Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual 30 pict-1
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Dual 30 pict-1 Reply with quote

bear with me guys as I am not much of an engine guy other than making total stockers run good.

I am kicking around the idea of putting dual 30pict-1s on my 1500 sp. right now it has a single and its one of the best running engines I've had. Don't mess with something if its not broken right? Well I have two extra carbs so I could just put the existing single carb/manifold back on like nothing ever happened if the duals are a dud.

that being said, I am wondering about smaller jets?

I've read that I can solder and ream my own sizes from original jets. Would any of you have suggestions for base line jetting? Its a stock 1500 SP as far as I can tell, although I have not opened it up and it has a rebuilders stamp on the case. Or maybe it would run well with stock jetting?

also, would a balance tube be essential in this application?

I get just as annoyed as the rest of you do with the "how much horsepower?" threads, but I am curious if running duals in this application would actually increase power or would just have a cool factor?

thanks for your time,
jake
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Mikuni jets in a 30pict and they make them pretty small...
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_mikuni_N100-604_main_Large_round.htm.
Dual carbs should give a few more ponies, even if only 5 HP that's about a 10% increase over stock.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Casey, that link has almost any size I could need!

I wonder how much I should jet down though?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you pursue the duals!

Have you thought about the intake manifolds? Since the 30-PICT1 carb mounting flange in the stock position sits "front-to-rear", and most single-throat dual carb manifolds have a "side-to-side" carb flange orientation, you have 2 choices. Either make your own manifolds based on two stock 1500 manifolds, or buy a pair of steel manifolds (Weber ICTs, etc), cut and reweld the carb flange 1/4 turn.

I think that after this challenge, the original jets will be very close to optimum. The engine should certainly start and run reasonably well, so that you might end up with jets only a size larger or smaller.

I've thought about this setup myself in the past few years, using a pair of metal type 3 Solex PDSIT manifolds as basis. Those are too short for type 1 application. I'd need to extend them upward and slightly outward so they clear the fan shroud's fresh air outlets. Also would need to slice and rotate the carb flange on them.

As to balance tubes, they were utilized on Kadron, Dell'Orto 34FRD and the Solex PDSIT setups. I have a photo of a friend's 1500 SP which used two Weber 34ICTs. Those manifolds did not have provisions for a balance tube.
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Here is my dual set-up. Reply with quote

Dual 30 pict-1's. The linkage will be a copy of a very early Berg unit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So?
How are they?
What about type 3 single port intakes?
Ands did type 3 single ports sport 32s?

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkskinman wrote:
Ands did type 3 single ports sport 32s?

Yes, they did.

Manual
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/t3dualcarbtuning/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual 30 pict-1 Reply with quote

sled wrote:
bear with me guys as I am not much of an engine guy other than making total stockers run good.

I am kicking around the idea of putting dual 30pict-1s on my 1500 sp. right now it has a single and its one of the best running engines I've had. Don't mess with something if its not broken right? Well I have two extra carbs so I could just put the existing single carb/manifold back on like nothing ever happened if the duals are a dud.

that being said, I am wondering about smaller jets?

I've read that I can solder and ream my own sizes from original jets. Would any of you have suggestions for base line jetting? Its a stock 1500 SP as far as I can tell, although I have not opened it up and it has a rebuilders stamp on the case. Or maybe it would run well with stock jetting?

also, would a balance tube be essential in this application?

I get just as annoyed as the rest of you do with the "how much horsepower?" threads, but I am curious if running duals in this application would actually increase power or would just have a cool factor?

thanks for your time,
jake

years ago. I ran a vanguard dual carbs set up on my 1968 bug . and in the vanguard dual carb kit they had 130 main jets .I now have a big bore 40 hp motor with a mild cam and with a vanguard dual carb set up. on my vintage formula vee race car and I am using dual 30 carbs jetted with 130 mains. it runs and sounds great what works for me might not work for your motor. I allway test out the motor with different jets and use the main jets that work the best on my motor .every motor is different when it comes to jet size good luck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: