Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Brake Drum on Late Chassis
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Early Brake Drum on Late Chassis Reply with quote

I'm trying to mate a '66/67 rear drum onto my '70 chassis. I bought brand new drums (they have the correct appearance I'm looking for) & the spacer needed to go under the nut. I've also removed .180 thou from the front edge of the brake shoes. I was also going to remove about an 1/8" from the inside corner of the brake drum to ensure no interference between the shoe & the drum. However, the drum is extremely hard in the corner area & my regular tool steel cutters (in the lathe) won't touch it. I don't have any carbide cutters long enough to reach into the corner of the drum. The drum must be selectively annealed, as a file will easily nick the outer edge where the shoes run.

Has anyone else had any experience in cutting the inside face of the brake drums?
thanks,
Mike S
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought installing earlier style rear drum brakes on later rear axles only required:
    install early brake shoes
    install early drum
    install spacer between drum and axle nut (to allow for longer splined length of later axles)

Why are you trying to use later style brake shoes? Wouldn't using the brake shoes that match the drum avoid the need to mod the drum? You will loose braking surface, but that is the cost of this mod.

If you wanted to keep the wide-5 pattern and the wider brake shoes, look at the early 70's Thing. These Type1s basically came with later style brake shoes but kept the wide-5 lug pattern.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed a couple of parts.

install early backing plates
install early wheel cylinders
jsnwelch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to swap over to the wide-5 bolt pattern or something? If so I thought you could just use Thing rear drums for that?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the easiest way. The drums tend to be a bit expensive and they will widen the rear track a little. I think there also some aftermarket drums to do the conversion that don't increase the track width.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnwelch wrote:
Are you trying to swap over to the wide-5 bolt pattern or something? If so I thought you could just use Thing rear drums for that?

This is what I did. Used Thing drums in the rear and 66-67 bug drums in the front. Bolt right on, no muss, no fuss.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: