Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
What's the purpose of an "emulsion" tube in a 34PICT-3 carb, or any other VW carb for that matter?

Thanks,
Victor

Because it helps to emulsify the fuel. (mix air with it) Also serves as a metering jet.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
vamram wrote:
What's the purpose of an "emulsion" tube in a 34PICT-3 carb, or any other VW carb for that matter?

Thanks,
Victor

Because it helps to emulsify the fuel. (mix air with it) Also serves as a metering jet.

Thanks - can a carb run w/out it?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do thank ALL of you that ansewer my stupid questions. Best VW forum
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
modok wrote:
vamram wrote:

Thanks,
Victor

Sorry to quote myself but - I've been told that I can run the 34/3 w/out the emulsion tube and just keep changing out the idle jet until I get to one that works...part of a discussion about MPG. Has anybody done this successfully?

In other words - is it possible to and is there any benefit to running the 34/3 carb w/out the emulsion tube?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Sorry to quote myself but - I've been told that I can run the 34/3 w/out the emulsion tube and just keep changing out the idle jet until I get to one that works...part of a discussion about MPG. Has anybody done this successfully?

In other words - is it possible to and is there any benefit to running the 34/3 carb w/out the emulsion tube?

I'm confused… I've usually seen emulsion tubes on air-correction jets, which are not in play at idle at all. What are you trying to accomplish?

How will you know when you've changed out your idle jet to one that "works"? (The numbers on them are usually wrong, so I always check them with a jet gauge.) You can seriously mess up your engine with an over-lean idle jet when going for fuel economy. Tuning on this edge without an air-fuel ratio meter/sensor is risky business.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie - thanks for the reply. Is there an AFR that you would recommend for a stock 1600dp w/a stock muffler?

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Robbie - thanks for the reply. Is there an AFR that you would recommend for a stock 1600dp w/a stock muffler?

Victor

That's a really loaded question. The AFR will change based on load, RPM, timing, and intake/exhaust flow. So we want a richer ratio during acceleration, a slightly rich ratio while cruising, and a stoichiometric or slightly leaner ratio when at high RPMs letting off the throttle. An idle at stoichiometric or slightly richer is your goal too.

The idle/pilot jet affect your mixture when you're accelerating in low RPMs. It also affects your base idle, which you then fine tune with the mixture and volume screws. Your main jet takes over from there, working with the air correction jet to keep you from going to far in either correction.

Let's go to this thread if we want to talk about sensor tuning; I've tuned by feel for years, and just started using a wide-band O2 sensor this year, and it has confirmed all of my "gut" feelings of jetting, timing, and idle tuning.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525240

So I ask you:
What are you trying to achieve, and why do you think taking off an emulsion tube will solve your issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
vamram wrote:

Victor

That's a really loaded question. The AFR will change based on load, RPM, timing, and intake/exhaust flow. So we want a richer ratio during acceleration, a slightly rich ratio while cruising, and a stoichiometric or slightly leaner ratio when at high RPMs letting off the throttle. An idle at stoichiometric or slightly richer is your goal too.

The idle/pilot jet affect your mixture when you're accelerating in low RPMs. It also affects your base idle, which you then fine tune with the mixture and volume screws. Your main jet takes over from there, working with the air correction jet to keep you from going to far in either correction.

Let's go to this thread if we want to talk about sensor tuning; I've tuned by feel for years, and just started using a wide-band O2 sensor this year, and it has confirmed all of my "gut" feelings of jetting, timing, and idle tuning.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525240

So I ask you:
What are you trying to achieve, and why do you think taking off an emulsion tube will solve your issues?

Robbie, apologies, i posted an incomplete question. I meant to ask about an "AFR SENSOR", not the AFR itself.

I have that thread bookmarked and have just started making my way thru it. Check out this thread (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621196&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) for details what i'm trying to accomplish - better MPG out of my basic 1600dp. This is thesamba so you'll some of the usual silliness on it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to tell if the Upper Strut bearing mounts are worn?
I didn't see anything in the Bently book.
I'm going to be doing the suspension soon on my 73 SB. Never driven it so I don't know how it handled before.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
vamram wrote:
modok wrote:
vamram wrote:

Thanks,
Victor

That is a cheap carb, if they could have left it out they would have!
All carbs have emulsion tubes or wells, they can sometimes be improved, but you have to be very lucky to find an improvement.

In addition to the usual, tune with the venturi size, main air jet size, and idle air jet size.

WAIT....i get it. I think what you read was about disabling the main system so you can tuning idle jet size only. Yeah you caould leave out the tube and air jet for tuning purposes.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:

WAIT....i get it. I think what you read was about disabling the main system so you can tuning idle jet size only. Yeah you caould leave out the tube and air jet for tuning purposes.

AH-HAH! Thanks Modok. Question is - can i really tune the carb better by doing this or is this just a hack?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
LemonheadWhitaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Super Beetles & Standard Beetles Reply with quote

I know that the 1303 Super Beetles had the big panoramic windshield installed primarily to pass crash tests. How were the flat-windowed standard Beetles able to be sold beside them? Did they still meet the Federal crash requirement?
Lmcook919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Fuse Box Wiring Reply with quote

I am working on rewiring the fuse box of a 1973 1303. (I am currently trying to salvage the shotty wiring, that was with the car when I bought it, for a short time). I have shot wires from disconnect to disconnect and traced wires through the appropriate wiring diagram. I notice on some of the fuse box layout that some fuses almost looked as though they are chained together.

Any guidance (if that is the case) on what fuses go together and Do I simply run the appropriate gauge wire from terminal to terminal on the upper part of the fuse box that has two terminals together? Any information would be greatly appreciated I am hoping to figure this out before i get it completely rewired and try to crank it up for the first time after the salvage.

I am using the two tier fuse box with the relay tower attached if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Lmcook919
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "flash" time of a paint mean?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetles & Standard Beetles Reply with quote

LemonheadWhitaker wrote:
I know that the 1303 Super Beetles had the big panoramic windshield installed primarily to pass crash tests. How were the flat-windowed standard Beetles able to be sold beside them? Did they still meet the Federal crash requirement?

My understanding is that in USA standard stopped and it was Supers only due to this safety legislation.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panoramic windshield began in the US w/the '73 Super. Standards were sold alongside these Supers through 1977.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Type1_trans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Panoramic windshields Reply with quote

The curved windshields were introduced because there was serious lobbying to introduce a requirement in the US safety standards for a minimum distance from the back of the steering wheel to the inside of the windshield that would have killed beetle sales overnight.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of R & D and of course production costs for an uncertain US-only law. Weren't 1303s sold everywhere?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's my understanding that at the time there was a lot of uncertainty at VW concerning the product line up. failure of the type 4 program was evident by then, the EA266 had just been axed, and success of the soon to be watercooled range was far from granted. beetle sales were still strong, albeit not in '60s numbers, so in this frame it probably made some sense to them to keep the bug "futureproof" just in case, and eventually drop the torsion bar beetle entirely.

then the golf came around, and things changed again.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post!

I just purchased a 69 Baja and I am beginning the tear down and clean up process. This car will be completely restored and is to be my 8 yr old sons first vehicle. I plan to purchase another VW for his twin sister as her first!

I am looking for a replacement panel for the engine firewall. The one in my car seems to be rusted completely through. Not the interior panel....just the exterior one. I am not sure if this is available or not, as I cannot seem to find one by searching the interwebs.....help! LOL

The floorboards and heater channels seem to be fine, but the kick panels and this firewall need attention. Hopefully I can get the body off of the pan this weekend and really get a look at what is needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 128

Jump to: