Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Judson project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for the maiden voyage today. I removed the engine lid for air filter clearance since I haven't received my air cleaner elbow yet. There is a noticeable power increase and no negative impact on drive-ability. So far I am very pleased with the results of this project. Now on to the air cleaner and engine lid scoop fitment! Dave J
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project is complete! Paint turned out nicely on the scoop and my air filter experiment also works well. Hardest part of the entire project was cutting into the engine lid!! Very happy with the power increase, maintained 60-65 mph going up a local hill that usually knocked it down to 50 or so. Dave J
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. I just added a judson to my 62 turkis beetle. Still waiting on my new rotor from Ricardo. The old rotor is in the judson now and it was taken for a test drive this past weekend. I did the same test you did, comparing a steep hill I always have to shift to third on. It climbed the hill for the time in forth gear. I hope to gain even more with the new rotor.
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rotor was in pretty good condition. I will be curious to hear if you notice a change in noise or performance with the new one. Show us some pictures of your install! Dave J
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: my car with judson Reply with quote

Just posted a picture of the 62 with the Judson added.
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Ghia out yesterday for a club meeting, about 45 miles one way. Car ran great and I never had to down shift for any of the hills that usually required third gear! Even pulled one at the speed limit, more or less. Really noticing more torque coming out of turns and can stay in a higher gear for some of them also. Overall I am giving this project two thumbs up!! Ordered a belt-tensioner from George Folchi, not real happy with the one I came up with. Plans are to take it to a VW show in southern Iowa in two weeks, 400 miles one way. Have been taking care of some little things in preparation for this journey. Dave J
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got the new rotor and vanes back into the Judson. I cranked it up last night and you can hear the difference. No noise at all from the supercharger. I haven't taken it out on the road but the clicking noise from before is gone completely. Expensive parts but very good quality. I'll keep you posted on the performance of the new unit.
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to "hear" about your success!! Still waiting on my new tensioner from George. Put some stock steel wheels back on the Ghia, very happy with the new look.

My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi djGhia. How is the Judson working out for you?

I've got a question. Since you used that Bus style air cleaner extension, did you even need to cut your decklid? It looks like there is plenty of clearance since you used that instead of the Judson filter.

Oh, and did you need to cut a new choke cable route through your shroud or maybe your Ghia doesn't' have a cabled choke? If you did need to modify the shroud, do you have any suggestions for where to make the hole and how to angle the hole so that the choke cable operates freely in its new position to accommodate the Judson housing?

Thanks!

Rob
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very happy with the results of this project. Yes, still had to cut the engine lid for clearance, that carb sits pretty high and the deck lid drops quickly! 40hp engine has an electric choke so no modifications were needed in that area. My next move will be to order a new rotor which should take care of the slight chatter that I am beginning to hear. Probably will wait until this fall for that expenditure! Thanks for your interest and ask any more questions or picture requests that you might have. Dave J
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Judson project Reply with quote

Finally came up with the last piece to the puzzle, much better looking!

Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Judson project Reply with quote

DJ,
I know it’s an old thread but if you are still out there, How did the Judson perform on those longer 100mi + road trips? Can you cruise at a steady 65 with occasional passing speed bursts? Did you have heating issues at the Judson rotor or anywhere else? If so, how or did you solve them? What is your opinion of the Judson on a big bore 40 over time? Any practical advice or observations welcomed. I got a one from George last year and am putting my 40BB together right now.
Also is that a bracket of some kind on the inside of the lid bolted to the scoop? For reinforcement?
Thanks,
R
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Judson project Reply with quote

I was reading you question and thought I would give my two cents worth.
Just got back from a 300-mile round trip using my Judson 40hp and can say that after you spend the time to get the bugs worked out these Judson motors do just fine on the longer highway trips.
Make sure you jet the carb so it's not running lean. Turn up the oiler so you get about 5 or 6 hundred miles to a quart of Marvel oil. I know they said it should get about 1000 miles on a quart, but Marvel oil is cheap insurance. Keep the timing total advance down to about 28-30 degrees and it will be a happy motor.
Don't know about running the Judson on a big bore motor as mine is stock 1200. I also don't run alcohol gas in mine. The alcohol seems to make it run on the warm side.

Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Judson project Reply with quote

Steven
Thank you for your encouraging two cents and the pics. I’m glad to see you didn’t have to move your voltage regulator. What a sweet ‘62!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: