Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold air intake for 412 variant?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Cold air intake for 412 variant? Reply with quote

I've done many searches here, but can't seem to find an answer to my question. My apologies if I am rehashing something that is already answered.

The PO pulled the original carbs or FI off, and installed dual weber 44IDFs. He didn't use the low profile intakes, and instead cut large holes through the engine cover to make clearance for the air cleaners. Obviously the car is noisy, the 44s might be too much carb for the engine, and they don't breathe very well inside the funky tin boxes that he built into the floor to cover the air cleaners.

I plan on getting a pair of low profile intakes, and I've seen someones (sorry for not remembering who) rather trick custom air intakes with K&N filters installed in order to clear the engine cover. I would like to something like that, but one step more. Here in SoCal, I wonder if the car would benefit from even cooler air feeding the carbs. Has anyone experimented with running snorkles to the carbs leading from the outer corners, perhaps with heat shields protecting the air intake from the engine heat, and drawing cool air from closer to the vents?

Also, are the 44s too much? Will I need to rejet them?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the 44's...but if yours is still the original 1.8....I would suspect yes.

As for cold air.....the 412 variant has great source of cold air. You just need to duct to it. The original oval air intake for the fan is chassis ducted to the louvers...and supply's far more air than the fan needs. Just duct to that. That is where the 1.7 with D-jet pulls its air from. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: 44idf on my 74 412 Reply with quote

Has anybody fabricated ducting from the fan area to their webers? Function is my primary concern, but if I cant get the "form"part of the equation, I would rather convert to stock. I should add that the heat exchangers have been removed from my engine, not sure what to do with the muffler tape patched holes in my engine compartment.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut down & weld the tall manifolds into short manifolds to fit everything under the engine lid. They are doing custom fresh air intakes in the Type 3 Forum for dual Weber carburetors. I'd trade the 44's for 40's. No heat exchangers causes your engine to run a little hotter!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Cold air intake for 412 variant? Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Mike, I was thinking that without the heat scavenging. the engine would run hotter. Any work around with this, other than rebuilding the exchangers?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that Mike was pointing to is radiant heat from the heat exchangers being so close to the head. ...many have noted...especially in slow traffic like in town.

So you are running after market type 4 J-tubes....or are you running original heat exchangers with sheet metal stripped off?

In either case if you are going to keep what you have....its less of a big deal in the respect that without the heat exchangers.....a lot of mass from the exhaust near the heads. You should be ring simply making a heat shield to fit between the head and tube section where the heat shield was for low speed traffic. There should otherwise be pretty good airflow around the pipe.

When you have heat exchangers on and you remove the airflow from the cooling manifold.....you definately run hotter head temps at times and can have warpage issues to the manifold pipes. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: