Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor Cam Lobes. Number 3 Slightly retarded. True?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teafortwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Distributor Cam Lobes. Number 3 Slightly retarded. True? Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading that number 3 cylinder distributor cam was slightly retarded. That is to say not exactly at 90 degrees between the other lobes? I think the idea was to slightly retard the firing of number 3 cylinder so that it might run cooler to protect the number 3 exhaust valves and prevent valve stem failure.
I question this as I think it desirable that the output of each cylinder be equal and balanced.

So is it myth, fact or fiction, or the ramblings of an older man?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true- pre dog house oil cooler.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true on some distributors. I do not know which, but I would wager than it would be any distributor from the vacuum only era (205M/T) and those prior. I'll check my 205Ts this week...

I have seen aftermarket 009s with it, and without it. I have also seen aftermarket 009s with all four cylinders being off a few degrees from each other. Mallory distributors have the most consistent timing between cylinders, though mine wore out quicker than I would have liked.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following Bosch distributors do have a retarded no. 3 lobe:

113 905 205 K

13 905 205

113 905 205 M

113 905 205 T

and there were a few others- oddballs. Type III's I have not tested but theory would say no on the retarded no. 3 since the cooler was not in the way of air flow.

for the reasons stated above. I would call the adaptation miniscule in reality.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: