Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L338 Atlas Blue question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwburhans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: L338 Atlas Blue question Reply with quote

Hello, I'm getting quotes for body and paint and I'm painting my car L338 Atlas blue. The last guy looked at a picture and said it was a metal flake color and would have to be a two stage paint which of course costs more. Does anyone know what the paint mixture is? It does have a bit of "something" going on but it doesn't look like a metal or mini flake to me? Maybe just some silver mixed in?

Thanks for any help Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: L338 Atlas Blue question Reply with quote

kwburhans wrote:
Hello, I'm getting quotes for body and paint and I'm painting my car L338 Atlas blue. The last guy looked at a picture and said it was a metal flake color and would have to be a two stage paint which of course costs more. Does anyone know what the paint mixture is? It does have a bit of "something" going on but it doesn't look like a metal or mini flake to me? Maybe just some silver mixed in?

Thanks for any help Very Happy

Uh....if silver is mixed into it....its a "metalflake" paint. The term metal flake....simply means its a metallic paint. Metallic means it literally is made from flakes of metal, mica or plastic in place of or alongside other pigments.

virtually all silver paints are metallic. The actual ingredient that makes them silver is micro powdered aluminum. The few modern exceptions to this rule are paints that use certain high luster plastic flakes in place of aluminum.

Either way....if its a "flake" based paint...it almost always requires a clear coat because the flakes poke through the surface at a microscopic level making it open to attack from moisture and allowing exposed metal flakes to oxidize. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwburhans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! That's what I needed to know. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: