Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1997, 1998, 1999 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From the current Alabama seller:
Quote:
I have just bought out this VW shop and I dont understand why you shut my ad down. The old owners wife said she had run into problems on your site but she helped me set the account up. I have never used your site . I own mitchell service center now and I an liq. it , It is so large it will take time. Do you have any suggestions for me.

I do not believe it but other opinions welcome.

I wouldn't believe it unless I saw the paperwork for the sale and business license (name change/ et cetera). Then double checked with the county that it's legitimate. It might be a hassle on the 'new owners' part (and yours), but worth it if it is as large as he says.

Just my 2 cents.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't fathom the amount of money that has changed hands among Samba folks over the years, and how little of it has been shared with Everett as a meager spiff thank you. This AL joker needs to pony up some earnest money just to begin the hard task of unfuching his bus hoard. He may not be a Mitchell- but likely he's a nephew who's really a son (this is Alabama). The proof of his business savvy is in a modest 1% fee per bus ad (paid up front, based on his estimated bus worth). If he won't do that, he ain't an liq. it(sic) on your site.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
This poor bus is having an identity crisis, Kombi (or westy?) done up to look like a deluxe, complete with bay window middle seat...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1759381

I know this bus. A friend of mine gave it to his nephew as a project. 61 kombi. The nephew and brother (nephew's Dad) restored it, well basically paid for a restoration. I don't know why they choose SWR/CB. IMO dove blue would have been better. The paint quality was nice. Nephew wasn't really into the bus, and about 4 years ago sold it for less than half what they had into it when he wanted a fancy wedding. Which is what happens when you pay a shop to restore a bus. There were some choices made when they restored this bus that did not make sense to me. But maybe I'm picky.
The average non-bus person thought this bus was really nice. It is shiny.
Bus nerds think it should be dove blue and don't like bay window seats.

The middle seat and beltline trim and rear bumper were added after it went to California.

I have more detailed pictures of this bus if someone is interested.
I thought the interior wood turned out nice. I had fun with bold patterned birch, and book matching everything. Didn't feel like it had to be stock wood for a westy. :D
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dawerks wrote:

It's priced like a Deluxe

A 61 deluxe in this condition for 37K would be extremely cheap.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a noob at this so I must be missing something...please help me out. Why do sellers list bumpers (front & rear) that look like they came off of two different buses and they won't seperate them? OG looking slash rear bumpers are getting harder to find. Fronts aren't a dime a dozen, but you get my drift...

I could understand it if they looked like they both weathered on the same bus...might as well say "give me $875 for the rear and I'll thrown in the front" Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1759801
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:
I have just bought out this VW shop and I dont understand why you shut my ad down. The old owners wife said she had run into problems on your site but she helped me set the account up. I have never used your site . I own mitchell service center now and I an liq. it , It is so large it will take time. Do you have any suggestions for me.

I wouldn't believe it unless I saw the paperwork for the sale and business license (name change/ et cetera). Then double checked with the county that it's legitimate. It might be a hassle on the 'new owners' part (and yours), but worth it if it is as large as he says.

Just my 2 cents.

^^This^^

This is your site and you can set any limits you wish on who is able to use it. Put the burden on this "new" owner to prove he is not in any way affiliated with the Mitchells (including a relative.) Certainly, the tone of his ads plus the shady way of not disclosing the hacked condition of the 23 window bus, leads one to doubt if this is truly a different person. You are under no obligation to let anyone use your site that you are uncomfortable with or gives you a bad feeling. If you wish to leave the door open to him, follow the suggestion in the post above and put the ball in his court.

As far as you're concerned (and most followers on the site), he must prove that he is a new owner with something besides words on the internet.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
dawerks wrote:
I knew this was a conversion the second I saw the front skylight windows. It's very hard (if not impossible!) to get the front skylight windows perfectly lined up. I had to re-clip my original 21 Window and it stuck out. Grumpy's has been doing these conversions for a while and those front skylight windows aren't right.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1760681

The other one on his site looks pretty good to me. It is too bad we really cannot have a good discussion on this site regarding conversions. What works, what does not, what a potential buyer should look at. There are a lot of them being done...

I remember my old 23 front skylight glass not sitting perfectly level (real bus), it became a huge pet peeve of mine to look at this on every 23. The fronts are tough with the extra compound curves.

That's funny, I was just going to post this one and say the windows look good, but not... perfect. They still seem odd because the 'curve' angle just seems off. Edit; more precisely, the top of the front skylight window seems 'in' more and the back seems 'out' more. It looks odd.

My 56 and 57's, the windows look... perfect. Even in pictures, but I might just be delusional or seeing things. But the second posted 23 does look better than the first one.

It's easy to 'line' up the windows. It's easy to weld them in. But it's hard to get that weird compound curve to match the side windows. I would highly suggest someone spend some extra time checking in person to make sure it doesn't bother them.

(For the record, I don't care what anyone does with their money, they earned it, they spent it, just pointing out what really sticks out to me personally.)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Alabama feedback - everything said so far makes sense.

I have good luck in the past by telling people "prove it" when there is some question about legitimacy.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of conversion 23s.
I have had 2 people who know this Bus email me saying that this Bus is not a real 23-Window:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1750005

Reported to me:
- Grumpy's did the conversion of an 11-Window in S. CA.
- Vin plates are reproductions/fakes

I'm not going to say exactly what is wrong but there I believe there is an error in his M-code plate that shows it's not a real 23-Window.
M-code plate:
30 10 2
372 081 195
UP 241 TK BLW 1.....

This person previously had a Mouse Grey 23 for sale too and it was also reported to me that his previous Bus was not a real 23 either.

Both were/are being represented as real 23-Windows.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I have had 2 people who know this Bus email me saying that this Bus is not a real 23-Window:

Reported to me:

I'm not going to say exactly what is wrong but there I believe there is an error in his M-code plate that shows it's not a real 23-Window.
M-code plate:
30 10 2
372 081 195
UP 241 TK BLW 1.....

This person previously had a Mouse Grey 23 for sale too and it was also reported to me that his previous Bus was not a real 23 either.

Wow!! if this is true then he needs to be banned. I have no problem with clones ( in fact i think they are a great idea) As long as they are represented as such and priced accordingly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Reported to me:

M-code plate:
30 10 2
372 081 195
UP 241 TK BLW 1.....

There is a detail with the right rear corner window metal that made me believe the rear skin is EIS, there is a minor difference... I don't know it is fake, but there are a few items I would want to inspect.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Reported to me:

M-code plate:
30 10 2
372 081 195
UP 241 TK BLW 1.....

There is a detail with the right rear corner window metal that made me believe the rear skin is EIS, there is a minor difference... I don't know it is fake, but there are a few items I would want to inspect.

Do tell on the detail you're talking about?
also look at the 62 passenger side seat and a 63 drivers seat

edit : on second look I'm not sure what's going on with the pass seat.
either a 63 up seat with hooks rewelded (which I doubt) or a 62 seat with a 63 up cover on with additional padding on the bottom so the cover would fit. so they could buy a matching set of covers for a 63 and use them on the seats they had. I think the latter is what is going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second bus that he hasn't learned to paint the dog leg and door jamb correctly. For any amount of money, real or fake, that should be done right.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Reported to me:

M-code plate:
30 10 2
372 081 195
UP 241 TK BLW 1.....

Take a look at the under dash kick panels.
These are octagonal headlight buckets (early 63 bus), with kick panels for egg shaped buckets (which fit a late 63 bus).
The fit is poor; they installed the wrong version.

Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:

I'm new to the split bus world and this site, but I do believe that common sense shows this is BS. I can't believe this Mitchell story (I read the multiple threads connected to this) and other stories of scammers that keep continuing? It is entertaining however.

Who would purchase a business, have very little knowledge of the business / industry, then need the sellers help to set them up to sell the inventory? I understand it's Alabama, but no one is this stupid! (no offense meant to anyone from Alabama - except the Mitchell's). It's obviously the same people.

I don't know you Everett, or if this is your full time job? But you manage this site amazingly well and I can only guess how many hours you spend doing this. Its an amazing resource.

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe
customcityjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can always put their stuff on ebay.
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwinw wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

Who would purchase a business, have very little knowledge of the business / industry, then need the sellers help to set them up to sell the inventory? I understand it's Alabama, but no one is this stupid! (no offense meant to anyone from Alabama - except the Mitchell's). It's obviously the same people.

I agree Everett runs a great site! Thanks again and everybody pay the thank you dues! As for the possible buyer, it's an entertaining story, make them prove it.

And people make dumb decisions and buy stuff they don't know every day. I once sold a guy 18 truckloads of food supplies and "to go" containers(he paid a lot). 5 years later I called him on another project, he still had the first stuff sitting in his warehouse! Someone else talked him into it, then he didn't know what to do with it. It happens all the time. So the guy may be telling the truth, we'll see.
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwinw wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

I'm new to the split bus world and this site, but I do believe that common sense shows this is BS. I can't believe this Mitchell story (I read the multiple threads connected to this) and other stories of scammers that keep continuing? It is entertaining however.

I don't know you Everett, or if this is your full time job? But you manage this site amazingly well and I can only guess how many hours you spend doing this. Its an amazing resource.

I have a small anecdote. A few years ago when my grandma retired, she sold her hair salon shop business to someone else. That other person decided it was a good idea to change the phone number to a business that had had the same phone number for over 40 years. Needless to say she went out of business within a few months. She was upset that no one was going in anymore.

She refused to pay us the remainder of the money for the shop for the longest time.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear bumper is worth more than the front, so this forces the buyer to pay a premium on an rather pedestrian front bumper in order to get the rear. Otherwise, the rear bumper would sell quickly, and the front bumper would languish in the guy's back yard for another 10 years. This way gets rid of the front bumper and gets an above-market price for it. Everybody wins! Well, except for the poor schmuck buyer.

RHD Notch wrote:
I'm still a noob at this so I must be missing something...please help me out. Why do sellers list bumpers (front & rear) that look like they came off of two different buses and they won't seperate them? OG looking slash rear bumpers are getting harder to find. Fronts aren't a dime a dozen, but you get my drift...

I could understand it if they looked like they both weathered on the same bus...might as well say "give me $875 for the rear and I'll thrown in the front" Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1759801

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181684064478?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#

Not a big whine. Though I think it is overpriced, the market will settle that score. I just posted it here to warn a potential buyer that this bus was laid pretty hard on its left side a long time ago. It is not pretty in person. A friend of mine sold this bus recently and it has now been polished up a little bit to sell. No idea on the mechanicals since it was sold as a roller by my friend.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181684064478?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#

Not a big whine. Though I think it is overpriced, the market will settle that score. I just posted it here to warn a potential buyer that this bus was laid pretty hard on its left side a long time ago. It is not pretty in person. A friend of mine sold this bus recently and it has now been polished up a little bit to sell. No idea on the mechanicals since it was sold as a roller by my friend.

wow, that is one ugly bus.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1997, 1998, 1999 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 1998 of 2710

Jump to: