Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me judge this baja! :)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herc, how does it feel to be the man with all the answers? That I would pay $5K for... maybe
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, things seem all out of wack with bugs these days. Some people want big dough for a beat motor and trans thats drivin a dumpster fire down the road. Others, if you dig deep enough, just dont want em and they practically give em away.
A project car is one thing but you dont want to weld to something like this. And dammit, dont let me hear someone say that beam looks good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Just for reference, that first one actually impresses me in the respect that it appears VERY solid. Intact. Despite being a bit dreary looking, it is dry and not rusted. It would be a great purchase for the $2-3K ball park. And even though a swingaxle would work perfectly fine for a DD baja that doesn't see a lot of heavy abuse, you said you want something you can 'work on' and I see you wishing it was an IRS sooner or later. For that price I would hope that SA has been beefed up. Engine looks new which might be affecting the price.

So please let me clarify this. The green one for 5200, you'd say it's a good buy for 2-3k? And. ..what about a swing axle? The one I took pictures of, the white one, is that what you're talking about?

I honestly thought the white one WAS IRS lol. Please forgive me but for some reason I'm having trouble reading the flow of your statements.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERC wrote:
hate em. way too much money.

Shit, for 5k you could probably snag this oval and fully cage it and rape it. that would be badass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1762274

I loved it. But I'm in Florida.. Which means 1k+ just to ship, or days of travel and gas to get it here. I'm just SOL on trying to find one in my area. Northern florida doesn't see many baja for some reason
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERC wrote:
hate em. way too much money.

Shit, for 5k you could probably snag this oval and fully cage it and rape it. that would be badass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1762274

I loved it. But I'm in Florida.. Which means 1k+ just to ship, or days of travel and gas to get it here. I'm just SOL on trying to find one in my area. Northern florida doesn't see many baja for some reason
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote:
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Just for reference, that first one actually impresses me in the respect that it appears VERY solid. Intact. Despite being a bit dreary looking, it is dry and not rusted. It would be a great purchase for the $2-3K ball park. And even though a swingaxle would work perfectly fine for a DD baja that doesn't see a lot of heavy abuse, you said you want something you can 'work on' and I see you wishing it was an IRS sooner or later. For that price I would hope that SA has been beefed up. Engine looks new which might be affecting the price.

So please let me clarify this. The green one for 5200, you'd say it's a good buy for 2-3k? And. ..what about a swing axle? The one I took pictures of, the white one, is that what you're talking about?

I honestly thought the white one WAS IRS lol. Please forgive me but for some reason I'm having trouble reading the flow of your statements.

this one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1329286.jpg

Not to make it sound like that car looked fantastic or anything, you just get accustomed to looking at bugs and spotting pros and cons. That car looks very uncut. Even though it appears to have a body lift, the panels all seem straight and coated with something. If you took a look at the inside of my baja it looks like swiss cheese compared to that car. I got holes drilled through everything! My baja has been 'baja'ed' for a long time I'm guessing and not everyone has their scruples. So I can appreciate something that won't need a lot of tin work like mine will someday when I get around to a body off restoration job. But I'm just evaluating the condition of the pan and body from a couples pictures. I'm sure in person more things would stick out to me. Every seal, bushing, wheel bearing and joint could be worn all to hell like my Mary was when I bought her. That all adds up, but in my eyes it's stuff I would gone through and replaced anyway.
I just don't think you can be picky enough if you want to get your money's worth. There inevitably ends up being a few surprises you didn't bank on after buying a new toy.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the flat green car was IRS. But I wasn't talking about that one.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not the first person I've seen here from Florida that expressed frustration on finding a VW. I don't think there is a big following there and it prolly doesn't help that there's only one side of the state from which cars can enter and exit the state. You just may have to travel north. The good thing is there are tons of them up there, you just gotta do a better job of learning what to look for and vetting these people with questions before going to look so you're not wasting time. The unfortunate part is the best way to learn to look at a bunch. I felt I had the same problem up here in Michigan when I bought my first. I didn't know anyone and I though they were very rare. Little did I know they were all around me I just wasn't looking in the right places. I ended up buying a basket case for $800 that I never drove down the road.( OrangeCrush )
I'm betting there is a VW community(nuts) in your area. Even if it's just a couple die hard dudes collecting parts. Maybe spend some time searching for the VW people before worrying about finding the VW car. I garantee they are nice peeps too!
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearls of wisdom bro.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

this one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1329286.jpg

Not to make it sound like that car looked fantastic or anything, you just get accustomed to looking at bugs and spotting pros and cons. That car looks very uncut. Even though it appears to have a body lift, the panels all seem straight and coated with something. If you took a look at the inside of my baja it looks like swiss cheese compared to that car. I got holes drilled through everything! My baja has been 'baja'ed' for a long time I'm guessing and not everyone has their scruples. So I can appreciate something that won't need a lot of tin work like mine will someday when I get around to a body off restoration job. But I'm just evaluating the condition of the pan and body from a couples pictures. I'm sure in person more things would stick out to me. Every seal, bushing, wheel bearing and joint could be worn all to hell like my Mary was when I bought her. That all adds up, but in my eyes it's stuff I would gone through and replaced anyway.
I just don't think you can be picky enough if you want to get your money's worth. There inevitably ends up being a few surprises you didn't bank on after buying a new toy.

Funny you should say that. The pans were replaced with a sheet metal, I would not say they are very thick. There are also drill holes throughout the pan and even an odd screw or three, but I couldnt get a firm angle on them.

So about that rear suspension, I'm presuming what I was looking at was the swing arm you previously stated? or was that the front of it?

Also I found a few places that service and restore old vw here in Florida, apparently there are three places here in the city with one of them held by a guy who's been working vws for 40 or so years. I'm headed his way tomorrow when I'm off duty from the ship.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about that rear suspension, I'm presuming what I was looking at was the swing arm you previously stated? or was that the front of it?

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly. Sorry, but there's a ton of hyperlinks in the posts all of a sudden which is kinda bewildering. I don't know if I got hack or the Samba but it's weird.

Anyway, if this is what you're talking about:

that is very clearly a swingaxle boot and axle tube. Excuse me if I come off snarky but I'm just assuming you're just now becoming familiar with this stuff. We've all been there.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I found a few places that service and restore old vw here in Florida, apparently there are three places here in the city with one of them held by a guy who's been working vws for 40 or so years. I'm headed his way tomorrow when I'm off duty from the ship.

there you go, I got confidence you're gonna find your car now!
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly. Sorry, but there's a ton of hyperlinks in the posts all of a sudden which is kinda bewildering. I don't know if I got hack or the Samba but it's weird.

Anyway, if this is what you're talking about:

that is very clearly a swingaxle boot and axle tube. Excuse me if I come off snarky but I'm just assuming you're just now becoming familiar with this stuff. We've all been there.

It's an April fools thing.
the floor pans are what I'm referencing. The body was clean from what I could tell. And the paint on it never got roughed up, it was originally green. Then yellow. Now its white.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, duh. lol
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

oh, duh. lol

on that note however, the floor panels being drilled into, is that a problem?

I actually have a few more pictures of the car. And I can easily get more
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 56 is way cool
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the body off that bad boy and weld up a nice cage, 3x3's and the whole nine yards. Would that not be bitchin ? Cool
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a bit discouraged. I went down to hilltop motors here in Florida, got inside a stock bug.... and immediately it felt terrible.

It felt claustrophobic, everything was covered in thick seating and pads, I felt like maybe a baja was a bad idea. I kept thinking though that the difference would be greater with the back seat gone, a lift and some internal updates, yet that disappointment sent me wandering between old car dealerships looking at other ideas I'd had for a vehicle.

Now I'm sitting here eating and thinking "how the fuck do I make this work? "

Now I know that everyone who's worked on these cars can say they are great. Heck the one I posted pictures of here felt nice, albeit ratty, I just keep thinking that I'm gonna end up in more debt foxing one up than I would just buying a new car lol
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep thinking that I'm gonna end up in more debt foxing one up than I would just buying a new car lol

You better get out now while you still have your scruples. This definitely is not a choice that requires any common sense nor practicality. Children should be available for sale to finance. Wives need to be tied to a chair or endless shopping sprees funded.

But above all:

your garage will need a couch and a fridge full of beer and jerky because that's where you'll spend every free moment.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll notice every VW nut has a little twinge in their stare that comes from the stress of loving something that shows it hates you every chance it gets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: