Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corrado G60 officially an antique
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Corrado G60 officially an antique Reply with quote

The car that was suppose to transform Volkswagen into the same playing field as the upper German car manufactures. Too bad its price tag was all it had in common Laughing Or was it?

Now I am not at all dissing this car by any means. I personally love it and my roots go far back to selling them back in 1989 and test driving the first one to reach the Midwest. That almost got me fired because I took it home to snap a pic on my front lawn before my service writer even knew it arrived Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also believed it had what it took to be considered a real sports car. Super Charged, cable shift, anti lock brakes, speed activated rear spoiler. These were pretty fresh and bold moves for any car manufacture to come out with in one car especially Volkswagen.
I was also invited to beat on several at an event called the Corrado Rally with 3 professional drivers training us before hand. Pics:

Now did the training work and I became a brainwashed fool for this car? I don't know.

Original sales promotional training video that included Volkswagens main television ad in the begining

Link

Well here is mine. Took me over 20 years to get one and sadly they are getting parted out and crushed faster then you can find one that hasn't already been molested. I think I'm the 10th owner of this one and its been a lot of work to put back with much more work to go.

Volkswagen car show in Eureka Springs Arkansas last year. Took 3rd

Anyway happy antique status Corrad G60!

May the war on Air vs Water end in my lifetime that we may all come together and enjoy the hobby.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice and all, perform decently for a front wheel drive car. But a "sports car" they are not. "Sporty", yes. Just the beginning of VW making a car that got over priced and overly porky, basically a Scirocco replacement that got even fatter than the 2nd gen rocco.

I've owned VW's all my driving life and could never figure out why each gen just had to get bigger and fatter. I've owned mkI's, a mkII and a mkIII and I now have my father's 69' Bug to get back on the road. And with the exception of the AC, the Bug will run circles around anything that is front wheel drive.

I thought about "classic" plates on the Rabbit I had up until this March of 2014, but the restrictions they put on driving a vehicle with them was just not feasible.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my '92 slc! They handle better than anything else i have driven.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
They look nice and all, perform decently for a front wheel drive car. But a "sports car" they are not. "Sporty", yes. Just the beginning of VW making a car that got over priced and overly porky, basically a Scirocco replacement that got even fatter than the 2nd gen rocco.

To say it's not a sports car is incorrect. My guess is you think because it is a front wheel drive that it can't be. Top Gear, Fifth gear, I can go on with several who have in the past and some currently who call it one of the best FWD sports car ever made. It was also never built to be the next Scirocco. It was more of a FWD version of the Porsche 944. The Scirocco was the Rabbit/Golf with a different body. Never meant to be a sports car.

ps2375 wrote:
I've owned VW's all my driving life and could never figure out why each gen just had to get bigger and fatter. I've owned mkI's, a mkII and a mkIII and I now have my father's 69' Bug to get back on the road. And with the exception of the AC, the Bug will run circles around anything that is front wheel drive.

Comparing a 69 Beetle to a 90 Corrado or for that matter a FWD? Run circles around it Confused I think we get the fact you don't like FWD. I have to agree it's tough to compare the 2 types of cars but it's pretty clear opinion over facts are what's going on here.

I also can not stand the fact that cars get bigger, fatter, and heavier but thanks to stupid drivers and more and more on the road every day, they will continue on that trend for safety reasons. It's not just Volkswagen.

And compared to those two The Corrado didn't grow that much

ps2375 wrote:
I thought about "classic" plates on the Rabbit I had up until this March of 2014, but the restrictions they put on driving a vehicle with them was just not feasible.

It is a shame that states do this. Arkansas is a real good state for classics. Period correct mods and options are even ok here. No driving restrictions. Oh and they are $18.00 for the life of owning the car. Smile

Great articles on the Corrado from PetrolBlog in 2012: http://petrolblog.com/2012/11/regrets-volkswagen-corrado-vr6/
Hemmings: http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2013/09/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html
Need for Speed World: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9066851.page
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Corrado

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I love my '92 slc! They handle better than anything else i have driven.

I have to agree the handling is amazing. Toss up some pics.

May the war on Air vs Water end in my lifetime that we may all come together and enjoy the hobby.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against FWD, I drove my Rabbit for 22years before it got totaled by being rear-ended. I never feared any weather when in that car and was building one last motor for it before it's death.

The Corrado didn't grow as much on the outside as those other examples you posted, but it sure did add 600-800#'s as a G60 and possibly more as an SLC. And that wasn't half as far apart in time as your examples. At least the Scirocco and Corrado share some lineage as compared to name only of the others.

I may have come off somewhat negative in my first post, but, I am VW thru and thru. My first car was a VW and I have always owned one since then, they just seem to be getting older(my latest is a 69 Bug from my Dad).
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Corrado.
I just bought a 1990 G60, and I've got a 1.8T out of a 225 AudiTT coming my way to swap into it.

HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:

Because PEOPLE are getting Bigger and Fatter. Wink

I really comes down to safety regulations.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip all of the heavy safety crap added on after seatbelts & have people drive safer... Notice how the added equipment hasn't stopped people from crashing? 😁. They've simply adapted to crashing in better ways.

bnc
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car ! I just registered my 77 as a classic vehicle in Nevada to get past CA smog lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrado G60 officially an antique Reply with quote

Why does this pic remind me of the dude from Workaholics?

VWscudderbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in the day, Seeing these in the Great Smoky Mtn National Park, Back In the 90's , when they were testing them, There was at least 6 of them, They looked absolutely fantastic coming across the mountain into Cherokee, NC.
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Corrado G60 officially an antique Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:

I may have come off somewhat negative in my first post, but, I am VW thru and thru. My first car was a VW and I have always owned one since then, they just seem to be getting older(my latest is a 69 Bug from my Dad).

No problem. I tend to jump because this car in the G60 is so hated on in the States that I feel the need to correct the word lol.
I also found out its considered pretty much worthless to my custom car insurance company American Collector who won't insure it because they say its only worth about $6500.00 Sad

blue72beetle wrote:
Great looking Corrado.
I just bought a 1990 G60, and I've got a 1.8T out of a 225 AudiTT coming my way to swap into it.

Thank you! Love the yellow! Really pops for Nugget Yellow. Is that a repaint?

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

Because PEOPLE are getting Bigger and Fatter. Wink

I really comes down to safety regulations.

That's pretty much it.

didget69 wrote:
Skip all of the heavy safety crap added on after seatbelts & have people drive safer... Notice how the added equipment hasn't stopped people from crashing? 😁. They've simply adapted to crashing in better ways.

bnc
Agree. I think the invention of the automatic transmission was the beginning of the start of lazy distracted drivers. As safety features go up, so does the lazy distracted drivers.

veedubman72 wrote:
Nice car ! I just registered my 77 as a classic vehicle in Nevada to get past CA smog lol

Thanks! It is a nice little bonus in most states to run them. I think cops tend to respect the driver more in a pulled over situation. I know I did when I was a cop. Sometime I would pull people over to see there car better Razz

Shadd wrote:
Why does this pic remind me of the dude from Workaholics?

80's man. What else can I say Laughing

VWscudderbug wrote:
I remember back in the day, Seeing these in the Great Smoky Mtn National Park, Back In the 90's , when they were testing them, There was at least 6 of them, They looked absolutely fantastic coming across the mountain into Cherokee, NC.

That had to of been a sight. The body style is really timeless. Cars today are like a copy of the Corrado. Like the Scion tC ext.

There's an event each year in Michigan that gathers Corrados together called Corrado Rush I may try to attend this year:
https://www.facebook.com/vwcorradorush
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6887068-Corrado-Rush!-June-28th-2014

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrado G60 officially an antique Reply with quote

driverlost wrote:
The car that was suppose to transform Volkswagen into the same playing field as the upper German car manufactures. Too bad its price tag was all it had in common Laughing Or was it?

Now I am not at all dissing this car by any means. I personally love it and my roots go far back to selling them back in 1989 and test driving the first one to reach the Midwest. That almost got me fired because I took it home to snap a pic on my front lawn before my service writer even knew it arrived Embarassed

driverlost, I have a 69 type 1 my family has owned since brand new, I post regularly in the 68-up forum.
However i moseyed on down here to see comments about the Corrado, that is one VW I have always kind of had a weird desire to own. I am also in NW Arkansas, and once many moons ago there was a used car dealer down on College Ave. in Fayetteville by the old Razorback 6 that had 3 Corrados on the lot at the same time, unfortunately never got a chance to seriously consider buying one of them.
I came across this ad and am a bit intrigued, esp. for the price considering the mileage:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4922045154.html

Need some advice!!!

P.S. Have not been to the Eureka Springs show, hope to make it this year-- I was trying to figure out where you took the picture of yours by the mural- finally figured out it was Eureka.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do a car check on it by VIN -- not a fan of Carfax anymore but that's a separate issue. A pic of the odometer doesn't prove its mileage or even if it is the original odometer.

$2,800 for a Corrado only needing one power window regulator is almost too good to be true. And you know what they say, ... but that doesn't mean it isn't worth checking out. Who cares what they say when most of they never owned a Corrado.

That tint would be illegal in Maryland (and too much for my taste), and it is still almost tempting for me.

Don't worry. I just sold my Eos, but I have other focuses. I won't be swooping in. Certainly worth checking out. Good luck.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I'd do a car check on it by VIN -- not a fan of Carfax anymore but that's a separate issue. A pic of the odometer doesn't prove its mileage or even if it is the original odometer.

$2,800 for a Corrado only needing one power window regulator is almost too good to be true. And you know what they say, ... but that doesn't mean it isn't worth checking out. Who cares what they say when most of they never owned a Corrado.

That tint would be illegal in Maryland (and too much for my taste), and it is still almost tempting for me.

Don't worry. I just sold my Eos, but I have other focuses. I won't be swooping in. Certainly worth checking out. Good luck.

Thanks-- all this was kind of what I was thinking, first of all a car that age with that mileage makes me wonder if the engine has been changed, wonder if they just pulled that car's odometer along with it to keep it accurate--who knows. For that price I agree worth checking out. I also agree on CarFax, their reports don't mean jack IMO, but some info is better than none. And yeah that tint is illegal here too, first job would be to get that removed if I did get it. Thx

1600 SP engine
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have good advice. Let us know how it turns out. Worth looking into for sure.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driverlost wrote:
Sounds like you have good advice. Let us know how it turns out. Worth looking into for sure.

Was already sold Sad

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: