Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Change of address for someone else
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Absolutely the best way to handle this is to put in a change of address for your FAMILY.

When her mail arrives at your new place, then deal with it.

More problems are created by a COA then will be solved. About 10 years back I had an apartment I rented in my house. I had students stay here who were going through an 8 week course at a local tech school.

One moron had his mail forwarded to my address while he was attending this course. When the course was over and he went back home he stopped the mail forwarding.

Unfortunately the post office then sent ALL the mail to him - far away in another state. After several weeks I got a call from him that he was sending me a box full of my mail that had come to him.

A lot of time sensitive material didn't get to me on time.

I ended up having to do a COA for my mail from his address to mine!

Now, 10 years latter I still receive mail for him from time to time.

Many of the people who work for the USPS today don't give a rat's ass and couldn't use their brain cell to get out of a wet paper bag. So expecting the post office to do something effective for you in this (or any other) case is probably out of the question.

File a COA for all your mail and simply continue to mark her stuff "not at this address" and drop it back in the mail box. Thats your best protection!

Sadly this would be a lot less effective than you think. The reason the mail doesn't get forwarded like you intended has more to do with the automated systems than "lazy" postal workers.
The canceling of a COA wouldn't cause a single piece of mail to go from your house to any other. Not a chance. If mail addressed to you went anywhere else it was because someone filed a COA in your name.
"Family" COAs are the number one cause of forwarding screw ups. Never, ever check "family" unless every single person is moving to the same address. Fill out "individual" for each name that will get mail that needs to be forwarded, including maiden names and things are more likely to go the way you like.
If you put your names on your box the chances of getting the wrong mail go down, but if you have a big dilapidated rusty piece of shit mailbox with no name or number on it, the letter carrier will likely care as much about the situation as you obviously do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies I'll keep putting them back in the mailbox. It kind of feels like I'm sweeping the beach.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I divorced my in debt ex, I did the COA for individual and have had no problem with mail. I also went with unlisted on the phone. Some how the debt collectors connected her to my fathers phone number and address. He has been harassed for ten years now. He gets at least a phone call or two per week. I've tried everything to get them to stop, but every time the debt gets sold he gets a new on rush of phone calls. Rolling Eyes

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you were wondering, I've been with the usps for 21 years and spent five of those in a customer service position. I've handled hundreds of COA screw ups and was regularly amazed by the way people can figure out ways to goof up their own mail delivery. I'm sad to say that sometime those goofy living arrangements and bitter break ups create forwarding disasters that are damn near impossible to untangle.
Just remember, it's a free, money losing service that the Postal Service provides, and it was never intended to make sure that when your live in ex girlfriend with three alias's and a son with your exact same name except with a Jr. That never gets used moves out and back in three times in four months and wants the joint Discover card to follow her but not the Visa. It just won't work, and that isn't because we didn't try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tools available so that no one has to be at the mercy of debt collectors. All it requires is a person being bothered to be proactive. My advice is to make it into a game, because if there's a chance I can take action whereby a debt collector is fined for breaking the law, then I'll gladly study the rule book and play the game like nobody's business.

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

How do I get a debt collector to stop calling me if it's not my debt?

Debt Collection for the Wrong Person

I have read enough case law in my studies that I can say the FTC goes after debt collectors like a starving dog goes after a raw steak.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have more fun when sweeping...

Run down to Staples, and have them make you a custom red-ink stamp that reads:

"Deceased, Prayer answered"

or

"Addressee Incarcerated"

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
Just in case you were wondering, I've been with the usps for 21 years and spent five of those in a customer service position. I've handled hundreds of COA screw ups and was regularly amazed by the way people can figure out ways to goof up their own mail delivery. I'm sad to say that sometime those goofy living arrangements and bitter break ups create forwarding disasters that are damn near impossible to untangle.
Just remember, it's a free, money losing service that the Postal Service provides, and it was never intended to make sure that when your live in ex girlfriend with three alias's and a son with your exact same name except with a Jr. That never gets used moves out and back in three times in four months and wants the joint Discover card to follow her but not the Visa. It just won't work, and that isn't because we didn't try.

I wasn't wondering because of the way you defended the USPS I ffigured you worked there. The scenario you made up for the sake of argument is not mine. We got divorced, we both moved away, I filled out a coa for myself and she didn't. I'm not sure how that's considered a goofy living arrangement.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USPS does not referee divorces and child support payments. That is the court systems job.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
Derek Cobb wrote:

I wasn't wondering because of the way you defended the USPS I ffigured you worked there. The scenario you made up for the sake of argument is not mine. We got divorced, we both moved away, I filled out a coa for myself and she didn't. I'm not sure how that's considered a goofy living arrangement.

I didn't mean to imply your situation was goofy, I was just giving an example of the crazy stuff we dealt with regularly. Your situation appears a lot more run of the mill. Basically just irritating collection agencies making your life as miserable as they can. Hope you can shut 'em down.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Derek, I've lived in two rental places that she has never even set foot inside but I keep getting her shit in the mail. I will be a homeowner in a few days and I'm sure her debt collectors will follow. Mad

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an ideal. Rent a Post Office Box at your new city. Fill out a "Individual" change of address from your old place to the PO Box. Then you can privately notify people of your new address.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Here is an ideal.

You're deliberately trying to torture me, aren't you?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
You should have more fun when sweeping...

Run down to Staples, and have them make you a custom red-ink stamp that reads:

"Deceased, Prayer answered"

or

"Addressee Incarcerated"

Although this sounds amusing it can actually fire off a chain of events that could create serious liability.

Writing "Deceased" on a letter will create a ripple effect far beyond the intended recipient. Companies buy and sell addresses (aka Information), which includes forwarding addresses, changed addresses, and noted information, such as when someone is deceased. When a person is noted as deceased in a company's database and then that company either sells its information *OR* reports updated information to a larger data collector, that information is then disseminated to even more companies.

One of the largest collectors of National Change of Address (NCOA) data is Globe Life in Oklahoma City. One of my responsibilities at the FAA was to process NCOA data every quarter, so in addition to address fixes and moves included records flagged with 'D' (Deceased). The FAA is one of many entities who buy data from companies like Globe Life in an effort to keep its data accurate.

The same holds true for "Addressee Incarcerated".

Actions have consequences, and one day you may figure that out.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Here is an ideal.

You're deliberately trying to torture me, aren't you?

Dont you dare touch the bar,we like it nice and low...limbo low..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: