Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Screens Reply with quote

Hi Guys, so glad you are posting about these new sliding windows. I bought 4 to put into my 77 Westfalia, but they are sitting in a shop and won't be touched for a bit longer so it's exciting to see the reports and comments coming in!

I too have been wondering about screen options. Previously I did some research and found this firm:

flexiscreens.com

Note they offer odd shape service, but their new website isn't giving much info.

Security is a thought....would you guys weld them into place or ?

I haven't ordered anything pending discussion with my shop. I suppose we could also just draw a template and take it to a screen shop and have them custom made, right?

Depending on who gets to it first, it would be great to come up with a screen template that can be shared here. Unfortunately, I can't get access to my windows for some time still. If anyone beats me to it please do share?

In a perfect world, I'm hoping someone who is crafty with screen frames and black no-see-um screen material will work up some for sale in the next few months. Very Happy Question
Ion Pod Trailer
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I'm really excited to get mine put in when they come, but worry about the can of worms that will open, at least with the '73. Because the headliner needs replaced (several tears) and it could probably use some paint work too...

Neither of which I'm really able to do for a while. So do I put them in and enjoy them now, or wait or what! ha ha. I might see if I can order the gaskets to have a second set on hand. Then I can install the windows for now, and reinstall later when I do all that stuff.

At least on the '78 the rear windows don't touch headliner material so the can of worms is smaller. I would need to fix up some rust that has formed from leaky window seals.

They don't advertise any for middle or side windows, but this is the right idea for screens for these things without altering the bus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1121165

Perhaps the seller could be talked into making a (few) set(s).

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I might see if I can order the gaskets to have a second set on hand. Then I can install the windows for now, and reinstall later when I do all that stuff.
No need to. You can fold the inside lip over and remove the windows without destroying the seal.

I would need to fix up some rust that has formed from leaky window seals.
Best to at least get in there and stop the rust with some rust converter and some rust inhibitor primer and paint. May make the difference between dealing with some surface rust know. Versus welding in patch panels later.

They don't advertise any for middle or side windows, but this is the right idea for screens for these things without altering the bus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1121165
That would work. But I would drive off with them still on and they would be gone.

Perhaps the seller could be talked into making a (few) set(s).

Good Day
Tcash
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make them so you can magnet them to the inside! Then when they blow off, they'll be inside the bus!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Make them so you can magnet them to the inside! Then when they blow off, they'll be inside the bus!

Good idea Idea
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it when they first came out. Don't believe the 'new' middle sliding windows d, either.

Tcash wrote:
chabanais wrote:
I would but can't use deluxe aluminum trim insert I think.

This is the question.
Does this slider use the oem seal?
If it uses the oem seal can you use the deluxe seal?

Thanks
Tcash

VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some in today, they went in super nice. Sliders in the middle and full glass in the rear are where it's at!

Oh yea, this bus has one of those "unusable, impossible to install" TMI headliners too Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Sliders in the middle and full glass in the rear are where it's at!

I guess you won't be camping in that Bus Very Happy

Nice by the way.
72 Baja
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
I put some in today, they went in super nice. Sliders in the middle and full glass in the rear are where it's at!

Oh yea, this bus has one of those "unusable, impossible to install" TMI headliners too Wink

Nice looking color combo!

I thought about doing solids in the back, but decided if I was sitting in the back, I might like having an open window too! ha ha

I will have to make sure nobody has their head out the passenger side rear window when the slider is opened. Shocked

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in the sliding windows for the rear sides of my bus, already having the westfalia jalousies in the middle window position. A while back I emailed Just Kampers to inquire about screens for their sliding windows and they indicated none were available.

I have 2 outside window screens from what I believe was a Riviera camper. They measure 23" long and 16" high and appear to attach with screws to the metal frame.

So here's my question:
For those of you that have the rear sliders, what is the distance from the outside forward part of the metal frame to the rear edge of the center support post? And what is the top to bottom distance of the metal frame.

Here is what I have shown being held up to a 79 middle sliding window:

Last edited by pittwagen on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi, the frames are made out of Aluminium.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the JK frames are aluminum. Still need to know the dimensions requested from my previous post.
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
I am interested in the sliding windows for the rear sides of my bus, already having the westfalia jalousies in the middle window position. A while back I emailed Just Kampers to inquire about screens for their sliding windows and they indicated none were available.

I have 2 outside window screens from what I believe was a Riviera camper. They measure 23" long and 16" high and appear to attach with screws to the metal frame.

So here's my question:
For those of you that have the rear sliders, what is the distance from the outside forward part of the metal frame to the rear edge of the center support post? And what is the top to bottom distance of the metal frame.

Here is what I have shown being held up to a 79 middle sliding window:

The distance from the outside forward part of the metal frame to the rear edge of the center support post is 21-1/8" , but the sliding glass covers the center support post and slides over it towards the outside.
The top to bottom distance of the metal frame is 15-3/4".

pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. So my screen would essentially cover top to bottom and rearward just enough to keep the bugs from getting around the edge as there is that hair looking material (don't know what it is called) to sweep the glass and keep all but the most determined bugs out. Great.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Tip for getting the cord into the groove of the rubber seal Reply with quote

Nice to see a review and installed photos of these windows. Looks like they fit well.

Here's a tip for getting the cord into the groove of the rubber seal. Use a bic pen tube, run the cord through the tube, and slip it into the groove. You can have that cord installed in a matter of seconds. Not my original idea, but I cannot recall where I first learned it or I would give credit.

rustybusjef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this thread ,my 1971 has three vent or wing windows with rusty leaking frames so that I can't start redoing the interior. Its also time for a new headliner and beltline up paint job . Perfect timing ! Do the jalousie windows really make that much noise ? I will be going to great lengths with a dynamat type product to quiet down this rattletrap , would hate to have the road noise canceled just to have wind noise replace it .
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I would but can't use deluxe aluminum trim insert I think.

Damn never thought about this! Do the OEM louvered ones work with deluxe trim? I want to get some air in my camper but still keep the deluxe trim!

Build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7257521
suffecool2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the middle & side rear. I got them from Bus depot, but the same brand. I love them, but my center driver-side handle popped off of the glass! Not the best angle, but they look good to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought both middle sliders with seals from bus depot about a month ago and decided I'm going to install them in my 73 bus this weekend. One question for those of you who have already done this with the Just Kampers sliders. Today in prep for tomorrow install I put the seals on them. I have to say compared to the other windows I have replaced, I have done all last summer to replace bad seals, these seals seem loose around the frame of the slider once I got them pulled around all 4 corners. Have any of you noticed that too? I'm used to the other glass where the seal definitely popped on and was tight once on but these seem sort of sloppy makes me wonder if I am missing something obvious. Also there doesn't seem to be a deep outside edge grove to put the cord in. Hopefully I am putting these on right and goes in good tomorrow.

Thanks
Rob
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the seals be rolled, and you have installed the car side of the seal to the frame, and the frame side is now facing "out/up"?

I got mine on Wednesday, but they are still sitting in the box, because I know I need to prepare to do a little rust fixing on the bus before I do anything else. Though as I type this, I am realizing it would be wise to open it and check for breakage.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: