Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer compatibility
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Speedometer compatibility Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what speedometers are an exact match for the Thing speedometer or is it Thing specific? My odometer doesn't work. Thank you!
bravo122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer compatibility Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
Can someone tell me what speedometers are an exact match for the Thing speedometer or is it Thing specific? My odometer doesn't work. Thank you!

i am using a bug speedo in mine
just look for the one which has a fuel gauge in it
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 and later 100 MPH. Then check to see what lights are there, such as ATF rear window light. Best is to have your old one rebuilt. It's the little plastic gear that cracks. Repairing yours also keeps the mileage original or close as it's not working now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks-I guess I can buy another one and pull out the odometer gear. I thought I read another person's post about how the odometer gears are not readily available by themselves.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
Ok thanks-I guess I can buy another one and pull out the odometer gear. I thought I read another person's post about how the odometer gears are not readily available by themselves.
You can just take it apart and a little super glue on the gear and you are back in business
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
THINGONER wrote:
You can just take it apart and a little super glue on the gear and you are back in business

That sounds like what mine needs also, But I can't get the speedo unit out of that tight little panel it hits the steering column before I can get enough room to get my fat hands in there to undo things even with the other panel next to it open Confused
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the 2 bolts that hold the column in, 13mm wrench and the column will drop down enough to get the center section out.
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Take out the 2 bolts that hold the column in, 13mm wrench and the column will drop down enough to get the center section out.

Oh, Thanks.
That makes it sound to easy. I guess that I was afraid that moving the Steering Column would Open a whole new Can of Worms. I will get right on that because it only quit working about a week ago. With the new engine in it I really want to be able to see the mileage. Smile
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My speedometer needle was bouncing around before it quit on me. Would that be a symptom of a cracked gear as well?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small gear is odometer only. Bouncing, cable?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: