Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips for upholstering rear bench back?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubarsky91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Tips for upholstering rear bench back? Reply with quote

I bought a TMI vinyl upholstery kit and a foam kit from jbugs for my '71 square. I was able to upholster everything pretty easily except the top part of the rear bench. Tried stretching and it just seems like its not even close the same sort of fit as the other seats. Any tips? Perhaps it is easier to start from one side than the other?

Thank you!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i install upholstery, I use a heat gun to warm the fabric so it stretches really nice lots of folks use a hair drier for the same effect. You can also lay them out in the sun for an hour or pop them in a clothes drier on med heat for a few minutes.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for upholstering rear bench back? Reply with quote

clubarsky91 wrote:
I bought a TMI vinyl upholstery kit and a foam kit from jbugs for my '71 square. I was able to upholster everything pretty easily except the top part of the rear bench. Tried stretching and it just seems like its not even close the same sort of fit as the other seats. Any tips? Perhaps it is easier to start from one side than the other?

Thank you!

The rear seat back is the hardest part by far- I have only done Notchback ones and I am not sure if the square is the same. I hope you still have the little triangle barbs on the frame as these are vital.
I start on the lower part and finish on the top and work the plastic support piece in the Chanel using heat. (sorry if the squareback seat is different and this is useless info) - use a heat gun or other techniques to soften it up like Nate M. suggested. The arm rest is what gets me both times I have done it.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the rear back. Thought I was going to have a heart attack wrestling to get it on. Warming it up is a necessity. I ended up having my wife help me. I compressed the springs while she got the fabric on the hooks and bent them down. Get a helper if you can!!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch the u tube videos and put a plastic trash bag over the padding so the outer material slides on easily .
read this thread ;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619308&highlight=recovering+seat

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
clubarsky91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the tips. Squareback project put on hold while I get my regular truck (2002 Pathfinder) back up and running. Was working on the square yesterday and when I went to leave the pathfinder was totally dead. Hope it was just the battery, as I couldn't even get it going with a jump.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for upholstering rear bench back? Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
clubarsky91 wrote:

Thank you!

The rear seat back is the hardest part by far- I have only done Notchback ones and I am not sure if the square is the same. I hope you still have the little triangle barbs on the frame as these are vital.
I start on the lower part and finish on the top and work the plastic support piece in the Chanel using heat. (sorry if the squareback seat is different and this is useless info) - use a heat gun or other techniques to soften it up like Nate M. suggested. The arm rest is what gets me both times I have done it.

Yeah, all 3 of the rear seat backs (2 Notch and 1 Fastback) I've done have been a royal PIA. The plastic strip TMI uses isn't really wide enough to get a good attachment to the seat back. The OE VW piece might have been thick cardboard, but it was wider.

I'd do like Nate suggested and warm it up. Start from the top, and work your way down. You might want to use gloves (on 1 hand) and work on a solid flat surface, so you can compress the springs in the seat. Then it's just a matter of bending the tabs over to lock the cover in place.
If you take the cover off, pay attention to how it comes off, as that'll help you on assembly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
clubarsky91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for upholstering rear bench back? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EasternNotch wrote:
clubarsky91 wrote:

Thank you!

Yeah, all 3 of the rear seat backs (2 Notch and 1 Fastback) I've done have been a royal PIA. The plastic strip TMI uses isn't really wide enough to get a good attachment to the seat back. The OE VW piece might have been thick cardboard, but it was wider.

I'd do like Nate suggested and warm it up. Start from the top, and work your way down. You might want to use gloves (on 1 hand) and work on a solid flat surface, so you can compress the springs in the seat. Then it's just a matter of bending the tabs over to lock the cover in place.
If you take the cover off, pay attention to how it comes off, as that'll help you on assembly.

I ended up putting the top portion on first and stretched it as much as I could. Left it out in the sun for a few hours and the rest stretched over pretty easily! Thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: