Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth buying: 1983 Vanagon with Subaru engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good choice to pass on this one.

Might be like opening up "vandora's box"...get it. Ha-ha. Shocked I think those rear vents are floor registers from a house.

Seriously though, I looked for almost two years to find a good tin top Syncro. It's worth the wait if you can be patient and also establish some criteria for what you are looking for.

Not being a skilled mechanic I needed to find a van that was as stock as possible so that I could learn from the factory baseline to build on and modify as needed.

It's been a lot of fun and I lucked out buying a fully stock one owner Syncro. Score!
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
I'm scratching my head on those rear vents. I hope the PO did not do a bunch of hacks when the 2.2 Subie was installed....

Vents are put in that position to create a higher draw of air through the engine compartment. The air, in theory gets sucked out the back.

Quote:

But why is that even an issue? This is a water cooled engine and doesn't need that. There is no real need that I can think of to have that function. The pillar vents and the exposed sides of the engine do that just fine.

It's not an issue. With that engine and setup I agree. Im sure those vents were not put in for the Subaru engine conversion it has now, but it was for another past life motor. If you need more air drawn through the 'D' pillars then that's in theory a way of achieving that. This concept is more suited for aircooled and diesel engines (intercooler setups etc). Who knowns what engines that van has had installed in the past.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: