Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank Start VW Engine?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kolapi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Crank Start VW Engine? Reply with quote

What years did VW use the crank bolt that allowed you to "hand start" your engine? I have a manual that says they discontinued this in '49. Is that right? Also, what year did they change the oil drain bolt position from the case to the drain plate? My engine has these but the manual says it's a '59.

Just trying to figure these things out.

Kolapi
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Crank Start VW Engine? Reply with quote

You are correct with the 1949 figure for the beetle however, the bus kept the crank start feature throughout the close of the 36hp engine in 1959. My 57 Kombi is all set up for the hand crank possibility. Its kinda fun to hand crank in a crowded parking lot. Leaves s quite a few people scratching their noggins(heads). The later engines cannot use this option since only the 36 horse rear tin has the hole for the crank. I suppose you could drill a hole in your apron and rear tin...

Only 36 horse engines had the drain plug in the case. All later engines have the drain plate in the sump plate. The last 36 horse engiens dropped the drain plug in the case as well they moved it to the sump plate. If you have a 36 hp engine without the case drain plug its a good bet that it is indeed a 1959 36hp engine. Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kolapi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Crank Start VW Engine? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! That's one of those things that would be in the back of my mind for awhile til it's figured out. That's what I get for only thinking type 1!

Kolapi
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Crank Start VW Engine? Reply with quote

Own a split from march 1950 and you can hand start it, and it's original!aircooled greetings from holland !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: