Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with bench testing late BN2 eberspacher heater
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Help with bench testing late BN2 eberspacher heater Reply with quote

Trying to install a BN2 late model gas heater in my 74 super and want to bench test it. Can anyone help with the wiring for the set up on the bench. I have the heater and metering pump mounted on a work bench and the matching electrical plug for the electrics taken from a parts car. The heater is complete and looks to be in good order. I am picking up that the large red wire is the hot and the large brown wire is the ground going into the plug. Also have taken a rocker switch from another parts car but has four wires coming off that which I am not sure their destination. I also have to feed wires to a switch and to the pump. Can anyone help with wiring these other components so I can try to start the heater on the bench. I had it installed in the car but it wouldn’t light. After a number of attempts and research I thought it best to take it out and fool with it on the bench.
Any help would be appreciated Question
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring for a B2, it may be similar
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/eberspacher_b2_8623_6/14.jpg

or

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/bn2.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493615&highlight=bn2+eberspacher
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
gbdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Got it going on the bench similar to Dave Hords setup. Ran great and the pump continued to pump so everything seemed to work fine. Ran it for 20 minutes. Wouldn't start on its own until I jumped a wire directly from the battery to the glow plugs then it started up right away. Measured the voltage at the relay and it was 9 volts and at the glow plug it had dropped to 6. Not sure why it dropped so much but obviously not enough power to heat the glow plug enough to start the furnace ( I am assuming). Now I have it in the car and it will still will not start. going to get back at it tomorrow and see if I can jump it from the battery and see if it will ignite. Lots of fun and I am not giving up on this [

Any ideas why that glow plug won't ingnite the fuel until I jump it:

-12 volts at the red wire going into the plug and trough it
-9 at the relay heavy yellow wire
-6 volts at glow plug heavy yellow wire
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glow plug should have 4.5 volts, not 12 or 6 or 9. Higher voltage will burn it out, it can take those high voltages only for short periods before the plug is destroyed. You might have fried your plug Sad ?

The BN2 requires full electrical power, it won't start (ignite) on a poor battery. When I bench test it, I use power from the vehicle with the engine running.

Also, be sure to connect all hoses (inlet, exhaust, etc.) when you bench test. It's quite a delicate piece of engineering art and needs the right resistance in air flows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Boble on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in college, my friend had one of these heaters in his bug. The instructions said that the vehicle had to be running, preferably at high idle before attempting to start the heater. Then you could back off on the throttle after the heater was running.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the BN2 wiring diagram:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
Back in college, my friend had one of these heaters in his bug. The instructions said that the vehicle had to be running, preferably at high idle before attempting to start the heater. Then you could back off on the throttle after the heater was running.

Right. Quite a downer, actually. It would be nice to have it warm up the car before you drive. Anyways, the BN2 kicks 2 kilowatts of hot air, so it doesn't take long before the car is turned into a sauna. I use it on cold days only for a couple of minutes.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Stewart Warner South Wind gas heater in my bug. It pumps out the heat. I usually have to turn it off before too long. Even when it is 30 below.
gbdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help. So here is the latest. The heater started twice on its own in the car with the car reving at fast idle or above. Very happy and the heater blew great. Again if I just touch the glow plug for a second once it is trying to start it fires up right away. Has anyone increased the guage of wire going to the heater and did that make a difference. Also was thinking of connecting a direct wire to the glow plug from the battery of hot terminal and running it through a horn button to give it a shot when wanting to start it. Question Question Any ideas for increasing the amperage so it will start up every time Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: