Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Differing 2.0T Engines
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Differing 2.0T Engines Reply with quote

I have three VWs with 2.0T engines -- a 2009 Eos, a 2013 Tiguan, and a 2014 Tiguan. I have been reading and hearing horror stories lately. My investigation has reached an impasse of sorts. Apparently, there are at least three different 2.0T engine versions -- an EA113, an EA888 or two (generation 1 & 2), and an EA888 (generation 3). I'm not sure if Gen 1 & Gen 2 are lumped together because of their similarities or just out of convenience.

Do all three of my cars have timing chains? (I think YES but want to be sure.)

Which 2.0T does each of my cars have?

Is the tensioner issue an issue on all three cars? (Both Tiguans are still under warranty, but I would still like to know.)

Can the tensioner and/or other parts be swapped prior to catastrophe? If so, what should I be asking for?

I mostly read problems with Tiguans, but I have heard these problems existing on the CC, Eos, and GTI as well. I also heard VW quietly made a change during the middle of the 2012 model year, but I have not read or heard any confirmation on that. I might guess some of this is related to the differing engines but I don't want to be guessing -- especially if I can be proactive with Eos. It has been a very good car but I get spooked easily.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue. There should be a label either on the motor or on the build label that gives engine code. Or you could call parts/service desk at a dealer w/ VIN and they can tell you what engine code you have.

GL with those DI motors, my brother has had a couple of the CC's with no issues, but I'll stay with port injection for the foreseeable future.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no issues either with Eos closing in on 80k miles and the 2013 Tiguan closing in on 20k. What bothers me is the shop where I scheduled the 80k mile check-up and oil change had two chain-driven 2.0T cars die on their customers without warning only to find a massive repair or replace bill in their future should they proceed.

Internet rumors state there is a bulletin but the one link that was included sent me to a bulletin about a Lexus. Other rumors state VW made a recall and change in Germany and Belgium but not elsewhere.

I kept my Eos after buying the 2014 Tiguan because (1) I like it and I have always said I wish I could have kept the other VWs I once owned, and (2) I bought Eos new and have already taken the brunt of the depreciation. Keeping Eos could be ironic if the $8-11k Eos becomes a $2-3k parts car one morning -- not the fate I want for the VW I actually decided to keep with the engine I once touted as possibly being VWs best ever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: