Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 engine removal mod
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gacnurse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: 72 engine removal mod Reply with quote

Is there a structural reason why i cannot remove the rear piece, like on splits, to remove my engine? It would be so much easier eh?
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting in a removable valance has been done many times on late bays

I'm guessing it was made non-removable along with all the other safety upgrades around the same time so I would say yes to the structural question.

Personally I don't find it very difficult removing an engine from a late bay with ramps and a trolley jack so have never felt the need.

If I was removing the engine every month then maybe I would consider.....
No I wouldn't, I would start sleeping in a Citroen H van or something
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a reason VW engineers designed it that way. Earlier engines had less power and the older sytem was strong enough for 1600 cc of raw power. However, the 1700 and planned size increases needed the rear chassis and valence to be stronger so they tied it all together with welds instead of bolts. Notice the larger rear engine mount and the overhead tranny mounts are a lot beefier, more tied into the unibody than the forks were. Also, removing the engine and tranny together are pretty easy, easier than seperating them to just drop the engine.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the engine and transaxle as a single unit. Takes less time anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the reinstalling the two bellhousing support bolts takes about 15 minutes total, outside of removing the coil, oil filler pipe, and left rear tin this is all the special stuff that has to be removed to drop the engine over what you plan. How long would it take to remove the rear valence?
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 72 engine removal mod Reply with quote

gacnurse wrote:
Is there a structural reason why i cannot remove the rear piece, like on splits, to remove my engine? It would be so much easier eh?

Not that I can find. The rear member is a box beam but it's sill just sheet metal. I put mine back with heavy steel plates (on the outside) and Cool 1/4 in bolts. Doing a weldment would have been nice. You lose rear impact strength but I figure whatever gets through a heavy steel bumper is trashing the back of the bus if there is a solid beam there or not

It's cheaper to for VW to make that rear piece solid than removable. Less parts and assembly. I think this was their major impetus. I suspect they also figured the pancake engine would just drop down and slide under it, unlike an uopright engine. This was not to be the case, especially an engine with tall carbs and manifolds.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 engine removal mod Reply with quote

My firs thought is, "how often do you have to pull your engine that this is a problem?" Laughing

PITApan wrote:
I suspect they also figured the pancake engine would just drop down and slide under it, unlike an uopright engine. This was not to be the case, especially an engine with tall carbs and manifolds.

I don't see a problem with the carbs and manifolds here, unless you mean some aftermarket doodads with a 40 in their name and a big honking' air filter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd be able to get that out no problem with my old school (low profile) floor jack. The new jacks that most places sell these days would probably get the thing hung up on the air injection pump.

I especially don't see any problems here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: