Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another tow'd project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: another tow'd project Reply with quote

i found this thing almost 7 years ago and i am finally getting around to trying to complete it (starting having kids 7 years ago too, so it's been on the back burner a bit). anyways, finally acquired the majority of most of the big items. it is getting an adjustable beam (just finished powder coat today), disk brakes all the way around, dropped spindles, new paint, powder on everything possible, and some fuchs...15x4.5 up front and 17x7s in the rear. powder is high gloss black and debating back in forth between an emerald green with silver metal flake or a brighter green with possibly gold metal flake. Suggestions are always welcome. I'll try to post pics as I progress.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BrianDent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

Very Cool project. Haven't seen a street Tow'd before. Look forward to progress. Good luck.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! What are you using for a frame?

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...'space' frame? Laughing

Did you get the frame with it, or are you looking to build one?

bryan
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortunately, i've got the original frame. also have the original bf meyers id tag. i finished blasting the frame today. gonna try and dry fit everything this weekend and try to see what i can come up with for some clean bumpers. like briandent, i have never really seen a street tow'd and this one was set up with a huge front bumper and engine cage. my only other real concern is with as low as i would like to go with this thing, is building and mounting some sort of skid plate for under the body. with only fiberglass between me and the road, makes me a little nervous (any thoughts)?
Vealmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen stock Tow'd bumpers? Not very beefy. Rear engine cage is not a bad idea, as far as your front bumper? I've seen some nice street Tow'ds and some not so nice street Tow'ds, but then my tastes might not be like yours. I'm building mine for the street, but it's been a slow process. I converted my rear to IRS, pretty easy actually. My Tow'd was never titled or registered for the street, off-road only, so I had to find an IRS based car with a title to get the IRS section from. That's done. I've had a friend build a beefy street trans for me and help me build a nice 2021 engine with dual weber 44s. I had to source a fiberglass nose from Bruce Meyers as my car was an original ABS plastic body and had no nose. Also had to source a fiberglass body as my ABS body was shot! LOL I rented part of a garage and had a really nice place to work on the Tow'd, but lost that, which is a really long story. LOL So now trying to get a shed built to move things into to get back my 1 car garage at my house to have room to work on the Tow'd in. If you have a prebuilt front bumper which fits the car nicely, you may want to rethink using it. A small tap in the front nose and it will destroy your hood. And with onlly 2 points holding the hood on, it could be disasterous. The original Tow'd bumpers were 2 lightweight hoops front and rear, which protected nothing. Remember, the Tow'd was not originally designed to be on the road. Protect your investment and your self.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Tow'd front bumper was larger diameter than a Manx, fairly short, and bent in a fairly tight curve so it was actually fairly tough and definitely stronger than a typical buggy bumper. It was just meant to protect the tip of the hood in the parking lot and look good while doing it. Its totally up to its job

The original Towd rear bumper bolted to welded-on brackets on the rear of the main chassis tube, so it was also stronger than a typical buggy engine cage which is normally small diameter tube hung off the shock mounts and the frame horns and not very sturdy at all. Again, its not impact protection, its just meant to protect against someone or some thing bumping into your engine.

Lots of people who use the Tow'd off road seriously, add additional tubes below the single hoop. They run tubes from the front of the main loop, back to the rear suspension mount, then add braces to triangulate the new tube with the original. Some people add a body skid plate across under the body between the additional tubes. The bracing makes the frame stiffer/stronger. You should definitely think about it. This picture shows a shorter tube, most are straight and attach closer to the torsion tube and go farther forward on the frame.

Disc brakes on the front of a regular buggy will cause the front wheels to lock up and skid uselessly, on a Tow'd even more so. You will absolutely need a proportioning valve.

I see you have a ball joint front end. The Tow'd used the link pin type so the mount for the beam would need to be modified

The stock front suspension will be too stiff(like a rock) so you'll need to remove some leaves. If you have a swingaxle, you'll definitely want adjustable spring plates in back to set the camber easier. I'd go with IRS, the longer torsion bars are actually more flexible and might give a softer ride. Try to use OEM rubber suspension bushings, not hard polyurethane.

I see you have a dog house shroud. You'll need to trial assemble the whole thing with the engine to make sure you have clearance between it and the body. If its too close you can lengthen the rear shock mount tabs which will rotate the engine farther down and away from the body.

Have you checked whether your state(Arkansas?) requires fenders over the wheels? Those would be some big fenders to cover those Fuchs.

I wouldn't paint or powder coat anything until you know you're done fabricating. You still have a lot of work. The paint is always last.
BCG Industries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the BCG industries project towd. I used the "stock" beam with all the leaves and it is a fine ride not like a rock at all. I would consider adding some wheel base because it is a tiny car. I wish I would have added more than 6" I added 3 to the front and 3 to the rear. See my build in theis section if you have not already. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have along the way also gladly. Another thing to consider is using the long skinny torsion bar it makes the ride awesome and I did use poly bushings too. I used fox 12" stroke shocks and with the preload It is caddy like ride and on road I can go over speed bumps at 40+ and the car stays still and the suspension works. Hope this helps. Looks like you have a great start they are neat cars. Good luck and have fun. The kids will love it too they fit in them lol.
Darrin
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCG Industries wrote:
I used the "stock" beam with all the leaves and it is a fine ride not like a rock at all.

The Towd weighs 600 to 700#s less than a VW. Here are some of the dozens of threads where people have come on here and said "My front suspension rides too hard, how do I soften it?". Anyway its something you can make up your own mind about after its got a few miles on it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359131

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464637

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385593

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348182

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127183
BCG Industries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come take a ride in it I guess.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Anyway its something you can make up your own mind about after its got a few miles on it.

When I wrote, "you", it was intended for spetey325. I meant he can make up his mind about his front end when he has a few miles on it
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally getting back around to working on this thing….maybe this summer i'll finish!

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you got back to working on it! Looks like it could be one heck of a build!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be sweet!! Good thing you got back on it. I thought you may have sold it.

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little more progress!
HPjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

any updates?
68 Rat Rod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

... last Samba visit was August 24, 2015.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45172

bnc
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

Hoping to finally finish this thing. I've been dragging her around for 11 years. Finished paint today and time to start putting her back together.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

Nice to see it moving forward! Welcome back!

bnc
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: another tow'd project Reply with quote

Love the color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: