Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Landspeed Racing Project, My 57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Yes it appears the salt is drying out after the rains that cancelled Speed Week. Keep your fingers crossed for no more rain. One good thing is that Danny Thompson, son of Mickey had restored and updated his Dad's Challenger II car and is bringing it to WOS. Will be a very cool car to see. Now, if we can just finish my new trailer in the next couple of days, all will be good.....

How was the race in Vegas John?

brad
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool. Hurry up and weld that new one up!
It went great actually. We took 1st in 2000 class even after breaking 1st gear in the last 70 miles and got stuck in silt twice. We had to be pulled up two silt hills in th middle of the night. There are tons of stories with this one. We even almost hit a Bull in the middle of the course at speed.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer is done. Tomorrow we fit the front splitter and then I start loading up the car, all the pit stuff and spares. We leave Wednesday morning 5am to make southern Montana by dark.

Still working out the basic tune having some issues of lean running at high rpm.....

Almost ready.....

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is sitting in the pits, run sticker in the window, passed both 130 and 150 tech with ease. Tomorrow I'm gonna beat on this thing like a rented mule. Cool Very Happy

brad
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Speedweek Reply with quote

Good luck! Cheering you on to SPEED!
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well??? How did you do?
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a really frustrating year for racing. We sat in line for hours as they lapped comp cars by us time and time again. My first run had the car go sideways at just under 100mph and I coasted through the beams at 88mph.

After a melt down in the pits my good friend and belt bitch Rick found a loose pivot bolt on the right dogleg. We tightened that and did an rear alignment and sat in line for 4.5 hours before they told us they were closing the track for the day. I won't tell you how I felt, just guess......

The next morning we did the HVWs photo shoot and then went and sat in line for another 2.5 hours waiting to run. the car went straight and I ran a 118 (190kph) but the motor wasn't running great, a lot of reverberation through the intakes and it leaned out in the middle rpms. I tried everything I could and changed jets a couple of times and ran 117s 2 more times before I pulled the plug and loaded the car Monday at noon.

The car wasn't responding that much to changes and I didn't feel like sitting in line again for another 4 hours to make one run, so we went to the big track and watched Danny Thompson run 419 in his Dad's car that he had just finished upgrading. Mickey would be proud, it's an absolute work of art.

Totally disheartened with the USFRA and the way they treated us. Seriously considering going to Willmington next time. And won't ever go to World of Speed again if Speed Week rains out. I can sit in the sun at home and we can save $3500 in gas, food and lodging.

Quite happy with the car. I would have like to have gone faster but a 118 on a new car isn't bad. Would to have like to have run the long track but I knew that dream was crushed Saturday morning.

Crappy year for racing, but I got to make some new friends and hang out with some old ones and that's just as important to me as the racing.

THANKS RICK, YOU WERE A SAVIOR!!!!!!

brad
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car looked great Brad! I didn't pay attention to where you were in the HVWs photo shoot.......I was distracted by the girl in the orange cocktail dress and heels that showed up (nice race car accessory if you can get away with it). I'll agree that the wait at the start line was too long. Even a couple of the starters didn't like it. Monday I was third in line at 8am and still had to wait to make my run until almost 10am. I could have done one more run but the line didn't move at all, it looked like another two hour wait. We went to the pits and packed it in. No real speed this year for me either but I did get to run a new car on the salt so I'm good with that.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday, the starter came and told my wife to tell me to un-belt and that they were calling the race, she told him no, he would have to do it.

I didn't have much of a problem with them running the cars from impound in the mornings, they earned it with a possible record, but when USFRA officials on Facebook are telling bike riders they should have come to WOS because they were lapping bikes on the 130 course, that about tore it right there and shows me how much respect they had for our efforts and money we put into our racing.

It was great to see you and the Mrs. again Matt. I never did hear what you ran for mph this year.

brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Was a really frustrating year for racing.
Seriously considering going to Willmington next time.

Yep not good racing this year. Some yes but not all.
Liz is ready for a road trip to Wilmington Smile
Don't put me to high up on the pedestal Brad.
I just have a knack for troubleshooting under stress and pressure.
I still hurt from that big hug, buddy Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

It was great to see you and the Mrs. again Matt. I never did hear what you ran for mph this year.

brad

67mph with just the 28PCI carb, 72mph with the Speedwell super charger. I was having a problem with the tune on the stone stock engine and the super charger is brand new territory for me. I have a few modifications to make to make it run better. Good experience though to see what the car handled like on the salt, got a couple small changes to make there too.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Was a really frustrating year for racing.
Seriously considering going to Willmington next time.

Yep not good racing this year. Some yes but not all.
Liz is ready for a road trip to Wilmington Smile
Don't put me to high up on the pedestal Brad.
I just have a knack for troubleshooting under stress and pressure.
I still hurt from that big hug, buddy Wink

Sorry Bud, didn't mean to rough you up. I'm usually pretty good under pressure, but I have to admit, by the time I got to the track I was all done in. It's been a long year in so many ways. Thanks for being there, getting my back and kicking my ass back into the game.

Brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short update.

I've decided to keep the car and further develop it instead of building a new racer. I sold my 48 IDAs and purchased a set of race prepped EPC 51s with 44mm vents and all the Jaycee parts I had on my IDAs. I also added a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line so I can monitor my fuel pressure. After talking to some tech guys I am also going to try switching fuels to an aerated 100 octane VP non leaded race gas instead of the 112 I ran last year. Initial run seemed much better, pulled harder throughout the rpm range. Was fun to merge into freeway traffic in second gear LOL

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the big Easter weekend car show with some buddies displaying our cars. George Barris was this years special guest and was signing autographs.

Here he is signing my glove box block off plate adding his name to my friends Burly Burlile, Tom Bruch, and Dick Beith that I got last September. Pretty cool

brad
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I was at the big Easter weekend car show with some buddies displaying our cars. George Barris was this years special guest and was signing autographs.

Here he is signing my glove box block off plate adding his name to my friends Burly Burlile, Tom Bruch, and Dick Beith that I got last September. Pretty cool

brad

Does that mean he is going to claim that he built your car? Wink

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. LOL This car is so below his standards. He probably could have done better in his sleep........but it's just the way I like it.

brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that means it will go in a straight line at speed?
Zip tie in hand Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
so that means it will go in a straight line at speed?
Zip tie in hand Wink

I'm gonna work on it buddy, I'm gonna work on it.

brad
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for saving it from the scrapper, as it did not look totaled.

It just kills me when I see VWs in reasonable condition being parted out or scrapped, removing them from the roads forever.

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thom, There wasn't much car left when I got it, but enough to do what I needed. I could have spent a few years collecting all the missing hard to find parts and $20K restoring it but that's not my style. Twisted Evil

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: