Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nastynatesfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Generator? Reply with quote

Wondering what I can do to get some more out of my generator? I've got 2 hid 6" driving lights and I have a 36" led light bar in thinking of putting on. Can ire rush it or rewind it to get more amps out? It's a 1979 1600 motor...
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not really going to get more out of your generator it likely does about 30 amps if its working good and at the right RPM.
if your going to start running components like auxiliary lights or stereos or any other toys you need to convert to an alternator. A base model alternator will do 55 amps and a higher end model will do 75amps. when you add up what your drawing off it then it starts to make sense. a single 100 watt light will draw around 8 amps. and a regular head light will run around 4 or 5 amps. stereos are ridiculous and there are many other toys but like i said it adds up.
I have 4 100 watt aux lights, 2 head lights, cb radio, turn signals, marker lights and other small things my estimated draw if everything was on is about 45 amps, I bought a 55amp alternator kit to run my electrics.

so the answer to your question is you need to see what your total draw is from all your components and get the appropriate power supply. sounds like you might be cutting it close with a generator and a generator doesn't provide anywhere near 30 amps at idle.
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. A generator works great for a basic car, but when you start adding power-hungry options, an alternator is the way to go.

Be forewarned that several things will need to be changed when converting to an alternator. A 1979 engine should already have these things done, but you never know.

1. The alternator takes a different stand than a generator.

2. The size of the belt may change.

3. If you're running a stock 34PICT-3 carb, the accelerator pump might hit the body of the alternator. Later carbs had the linkage reversed to eliminate this issue.

4. Earlier fuel pumps cannot be removed with an alternator in place. The fuel pump was re-designed to work with an alternator. Be sure to match the pushrod to the fuel pump!

5. You will most likely be switching to an alternator with an internal voltage regulator, so your wiring will need to be changed.

I probably missed at least a couple things, so I'll let the others chime in. Is it worth all this effort? I think do. Alternator brushes last way longer than generator brushes, and it's nice to have the extra amps.

Lee
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 79 with a generator???....... Most VW's after 74 had/have alternators... Or at least that is what I was lead to believe....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nastynatesfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I fat fingered the buttons it's a 1970. I read about the swap of an alternator for the generation online. I'm not gonna do a status or anything like that. Just the HIDs. The light bar shouldn't draw much. Id like to put a 1500 lb or so winch under it too but not sure yet.
MV8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, alternator amp ratings are usually peak output, which can damage the alternator if held to that output for too long.

Similarly, a rewind for more output does not aid cooling, so one advertised at a higher rate with the same case, may have a much shorter duty cycle.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71 VW bus has a higher output Generator and Regulator. But Alternator is much better, but you asked for it and look it up, 71 VW Bus with Type 1 engine has like 36amp Gen.

T
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: