Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus Axles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Mr. Campingbox,
We're leaning toward just pulling the trigger on these. But, damn, it's gonna hurt.

It's time we do something, we're due for another visit up north! Very Happy
thericklang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1k an axle sounds steep but tooling can costs alot these day. If they are using a proper spline roller which are special machines I can start to see the costs adding up for a 1 time customer job. Although im surprised that the company making the HD racing bug axles cant make a bus axle. Maybe get a HD bug axle with no spline ends and get a machine shop to spline the end to the rgb gear? A lack of good axles will be a problem in the coming years for the bus community...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a bus RGB axle here to compare to a beetle axle. In my mind I can see that it would be possible to machine a bug axle to work, but in reality I may be just dreaming. It's been awhile since I held those parts in my hands.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a Beetle spline the same size as an upper RGB gear spline? I guess they are.

Photos by Black58EuroBug and Crashbox.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They both have 12 splines.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Is a Beetle spline the same size as an upper RGB gear spline? I guess they are.

Yes. The beetle axles are longer though. I also think there are 3 different lengths of beetle axles, maybe one of them is close enough to where it can be easily modified to fit in a bus.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the inner spline line is the same as bus the different lengths shouldn't matter as long as the total contact spline is the same after machining. I bet they have a high Brinell hardness that might be tough to cut. Other than that it looks easy.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Which begs the question:
Why not have Bus Axle Spade Ends ground down, re-heat treated and matched with the appropriate oversized fulcrum plates. Would that not be the most economical solution?

Sounds to me that the more modification to the bus the more expectation for damage to individual components; and when those components are not being reproduced/remanufactured, it serves only the bank to apply unnecessary technology to the application at hand: Long distance travel with minimal tolerance for breakage.

If one were to gauge the distances stock buses have traveled in their respective lifetimes, I would bet that many hard miles were achieved under stock transaxle setups.

That said, If one has money to test 'what else can be done', go for it. I always like to find out what are tangible improvements to these vehicles.

Just a thought.

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klcarrie wrote:
Why not have Bus Axle Spade Ends ground down, re-heat treated and matched with the appropriate oversized fulcrum plates. Would that not be the most economical solution?

I think Jeremy feels the stock bus axles are not strong enough for his application. Not sure if it's because of a big motor, beefed up trans, or just beating on them in an off road environment, or maybe all of the above.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
klcarrie wrote:

I think Jeremy feels the stock bus axles are not strong enough for his application. Not sure if it's because of a big motor, beefed up trans, or just beating on them in an off road environment, or maybe all of the above.

I've driven my bus to some pretty extreme places. I've broken 3 trans cases, and 3 axles, and blown out several diffs, spider gears, etc., etc. over the years. And I've broken countless mounts, and nosecones. I fixed the case problem with, first gussets, and now the Rhino case. I fixed the side gear problem with race-prepped ones. I'm running a mid mount, to back up the nose cone and rubber mounts.

So, I'm just chasing down the weakest components, which is now the axle itself.

Where I go, breaking is incredibly inconvenient. Arctic Circle, Mexico, Central America, back roads of pretty much every state in the US.

I think that I've made a decision on what I'm going to do. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the input, friends.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was digging through the crates today, looking for some stuff that I know is there but can't find, anyway I took the opportunity to photo and mic an early type 1 short axle next to a type 2 swing axle.

Here's what I found measuring them. The outer diameter of the splined section on each is 30mm. On the type 2 there is a 2mm shoulder at the end of the spline, that bottoms the axle in the gear and sets the proper location of the axle spade within the side gear. On this stock type 1 axle, the section behind the collar, where that new shoulder would have to be, is only 30.5-31mm. So, there is enough material to shorten a type 1 axle, and cut the splines back, but you would need to press on a sleeve to give you the shoulder. Clear as mud right?

While thinking about it some more, it dawned on me that the HD chromoly axles in my beetle are much thicker than stock. I bet you'd be safe to get some of the $200 axles from car craft, and send them to be cut to type 2 specs. It's got to be cheaper than new axles from scratch.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ That photo answers a ton of questions. Thanks for posting it up.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
As long as the inner (bug) spline line is the same as bus...

It's clearly not so, in my opinion, cutting the splines is too much.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that info on axle stats! Very helpful.
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Question? think its related Reply with quote

My 67 bus after driving for a few blocks or more would start this clunking sound like the reduction gears were trying to climb on top of each other as I felt the oil got thinner perhaps. After reading this thread I wonder if its the axle, does this ring a bell with anyone. I havent removed the reduction cover but did buy a junk yard tranny that came out of a bus that had the trans rebuilt a few months before the wreck.
...If it is the reduction gears I wonder if there being made or just used ones for now? After switching the trans would like to rebuild the old one.
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine would make a poping/clunk sound taking off in 1st gear.wasted the fulcrum plates and had hairline crack in the side gear as well.
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sounded something like that, [So might not be the reduction gears on mine, I hope.]
...If spline end is good can't that damaged flat area in pic above be welded and ground or machined to specs? What are the fulcrum plates, the part inside the trans that go on either side of the smashed end of axle, sorry for not knowing the parts names...

64ragtop, being a machinist you should be able to fix most everything:)
...Could be a dumb question but...Might you know if theres a way to tell if the fulcrum end of the axle is damaged without removing or disassembling as i'm not ready to pull the motor and transaxle. Thinking if i knew a axle was damaged I could look for one ahead of time? maybe indications like moving axle to feel play with reduction gear cover off or would this not be telling?
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle

Last edited by g3bill on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity I was discussing this with a machinist buddy last night. For him to take a pair of axles, cut them to bus length, and machine the correct splines would not be difficult. I sounds like most of the job is setting it up, as the axle needs to be mounted in an indexing head, with the correct plate, so that the # of splines are correctly spaced. Then matching the cutter to the spline width, and machining the splines with a mill. A lot of setup, but a relatively straightforward process. Or you could call Moser or Currie, both respline lots of domestic axles. As long as they can still cut, and not roll the splines, it should be no big deal.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRS?
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
IRS?

Thought about that. They can be built bombproof, but...

Here's what we decided:

Since our friend who owns the Drag Bus runs stock, polished, cryo-treated axles, and he holds several records, does incredible burnouts, and fat wheelies off the line, we're going to go with that for now. We are having VERY NICE set of axles polished and cryo-treated along with the stubs, and RGB gears. We're going to try and go with "race prepped" side gears, etc. We've decided to ditch the Quaiffe LSD, and are going back to a slightly modified superdiff; like the one that we've had in continuous service since 1991(no need for the oiling lecture, boys and girls:).

Apparently when the axle broke, it galled a part of the diff, we can't have that, so we opted to ditch it if it's going to be so fragile. The replacement parts were going to be over $600!! We ran our old superdiff in 3 different buses, for over 400,000 miles. Tried and true!

Dragbus:

Link

Link

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: