Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphore mounting question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Semaphore mounting question Reply with quote

Question on semaphore installation.

My 49 has the L/R semaphores. They appear to install like any other semaphores do but when they are screwed down tight, they are not centered in the slot and they seem to be too far "inside" the pocket. All the pictures I've seen and the cars I've seen in person are mostly centered in the pockets and the ribbed surface is about flush with the outside edge of the pocket. Mine are a few millimeters below the surface

Additionally while the mounting screw is tight, the top seems to be somewhat loose left to right.

What options do I have to get these mounted a bit better? I'd like to see them further out, more centered and a bit firmer. Could it be as simple as bending the upper tab a bit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Semaphore Mounting Reply with quote

I would urge not to bend anything at this time.

I would be happy to help you,you can email me directly at [email protected]

Each semaphore symptom can have multiple possible causes or solutions so it is important to diagnose properly and act accordingly.

Further, the tune of the semaphore can be a complex matter, taking an action to solve one issue can very well create another even worse problem. By "tune" I mean that semaphores are not simply a matter of assembling it all together and shipping it out. Each part has a function, one part may well affect the function of another AND this is particularly true of the rubber bumper stop. Semaphores are kind of simple, they go up and light up and go down and turn off the light. BUT WAIT, you do not want them to rise simply because you drive down the highway with wind forces pulling them up. So there is a mechanism to stop this. Raising your rubber stop height so that the semaphore arm is flush with the box directly affects this function.

Semaphores are held in place in two ways:

--- there is a large hook at the top rear of the semaphore. This hooks into a horizontal latch piece at the top of the semaphore box. There is usually some left to right movement to centre the semaphore.

---there is a 6 MM bolt at the bottom of the semaphore that bolts into the rear of the semaphore box at the bottom. The large slot/hole that the bolt goes thru at the bottom of the semaphore body also allows for some small left to right movement for centering.

Both also allow for up and down movement as well (much more than left to right) to centre the semaphore vertically. if it is too low the tip of the semaphore arm will hit the bottom edge of the box and if it is too high the semaphore arm will strike the top edge of the box causing damage.

Matt from Matt's Parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resting "depth" position can be adjusted a bit by bending the tab that holds the rubber bumper up. As for slop at the top tab, I would either collapse the slot that the tab slips into a bit (with a piece of wood, as not to chip paint) and/or put a piece of duck tape on the tab. I would think that if the M6 screw is really tight, it shouldn't be an issue.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: