevehenderson,
If this truly happens That often, and you truly feel this is unwarranted "harassment", then You should make a formal complaint with the agency that is handling these contacts.
You have a road legal, titled and registered motor vehicle in your state, you shouldn't have to prove that too often.

Good luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck them, I have collector plates on my car and they should leave it alone unless I do something illegal. Having the windshield up doesn't matter. I know cops who tell me many of their fellow officers pull over old looking cars in the hopes of finding something wrong to write tickets. Yea I disrespect these types, they are money collectors although I think they have quotas to fill. 3 times in the last five years or so they made me late for something. It is not just Things, any altered or old cars or bikes my friends have get pulled over often. My Thing is a little rough looking but very mechanicly sound and is not noisy. If I don't like the fact that they pulled me overview I will not hesitate to let them know by being snide to them. It also pisses me of that they say dune buggies are illegal, since several of my friends have them and they have to go to court to get their tickets thrown out. Then their is my hard tail HD--a whole another story. Just driving an old rusty pickup will get you pulled over. One time someone called in for me cutting them off. Just because the other car was a new beetle, ironic, the officer assumed It was true since I had this sorta crappy looking old thing. He even lied and said their was 3rd party witness to try and get me to confess to something that never happened. The person was just pissed off I was going 45 in a 55 it turned out. I told the cop the new beetle passed me and did a road rage thing he got them to fess up, and left me alone. He then backed off on 3rd party story. I called the chief the next day and he said yes this a legal tactic for them to use. I honestly think 70% of cops are dicks. Maybe because they get smacked by people weekly.

I haven't got a ticket in 30 years.
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is more of an underlying situation here, maybe not enough hugs as a youngster. i would like to the the first to offer a evening by the campfire singing Kumbaya drinking Old Style and hugging til we giggle
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Kumbiya Reply with quote

Or move to another state thats "Thing Friendly"
LOL Very Happy
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you share what State/City you live in?

Where I am at most of the police like cars. Last summer I went cross country in my RV towing my Thing and driving it around with VA Antique Plates. If anything would have attracted attention I would think that would have.

Never had a problem.
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida cops love things...

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: