Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A test of patience with a newer Vw owner
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

I had the strangest thing happen today. It was 65 degrees and sunny in Boise (a new record), so I opened my ragtop's roof and headed into the big city to do some estate sale(ing). I picked up a an old friend to join- because I can't get in trouble with my wife when he's with me.

We parked in front of a sale, and while he was dragging his feet inside, I hung around my open car when two (close) mid 50-something guys walked up (I'm 47). "Is that yours" one asked, and I said yes. "What year?" So I replied '62. He walked around it, and opened the deck lid! I thought, well, he's a little balsy- but harmless. He proceeded to remark about the cleanliness of the engine and the 12 volt conversion. He then didn't know how to close the lid- letting the T handle just rest at 12 o'clock. So while I latched it for him he walked around the front, commented on the giant Cibie Oscar. "What's with the one big light thing (or something closely ignorant)." To which I replied, "It's just part of a vintage low-budget rally theme, along with the decals" (half the hood is covered). He proceeds to comment on wheel play, whether it had spring plates in the back, if I rebuilt the engine and so forth- but each question made him sound like he was looking at a beetle for the first time. I asked him if knew about these cars- and he replied that he's restoring a '69 Karmann Ghia. More inconsequential questions continue- so I decide he's pretty ignorant. I feel sorry fro this Ghia.

I'm thinking this guy is just not terribly bright, but lo, he surprised me. He opened the driver's door and hopped on in!

This is when I asked him if he had any questions while climbing into my car. He remarked with, "how much do you want for it?"
I'm steamed by now- and barked, "it's not for sale."

He jumped out, apologizing, and sorrying and going on about how his buddy thought he saw a sign on the hood (Hazet, a wrench and a fake rally plate mind you). His pal I guess is responsible for his dumbshitness.

This guy started trying to save face by commenting on valve adjustments and other maintenance things I'm sure he is just learning for the first time- because NOBODY questions other enthusiasts about the stuff this guy's pulling from his neck. I assured him I had a handle on such things, since I bought my first one in 1983. He brought up the stopwatches and didn't understand anything about vintage racing- just to get in one more dig to save face. His partner just stood there, nothing to add. I dismissed them both by saying "well I guess that's about it, good day."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to it. Confused
There's always some dumb-a** who is gonna attempt to "impress" you with his VW knowledge, gained when he "had one of these back in 19XX".

Then he's gonna ask "How much you want for it?" like the only reason you built it was to sell. Mad

I was at a show once when a guy, & I guess his 12 or so year old daughter did it to me.
They're walking around my car and he's asking where I get parts & how much we (VW folks) spend on restoring these things. I tell him it's a labor of love, and the money don't matter 'cause these cars are like our kids to us. He immediately asks: "How much do you want for her?" I look at his daughter and respond; "I don't know. How much do you want for her?"

He turned and stormed away. It felt good! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that some people think it's ok to just pop open our deck lids and look at our engines like the car is theirs? I've owned many different cars over the years, and of the three VW's I've owned, every single one has been violated by some assclown "just looking" at the engine. It amazes me.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have people grab my fiberglass wrapped exhaust on my buggy all the time, sometimes with their kids in tow. I guess they want to see if its hot, but what a lousy example to set for a kid. Strangely enough I've seen folks really commit to grasping it and jerking on it rather than just tapping with a fingertip like you might do with, I dunno, anything you think is hot......

If folks are respectful and ask, I'll usually let their kids climb in to the car for a photo op but I have come out to the car a few times to see people standing next to the car watching their kids use my cage like a jungle gym. They (the parents) get an earful from me, I usually ask if I can bring my son over to their car and let him dance on the roof.....
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the ones who stop to BS and lean on your car...I have asked more than once after they lean..."Are you tired?" they reply with an odd look and say why....or say no....I then say well if you are tired...lay on the ground...NOT the car! They usually don't stay long for a BS session Smile
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
He waked around it, and opened the deck lid!

And for me....this is where the conversation and interaction would end .....

I semi-sorta-kinda, understand the confusion that these two novice car clowns assumed it may be up for sale... funky odd signage lettering on it, someone just standing by an old car at an auction, but even though....you simply dont touch another persons property without permission.

I would have walked over, shut and latched the lid and state... "Would you like for me to hike your ladies dress up without asking first?" ... I think the message of dont touch my shit without asking would be delivered.

I like people to admire my cars, and if they ask I have ZERO problem with touching or fondling after me being asked first...
Asking = thats just respect.

The general VW crowd is generally pretty forgiving.. if this would have been a Corvette owner.. the owner either would have...., had a heart attack, called to police, or beat on the guy...
Sounds like hitest handled it with some class.. Wink

If it were a bunch of crumb crunchers using it as a Jungle Gym.. like wythac....oh yeah....I bet we'd all snap.

Had a couple of cute teenage chicks walk up to my Buggy at a camp ground once...
I was just sitting back chilling and watching where it was headed... Wink
They started leaning on it just a little and snapping pictures.. I yelled "HEY" and they both seemed to jump out of their skin.. Laughing .. When they started apologizing ... I kinda laughed and said " You can get much cooler pictures if you are sitting in it"... They were pretty stoked and hopped right it... Wink

Yeah seems VW's lures them all.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B52Gunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest, but I go out of my way to NOT touch/fondle another person's ride. Just seems rude to me to do otherwise. Fortunately, maybe it's because there are so many of us here, I've not had too many incidents with mine. I'm normally a pretty passive, laid back guy, but if something like this happened I'd have no problem showing my fangs.
73sedan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to my boy and I at the last show. We're just sitting back in deck chairs behind our cars and this guy starts looking in my super's window, head all inside. We're laughing, no big deal so we keep on our conversation on how to make world peace. Suddenly the guy opens the driver's door and sits down while his daughter (all of 11 yo) stares at us. Before I can holla he gets back out and slams the door.

I was aghast but he was already walking away with his kid before I could pick up my jaw from the ground.

What the hell is wrong with people? I have no problems with letting people sit in my cars, as long as they ask first.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dreaded door slam, "that's how you close the doors, right"?

I mean I slam my doors, but when others do it - it makes me cringe..

had someone stand on my bumper once....
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:

had someone stand on my bumper once....

Shocked I'd think his next position would be prone, on the ground, looking up, trying to find next week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

in my state... you'd likely be staring down the business end of a 45 if you stand on someone's bumper.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

I was at a cruise in slash car show.When the person who was putting the show on walked a past my car and his daughter preceded to take my mirror and work it up and down hard.I asked her rather loudly to not do that the parents turned around and looked at me like what she’s not hurting anything.Well the mirror fell off on the way home.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

It got so bad here we made bright signs that said “ please do not touch, rub, pat or fondle the car thank you” and for the most part if worked. Then I saw two teenage boys get into a car and try to unscrew shift knobs, I was on them quicker than a cat can lick his ass. I’m pretty sure these little bastards were going to steal something, they made a fast retreat. Twisted Evil
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

i havent been to a show in years but one of the ones i was at someone got into the front part of the mango and stole my Jack Daniels #7 Bung barrel plug souvenir from the distillery shop. I'm still pissed and that was years ago. It left a sour taste with me and the upcoming shows i will wind up locking up the bus because of it.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jakebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B52Gunner wrote:
I don't know about the rest, but I go out of my way to NOT touch/fondle another person's ride. Just seems rude to me to do otherwise. Fortunately, maybe it's because there are so many of us here, I've not had too many incidents with mine. I'm normally a pretty passive, laid back guy, but if something like this happened I'd have no problem showing my fangs.

My boys were taught at 5 years old that "car show rules" mean no touching, no rude comments about anyone's car, general manners and only sit in a car if the owner offers.

They're 12 and 10 now and all I have to say is "car show rules" and they know what's up.

I couldn't even imagine opening the engine compartment of a car I didn't own at a show.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A test of patience with a newer Vw owner Reply with quote

How many of you would act the same if it was a beautiful woman in a bathing suit?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: