Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia - rockers repair
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
95wvu95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Ghia - rockers repair Reply with quote

In general I'm a pretty handy guy. But when it comes to cars my technical knowledge is lacking. That said, I took my 72 ghia to a pro for body work. He stripped, blasted and epoxy primered the doors, hood and deck lid. They all look great. Then came the bad news. He started digging into the body and the rocker area has issues. The center divide looks like it's quite rusted. In fact, I'm worried about the whole area. I know to do it right I should have him replace the heater channels, center divide and outer rocker skin. Compared to other cars it seems like vw parts are fairly reasonable. But with labor charges I'm sure this will get expensive.

So here is my question - when do you pull the plug on a project like this? I see some nice looking ghias advertised all the time for pretty cheap. This project is going to add up quickly. If I was doing the repairs myself (if I was able) it might be different. Any advice???

If I decide to go forward how involved will the repairs be? Approximately how many hours would he have it the rocker replacement?

Thanks..Tony
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad thing about the ghias you see advertised is the rust is easily hidden or unknown by the owner unless a recent resto has been done. It will up the cost of the paint and body work but you will have piece of mind knowing it's right and will be for a long time. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet unless you were just building a car to flip. Stop where your at and sell as a project.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an active thread on this very topic that covers the matters in great detail. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598829
Have you looked through it?
You seem to have lodged a fair amount of money so far. If you are limited in funds then perhaps flipping it now is the best thing. However, doing the job of replacing the rockers is the ultimate good approach. Both those points have already been stated as the long term fix. It will not be a waste of paint.

So don't waste more money taking it further if it isn't going to be done right. As a project for sale, a buyer might just appreciate the work done thus far.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
95wvu95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and direction to the link. I will review it in detail. It's not that I can't fund the repairs. Fortunately, I have the money to do the work - and have it done right. And I don't have a ton of money in the car so far. I guess my concern was having more money in the car than it is worth. But I've had this car for almost 10 years. All that time it was a bit of a disaster and never looked very good. We finally got in running good but then the body issue hit. That said, my kids would definitely be upset if I got rid of it. My 15 year old already claimed it as his. Not that money is the ultimate factor but what would a properly done 72 ghia be worth? Say I had all the rust removed, new rockers, sheet metal put on and a really nice paint job. Plus it runs well and has a nice interior. Basically say I had a very nice restoration done without the body being taken off. Any idea? I guess I'd prefer not to have 18k invested in a 8k car.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95wvu95 wrote:
.....what would a properly done 72 ghia be worth? Say I had all the rust removed, new rockers, sheet metal put on and a really nice paint job. Plus it runs well and has a nice interior. Basically say I had a very nice restoration done without the body being taken off. Any idea? I guess I'd prefer not to have 18k invested in a 8k car.

You won't be as upside down as you think. If you can keep your investment at around $15k you should be in pretty good shape!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95wvu95 wrote:
I guess I'd prefer not to have 18k invested in a 8k car.

Yes but you'll have an $8k car that looks like it's worth $18k. These cars are still largely undervalued...prices aren't going to crash any time soon. If you keep the car for any reasonable time the difference between cost and value will steadily decrease. Can you put a price on the fun you and your family will get from it too.

This on "Costs" from a week or so ago: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623203
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you an idea. Haggerty lists values for my vert from 8k-40k based on condition. I've spent wayyyy wayyyy more than the car is worth. Probably hasn't made a lot of sense but I'm stubborn.

I could have frittered the money away on other things or a hobby. I chose the hobby. I think the cars value will increase over time
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia - rockers repair Reply with quote

95wvu95 wrote:
In general I'm a pretty handy guy. But when it comes to cars my technical knowledge is lacking. That said, I took my 72 ghia to a pro for body work. He stripped, blasted and epoxy primered the doors, hood and deck lid. They all look great. Then came the bad news. He started digging into the body and the rocker area has issues. The center divide looks like it's quite rusted. In fact, I'm worried about the whole area. I know to do it right I should have him replace the heater channels, center divide and outer rocker skin. Compared to other cars it seems like vw parts are fairly reasonable. But with labor charges I'm sure this will get expensive.

So here is my question - when do you pull the plug on a project like this? I see some nice looking ghias advertised all the time for pretty cheap. This project is going to add up quickly. If I was doing the repairs myself (if I was able) it might be different. Any advice???

If I decide to go forward how involved will the repairs be? Approximately how many hours would he have it the rocker replacement?

Thanks..Tony

Unless someone can show photos and receipts of the work on the rocker/heater channel area its pretty difficult to find cars that do not have at least some rust issues in that area. I would say you are better off continuing with what you have.

At this point you know what you have. While it may be expensive to repair the rust your cost should be somewhat predictable at this point in the process.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia - rockers repair Reply with quote

95wvu95 wrote:
I know to do it right I should have him replace the heater channels, center divide and outer rocker skin. Compared to other cars it seems like vw parts are fairly reasonable. But with labor charges I'm sure this will get expensive.

I'm the owner of the "average joe" thread referenced above. My lesson has been that channel repair is not just channel/divider/skin... you liklely will need to replace the lower fender sections and also maybe the dogleg and bulkhead (which could require body off and more money of course). You should get a full assessment (which is very possible by looking at strategic places) before cutting.

95wvu95 wrote:
In general I'm a pretty handy guy.

You sound like the type of guy that I started my thread for Very Happy Though I am not a success story (yet), I have fully enjoyed this process so far and am learning so much and falling in love with this thing more than I could have by being just a spectator. I did not set out to do this level of work and frankly was upset at first, but I am trying to make lemonade out of this lemon and it has been quite a positive experience. Good luck!
95wvu95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to work this issue out. If the center divide is rusted around the heat vent does that mean the rocker is unstable? Still trying to determine if the center divide just controls air flow or if its structural?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structural
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95wvu95 wrote:
If the center divide is rusted around the heat vent does that mean the rocker is unstable? Still trying to determine if the center divide just controls air flow or if its structural?

Short answer: Structural. From your other threads, I gather you have a coupe like me, not a convertible. If that's the case, what you are calling the "center divider" is actually the outer wall of the channel. In this cross-section, it's the wall in the middle to give you a sense of how it provides structure...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this pic shows you what that outer wall of the channel might look like...

Btw, here is how my 71 looked around the heat vent if you want to compare it to yours...

Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that most ghias have this issue (unless they've been restored and done properly). Even ones that look great still have it lurking inside as once it bubbles on the outside it looks like the pictures above.

The upside is if you do make the investment then you know that yours is all fixed and should last you another 50 years. Buy another one and you could face the same issue. Is your car for keeps? Then yes I think its worth the investment- they aren't making any more of these cars and good examples are hard too find!

What does your body guy estimate for time for repairs? My take is do it once and do it properly but I don't plan on selling my cars soon and they are a hobby for me not an investment.
95wvu95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Just so I understand completely - the heater channel panel (complete unit you can buy from KGPR or Cip1.com) is not the same as the rocker? I know I'm showing my ignorance but is the rocker a separate part that that heater channel sits on?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocker...in J1's second pic its the piece that is cut away and leaning against heater channel. The rocker is the outer skin of the heater channel, under the door.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: