Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold gaskets
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

I have a 914 case with Type 4 heads in my Thing. Question is: I want to put the phenolic spacers between the manifolds and heads because the manifolds and carbs seem to run really hot. The spacers are spares from a previous build. Spacers have 3 holes and new heads have 4. No big deal untill I matched holes on a spare Type 4 gasket and found the top holes wider apart on the spacer. Is there a difference in top hole lay out between T4 and 914? I'd like to know this before I take things apart. By the way, I'm aware I need to drill 2 holes on the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

within the type IV motors there was a variety of head designs some with different manifold mounts. I believe the 914 2 liter head had a unique to them three stud manifold. the earlier 914s had the four stud. the VW Bus motor may have had different manifold mounts. there is also a variety of exhaust ports, different shapes.

for the insulator block, try to obtain one that is drilled correctly or else you could make them out of phenolic board.

the 914 motor is a type IV motor. so it should have type IV heads.

the 2.o liter 914 heads also have a different spark plug location than the 1.7 heads. Thus the cylinder cooling tin is different. spark plug holes relocated.

could it be you have all 914 parts (which is a type IV motor) but have a mix of the 2 liter and 1.7 liter parts? If that is the case, you simply need to order the correct spacer for the four stud manifold. again check the cylinder tin you have so that the spark plug holes line up, the difference in the 1.7 and 2.0 spark plug locations is large enough such that you have to have the right tin else you wont have access to the plugs!!!!

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point in time, Jake Raby was making new phenolic blocks. You might contact him or take a look at the type 4 store. You Can also get them at Pelikan parts.

The older victor Reinz gasket kits used to have the phenolic blocks with new cast on gasket material in the kits. I don't know if any of the newer gasket kits still have the phenolic blocks.

These blocks are cast from phenolic resin. They are very flat and parallel on both surfaces. Be careful trying to use phenolic circuit board material in place of this. Its hard to get the surface smooth enough and there are at least four grades of cast phenolic plastic. You need to get one close to the characteristics of the original blocks for heat and chemical resistance.

If you find an old set that have not been cracked by over torque....you can refurb the gasket surfaces quite easily. I have been reusing a couple sets for quite a while now With no issues. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess you have 914 2.0 3-stud spacers and 1.7/1.8 4-stud heads.
From the photo below found on the Internet it seems that manioflds can be made to fit both head types so my guess is that the spacer can be modified in a similar manner.

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
I would guess you have 914 2.0 3-stud spacers and 1.7/1.8 4-stud heads.
From the photo below found on the Internet it seems that manioflds can be made to fit both head types so my guess is that the spacer can be modified in a similar manner.

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes....outside of the hole pattern and some clearancing for runner ID if you are going from 1.7 to 2.0 .....there is no difference. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: