Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cork Underlayment for a Toxin-Free Sound Deadener/Insulation
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Cork Underlayment for a Toxin-Free Sound Deadener/Insulation Reply with quote

Thoughts?
There was one topic which touched on it five years ago but it went no where. One guy commented "Cork laid over metal will actually draw moisture and cause a problem later. Its been tried before." But I've found nothing on the net which solidifies his statement.

Seems like it would be an excellent choice...

Sound insulator — deadens all types of noise between floors and walls
Thermal insulator — keeps out cold; helps control condensation on floors
Safe — no toxic off-gassing
Moisture-resistant — resists mold and mildew
Durable, dense — won't compress easily
Eco-friendly — renewable resource; biodegradable
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be pretty decent. Do look for an sds sheet just to make sure what it was compounded with.....as most cork sheet is ground or chunked up and mixed with a binder.

If you are worried about moisture against the metal....seal that side first with your favorite non-tox sealer or paint. Let it dry and apply a complete layer of adhesive and contact it to the metal. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore out the wall to wall carpet in my upstairs and put down a cork floor. Great stuff as a sound barrier, moisture barrier, and antimicrobial. I would imagine it would work well in a car as long as the steel floor you're attaching it to is sealed good, as with any product you'd put over it.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: