Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Concept
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Kubel Concept Reply with quote

Saw this on one of the Facebook pages for 181. Not sure if it's been posted before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No where near enough fender to wheel clearance. Heck, might even get a rub on a speed bump.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I wonder if it has an air suspension system, too.

Given VW's penchant for distancing itself from WWII, I'm surprised even their prototype has Kubelwagen on the back.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing someone Other than VW put that together...

No too impressed on that view... Will have to see a few more angles.... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears it came from a Russian car design forum and apparently part of a contest more images can be found http://www.cardesign.ru/contests/65/568/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ron's better
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
So do I.

Ron, did you make the hood with place to store the spare?
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a convertible. What were they thinking calling it a Kubelwagen?

I like Ron's a whole lot more, as well.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did make the hood. Took a stock hood and inserted a spare tire area from a Dodge Omni 20 years ago.
ppfabregat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: russian design Reply with quote

an interesting design exercise, made for a russian contest a few years back:

http://www.cardesign.ru/contests/65/568/

there's a lot of lacks in the design, but it's a nice work and i know more than one who will be willing to build it, at leas as a scale model, me included.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
So do I.

I see that you also reverse the direction of the front doors, to make them like the original.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to my pictures you will see most every thing on that car has been modified.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
If you go to my pictures you will see most every thing on that car has been modified.

As I build this car, I intend to add a number of mods to it. But the requirement is that every mod can be removed so that if the next owner decides to make the car a stock vehicle, he or she can do this.

Then I'll buy a second Thing ( I have found it already!) and mod that one for me.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:
Not even a convertible. What were they thinking calling it a Kubelwagen?

My thoughts looking at it was the black part came off thereby making it a convertible.

After now seeing the pics from the Russian site (couldn't see at work), I wonder about the headlights (assuming the front lights are more running/fog lights).

I guess I'm in the minority, but if the top pops off and there is some offroad ability however minor, I like it a lot.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: It's nice, but call it something else. Reply with quote

For me one of the best qualities of the Thing is how open it is. It even feels open with the top up. So where that concept car is concerned, I'd prefer a lower belt line - that is, shorter door and taller glass.

It's interesting that the corrugations in the doors of the concept are indentations rather than protrusions. The corrugations in the Thing's sheet metal are there to stiffen what would otherwise be flat steel. The doors on the concept aren't flat. They have a slight crown. That would make the corrugations more of an homage. Like a fake hood scoop. I find that mildly annoying on a car whose heritage is pure utilitarianism.

The pillar mounted side view mirror lends itself to removable doors, but the square shape of the doors at the bottom does not. Nor does the glass, if it retracts into the doors.

I also feel that the angular wheel openings on the Thing are rather iconic, and would like to have seen that carried over to the concept.

Finally, if it is to be badged as a "Kubelwagen" the u should be proudly topped with an umlaut.

All my humble opinion of course.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: It's nice, but call it something else. Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
For me one of the best qualities of the Thing is how open it is. It even feels open with the top up. So where that concept car is concerned, I'd prefer a lower belt line - that is, shorter door and taller glass.

It's interesting that the corrugations in the doors of the concept are indentations rather than protrusions. The corrugations in the Thing's sheet metal are there to stiffen what would otherwise be flat steel. The doors on the concept aren't flat. They have a slight crown. That would make the corrugations more of an homage. Like a fake hood scoop. I find that mildly annoying on a car whose heritage is pure utilitarianism.

The pillar mounted side view mirror lends itself to removable doors, but the square shape of the doors at the bottom does not. Nor does the glass, if it retracts into the doors.

I also feel that the angular wheel openings on the Thing are rather iconic, and would like to have seen that carried over to the concept.

Finally, if it is to be badged as a "Kubelwagen" the u should be proudly topped with an umlaut. All my humble opinion of course.

Definitely agree on the angular wheel openings and the umlaut. I'd go further and make the hard roof detachable like a Mercedes 107 roadster series or the 181 itself.

Definitely needs taller windows. Lose the tinting, also.

Or make them like glasses that tint as the light gets brighter! That would be useful and different!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: