Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace pistons and cylinders while i am in here?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I have not pulled the cylinders off yet. I see aircooled.net has these http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Economy-Piston-Cylinder-Set-85-5mm-x-69mm-Cast-p/vw8550t1.htm anyone used those? This bus will see maybe 2500 miles per year at the most. So if i can get another 25k reliable miles out of this engine i would be plenty happy. Also am thinking i should throw a new oil pump in.

An oil filter oil pump is always a good upgrade.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no burnt oil on the piston sides, you might consider just honing the cylinders and changing the rings.

That said, AA is making much better piston and cylinder sets than just a few years ago. I put a set of 87 mm (1641cc) AA's in my bus last December and have had no issues in the sub-zero Wisconsin winter. Except, of course, for the ice crystals in my clutch cable tube that make me have to lift the clutch pedal with my foot after every shift on days when the temperature is below 10 degrees F. Have a new cable, clevis pin, wing nut, cartridge of silicone grease, and Bowden tube waiting for a warm day to install them.

Somebody on Ebay has AA 85.5 sets for $130 plus $15 shipping. New heads are only $175 each if you don't mind them being "made in China" and the set I bought look good although I haven't installed them yet. $395 for two including pushrod tubes, a gasket set and shipping from Dune Buggy Warehouse.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John at Aircooled doesnt seem to sell junk and you could probably ask him if they are AAs. I suspect they are. Price looks good. Filter pump - just make sure that you wont have clearance issues with your exhaust and get a decent quality one. Keep in mind that there are various size filters that you can use on them. I run a NAPA Gold 1342 (I think) which is fairly small.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
John at Aircooled doesnt seem to sell junk and you could probably ask him if they are AAs. I suspect they are. Price looks good. Filter pump - just make sure that you wont have clearance issues with your exhaust and get a decent quality one. Keep in mind that there are various size filters that you can use on them. I run a NAPA Gold 1342 (I think) which is fairly small.

I think that's the size I run on my bug. I have had to bend the heat riser tube and front pulley tin to make the pumps fit, but definitely with it for clean oil!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since the engine is already out and the bus is not yet even road worthy it's not a big deal. Heads have already been rebuilt by brothers machine and they look great. I plan on getting a new stock bus exhaust setup. I thought i read that those filter style pumps have issues with clearing the exhaust? Anyone have experience with using one with stock exhaust. I think i will plan on buying the cylinder set from aircooled.net that i linked, a new oil pump either regular or filter style if it will work, and new rod bearings i suppose. I have new push rod tubes already.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled a rod bearing and on the back it says 1.00 is that standard? Have never seen one that was marked with that before.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the time it would take to tear the block back down to replace the pistons and cylinders later, I would replace them now while the heads are off. For a stock build the AA are really nice, my experience is they're weight matched perfectly out of the box. Can't say the same for Mahle's lately, and they're $50 more..
The set of AA 87's I just bought were $145 delivered, at that price I won't gamble with borderline parts.

On your rod bearing, I think 1.00 would be a full mm over, or .040"
If so that crank is on it's last spin..

for comparison, I have a crank I'm assembling, it's on the first cut, .010"-.25mm, and the bearings are marked .25
standard bearings are usually marked std, or not at all.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, have not ever replaced the rod bearings unles the engine was being completely torn down. One more note on the AA's on the last set I installed, the ring gap was perfect except maybe one ring and it was close enough, but I took a hair off anyway. Filter pump - there are 2 styles and which one you use is dictated by the cam gear (dished or flat). You'll need to pull you stock pump to see which one you need.

Maybe try a search on here for clearance with a stock bus exhaust. Might be a non-issue and once again - you can use various sized filters.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Keep in mind that there are various size filters that you can use on them. I run a NAPA Gold 1342 (I think) which is fairly small.[/quote]

I just bought one of these for a cb pump for a '66Westy 1600 Dual port. It was Napa Gold 1374.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead and placed an order with aircooled.net. Got those economy 85.5mm p&c set, rod bearings, CB maxi filter pump for flat 3 bolt cam and some new seals for the engine. Hopefully i should be good to go after this. If i can get another 20-30k out of this engine i will be happy since i will probably not be driving it more than 2500 miles per year. Thanks for all the help with this!
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: