Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Popes nose / brake light wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Popes nose / brake light wiring Reply with quote

Trying to sort out the wiring for the popes nose on my 49. My bulb holder has three spots for wires but the harness is two wires - gray/red and black/red.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm pretty sure the red/black is connected to the center post. Which post does the gray/red go on, and what goes on the other?

The diagrams look like there might be a very short wire that I need to add.

Can anyone help out with what goes where?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black/Red is the brake light and goes on the center terminal Nancy, grey red is for the lic. plate illumination and goes on the one on the left/lower in your pic. The one on the right/top is a ground and you don't need to connect anything there. I have seen some bulbholders with it and some without.

That being said, make sure the bulbholder gets good ground to the popes nose, and the popes nose to the deck lid, and the decklid to the body. Often with newly painted cars this is a problem. You may need to scrape away a little paint in each location, underneath washers, etc.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Yes, it's very hard to be filing through the new paint, but I've got my multimeter and I should be good to go through to the hinges

Onward with the reassembly!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: