Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was looking at a 66' But I bought this 60' Ragtop instead!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamthewalrus30 wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:
Hate to tell you but if you want the original tail lights you are going to need to repaint the fenders

Well you cant say that and not tell me why. Hahaha why is that?

The holes appear for larger housings, the snowflake taillights only require three linear holes- not a "t" pattern of 4. I also wish he had welded that huge din radio hole before painting. Make sure you get his leftover paint! The hood and decklid alignment look really good.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
iamthewalrus30 wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:
Hate to tell you but if you want the original tail lights you are going to need to repaint the fenders

The holes appear for larger housings, the snowflake taillights only require three linear holes- not a "t" pattern of 4. I also wish he had welded that huge din radio hole before painting. Make sure you get his leftover paint! The hood and decklid alignment look really good.

Hmmm interesting, he told me they were just like the ones on his 55 right next to it. Do you think the fenders are from a later model? Either way I'm going to text him right now and ask about that. Thank you! Yes I agree I wish he hadn't cut that hole in the dash. He did say he has extra paint though! I'll let you know what he says about those lights.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
iamthewalrus30 wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:

So he assured me that the taillight housing will cover all of those holes. He was honest in saying that he is unsure if they aren't original fenders or if someone drilled excess holes. He said thats news to him. He also wasn't sure why the fenders would need to be repainted.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Here are a few more pics of the car. Reply with quote

iamthewalrus30 wrote:
Is there anything about the 60' that had one off part's that I should ask about if the seller has them?

Nice looking car.

Read through the "Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread" sticky above. There are quite a few one-year items to be aware of. Since the car is already painted, though, there are some body items that sorta may not apply without a repaint (doors).

A few notable items though, would include the steering wheel, turn signal switch and horn ring; the exterior driver side door handle; front transaxle mount if you're going with stock running gear; sun visors.

Not one-year items, but 60 was the last year of screw terminal switches and connectors, so any of those items the seller may have would be good to get.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Here are a few more pics of the car. Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
iamthewalrus30 wrote:
Is there anything about the 60' that had one off part's that I should ask about if the seller has them?

Nice looking car.

Read through the "Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread" sticky above. There are quite a few one-year items to be aware of. Since the car is already painted, though, there are some body items that sorta may not apply without a repaint (doors).

A few notable items though, would include the steering wheel, turn signal switch and horn ring; the exterior driver side door handle; front transaxle mount if you're going with stock running gear; sun visors.

Not one-year items, but 60 was the last year of screw terminal switches and connectors, so any of those items the seller may have would be good to get.

Thank you and thank you for all the info! I will definitely be searching through those guides. I really appreciate it.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why you might need to repaint them is in order to fill the holes you will need to weld or bongo them shut. Do you plan to use us spec bumpers with the towel bars or the euro spec with the short over riders?
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
The reason why you might need to repaint them is in order to fill the holes you will need to weld or bongo them shut. Do you plan to use us spec bumpers with the towel bars or the euro spec with the short over riders?

He assured me that no holes, whether it be 1000 holes lol will be noticeable when the housing and light is put back on. As of right now I'm assuming I will be using what bumpers that are coming with the car that he has. I wish I had more up to date pictures, but until the car is put back together and in my hands, I have to wait.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a updated picture of how the car is coming along. He said it's almost done so I'm hoping to have it by next week!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car! Should be a lot of fun!
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathonkeck wrote:
Nice car! Should be a lot of fun!

Thank you! I'm very excited to finally own a VW Bug. I just need a name for her. lol
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow LI hope min looks that good one day. Looks great Laughing
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Wow LI hope min looks that good one day. Looks great Laughing

Thanks! I just saw some pictures of your car. Wow the interior looks clean! I love it. Any upcoming plans for yours?
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he putting in the hood seal?
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m slowly collecting parts and getting back to semi stock.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. Ive got a 60 also. I spliced in a rag top and love it. Have fun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's almost completed! Crazy how the shade of color varies so much from outside to inside. The seller said he's waiting on a couple of things from the body shop. I'm going to check it out on Monday, so I'll for sure get some pictures of my own. Hopefully by next weekend Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:
After viewing the video I would head for the hills no matter what the price is. As mentioned previously, there are so many obvious things missing who knows how many things you CAN'T see that could cause major problems down the road.

I like this one much better. Mostly untouched.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1767017

Dave
Good pick! I love sea blau!
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that 60' ragtop is beautiful great choice! And I assume he's finishing it for you for free? Id prefer it not lowered but I have to admit it looks awesome. I just got a 1960 and I love it, it truly is an early Beetle! I was going to say welcome to the 36hp club like I usually do but welcome to the 1600 club haha. Good luck with your car, its awesome!
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walrus, that is a great looking car, no doubt about it. I think u did the right thing and waited for this one as opposed to the one on ebay. I remember exactly how you feel waiting for the car to be turned over to you. I felt the same way when i bought my 61 bug. Mine didn't look as clean as yours, but still remember being extremely excited. As for the interior, i went to TMI for it. My whole interior was trashed so i gutted it out and started over. My came with an off white headliner, seats and door panels with a grey carpet, way to bland for my taste. I went with a period correct patterns, but different color. I choose the ice blue and off white door panels, ice blue seats with off white piping, grey carpet and off white headliner. Way more my taste. I really don't care too much about how "correct" it is, as long as i like it, it's my car, my way. If i ever sell it and the the person interested complains about the "correctness", it's not for him, on to the next person. I'm just saying "make it your own, however you like". Like i said, it's a great car! Ask if it's an original rag top or was it grafted. I love the rag top, i want to do that to mine, even if it's not original. Razz
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading to see the car in person in a couple of hours. It will be the first time I see it since it didn't have interior and all the trimmings on it. I will be taking more pictures for myself and will try and post them here for you all. Would there be any pictures that you would like me to take? Maybe of some important items that should be on the car. I can take those as well. Just let me know Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: