Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear drum question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Rear drum question Reply with quote

Here is a question I hope someone here can answer for me. Has anyone had problems putting repop 8 spokes on the rear of a 69 Sqbck? Here is what I ran into . . . The rear drums on my 69 appear to be the 2 piece kind. There are 2 button head allen bolts that protrude from the face of the drum. They are between the lug nut holes exactly across from each other. Hence the drum face is not flat , but instead the 2 allen bolts stick out about a 1/4 of an inch.
I go to put on the 8 spokes and the back of the mag is flat, so it now rocks back and forth over the allen bolts. Do these bolts come out? Do I need spacers, thus pushing the wheel out even more? do I need different rear drums?
I came up with a solution but I am not so sure it was the best one. Here it is, I made a template to mark exactly where the allen bolts sit between the lug nut holues, then I transfered this position to the back of the mag wheel using the template. I marked it with a marker and with a 1/2" drill bit I "dimpled" the rear face of the Mag being carefull not to drill deeper than 1/4". I then used a ball shaped rasp bit to remove more material after each trail fitting. Results. . . the mag now sits perectly flat against the drum, I drove the car and it seems to ride just fine. So to all you type 3 owners who have more experience with type 3s than me, please give me some feedback. Thanks in Advance.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bolts are actuall just to assist in putting stock wheels on. They keep the hole in the drum lined up with the holes in the flange. If you take them out, your lug bolts take all the strain of stopping and starting. It just may be harder to get the lug bolts started..

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do that to my Western wheels that I have on my Notch. Two other type 3s that I have here running the 8 spokes didn't need any adjustment. I wonder if the manufacturer changed the back side of the rim mounting surface. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Zarana-X
Samba Dreadnok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have American Eagle 8-spokes on mine, and they fit fine. I know the back of the wheel has some hollow spots. I've seen other 8 spokes that are solid (and heavy), how many people knoked these off over the years? Confused
Anyway, if you need to dimple the wheels, heres a trick for locating the spot. Make sure the back of your wheel is clean. rub pencil, crayon, or grease on top of the button-head allen bolts and slip the wheel on. Your wheel will now be marked on where to drill. (this trick also works on installing hood pins) Cool .
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I made a template using card board, Now I can dimple between any 2 bolt holes and it will match up perfectly. I wonder when the went from flat faced rear drums to the kind with the two allen head buuton bolts or vice versa. Thanks for the replies, I think I got it all woked out. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: