Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

500-15 (5.0x15) for fronts?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey Anchors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: 500-15 (5.0x15) for fronts? Reply with quote

So I've been looking for bias ply for a future '59-'60 Bug I plan on buying in 6 months or so. I like the raked look (will be using drop spindles up front and the rear will be one notch lower) and found 500-15 and 640-15 sizes from BF Goodrich.

Will 500-15's fit on the stock wheels? I'm pretty sure that 640-15's will fit on the rear with out much problem.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um just askin'....
Why are you set on bias ply ???? Anxious

Wide white wall???

Much better tires are available than those old dinosaurs.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey Anchors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'll be going with wide white walls. I like bias ply on slow back roads. This bug will be running a 36hp so I won't be exactly racing around at any great speeds.
Joey Anchors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the overall diameter of the 500-15 is 24.38" and 26.88" for the 640-15
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should fit, the smaller one better than the larger one.

Now, 26.9" diameter tires on the back won't do your 36HP engine any favors... it will make your effective final drive ratio "taller" and taller is not good for a small engine like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey Anchors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
They should fit, the smaller one better than the larger one.

Now, 26.9" diameter tires on the back won't do your 36HP engine any favors... it will make your effective final drive ratio "taller" and taller is not good for a small engine like that.

I can go with a 600-15 for the rear which is closer to the OE size (600-15 = 26" diameter and 560-15 = 25.78")

If I got my sizing correct the 500-15 is close to a 145R15 and 640-15 close to 195/75R15.
rustINpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 500-15 (5.0x15) for fronts? Reply with quote

Joey Anchors wrote:
So I've been looking for bias ply for a future '59-'60 Bug I plan on buying in 6 months or so. I like the raked look (will be using drop spindles up front and the rear will be one notch lower) and found 500-15 and 640-15 sizes from BF Goodrich.

Will 500-15's fit on the stock wheels? I'm pretty sure that 640-15's will fit on the rear with out much problem.

I have that exact tire combo on my 66. The fronts are 500-15 BFG Silvertowns and the rears are the 640-15 version. The front wheels are 4.5 inches wide and the rears are 5.5 inches wide, both are aftermarket stock chrome. I have a 4 inch narrowed beam and dropped spindles. Out back I have it just a little lower than stock.
They are fine for around town, but it can be a wild ride on the freeway. The bias plys seem to track in the grooved concrete. Two hands on the wheel are required.
Also,
I installed the narrowed beam last. I just had dropped spindles and adjusters at first and the tires rubbed.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500-15 are the only front tires we use (on VW's) , and anywhere from 560-15's to 670-15's for most rear requirements. Like Volkswagnut says, they are not a performance tire at all. They slide in the rain on smooth asphalt. They develop flat spots overnight parked in the driveway making early morning rides pretty bumpy. They cost out the ass. Hard to get truly balanced. Tubes may be required on some wheels. But they look great on stock steel wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rustINpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500-15 fronts, 640-15 rear
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: