Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floorboard thickness
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redemr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Floorboard thickness Reply with quote

Hey Guys I'm building a thing I only have a body. I'm gonna weld a floor board to it obviously. So my question here is what thickness should the metal be for my floorboard
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a metal fabricator here just weekend warrior

several factors to consider. not sure how much help but at least sharing things to consider

are you using original Thing spine/tunnel core? you mentioned having body only. I was not clear on that. the tunnel provides basic strength. are you using flat stock for pans? or will it have various beads rolled into it? The beads create strength in typical flat 18-20 sheetmetal.

the stock pans are somewhat flimsy when the body is not attached. strength comes when the body is attached. so you do not have to over kill with metal thickness. folks start thinking they need 1/8" - 1/4". no way needed if formed/bead rolled into flat stock.

i believe the body metal is like a 19gauge if recall. I know it is not common for what we get off the shelf. pan is not much more than that.

I am sure someone has the exact and can share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: