Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Media Blasting my 63
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Media Blasting my 63 Reply with quote

Hello fellow VW lovers...Was wondering if any of you can shed some advice possibly from your own experiences or knowledge. I am getting ready to have my 63 Bug media blasted and my question is...Do I have to have the car primed right after or can the vehicle sit in my garage for a little while I come up with all the funds for the paint and body work? Thank you in advance for all the insight!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very very careful!

Way too many stories here about media blasting that ends up warping body panels due to blaster using way too high of air pressure.

These VWs are made of steel that rusts as soon as the metal is exposed to oxygen, and there is about 18% of that in the air about you. So best to derust and epoxy primer as fast as possible. Cheap primers are not gas tight as epoxy primer, so even when coated with the cheap primer in just a few weeks the rust can take hold right thru it.

You should take a gander and ask this question in the "Body/Paint" forum. For some reason they have tons of body and paint info there. Laughing

Good that you are asking the questions you have. Better to take lots of time in research than to have to take a lot more time fixing or giving up on the problem caused.....

The moderator can move this post there for you...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur with E&B. Even in socal you have a small window. Covered in a garage will buy you more time. There are products that can extend the window, phos acid, PickleX, Hinderust. If you get in DP or epoxy primer you're golden.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Kezzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Eric&Barb and c21darrel for all the great insight. You information is very helpful and much appreciated.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my 69 bug convertible shell sand blasted and boy did they ever warp every panel on it. I was NOT HAPPY and made him lower his price down significantly when I saw the damage he did.

You're best bet is to call around to various places near you. Ask what they use for media. Share your concern with NOT wanting any panels warped. See what they say and if they sound like they know what the are doing.

I'd also ask around at restoration shops near you. Ask who they use.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use chemical stripper on all flat areas and blast all edges . Only use walnut or plastic for the media
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playsand with a siphon blaster at 90psi does not warp panels. I have done it many times with sheet metal. Wink
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never warped a panel using sand either. Maybe the big, high pressure machines are to blame.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of warping a panel until recently and I have blasted many thin and rusted panels. I searched the web for it after cautioned in this forum and it was news to me.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Ive never warped a panel using sand either. Maybe the big, high pressure machines are to blame.

Yep. That, and a lack of experience with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you leave marks in the metal , You are stretching the metal ! The more marks , The more stretching . Use soft media like walnut shell , Plastic , bakeing soda and reduce chance's . Plus use'n sand shot peens metal and makes it very hard ! And doing metal finishing with NO filler makes the work twice as hard ! Your file does not cut and you cannot file flat
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great indication if you are stretching the metal but you are supposed to be aiming the nozzle at rust. Sandblasting a clean piece of steel seems like a waste of time. Very Happy
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather take my time and strip a outer skin with chemical/paint stripper and be able to metal finish . Use chemical/metalprep to desolve your rust issue and let the blaster just do detail cleaning . Blasting crusty rust tends to make your metal disappear and have pinholes. or if its that bad , cut it off in the beginning and get the metal cleaned up behind for the patch panel replacement. I mostly blast jams , inner structure, rain gutters , window frames and hard to get to places. My old blaster used a combo of about 90% walnut and about 10 % glass bead. worked bitchen !
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on link below....I had my 55 media blasted with walnut shells (zero warped panels) and sat in my garage in Houston for 3-4 weeks prior applying primer.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550023&highlight=walnut
1955 Semaphore Oval
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've use the green colored 4-1/2 in. Polycarbide Abrasive Wheel from Harbor freight to remove paint from the Ghia I been restoring, and it removed the paint like a hot knife cutting through butter. I was very impressed with how quickly the wheel worked on a 4.5 grinder. They do wear down fairly fast, but at $4.99 when not on "sale" so what?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run a Media blasting shop here in Nor-Cal, and have done hundreds of cars.. including a few VW's.. As long as you get someone who knows what they are doing then you should have NO problems... As for some people suggesting to use "play sand" and abrasive media from harbor freight... I strongly disagree... it will warp body panels QUICK if you don't know what you are doing... I used to use a couple different grades of aluminum oxide (comes in different "grit" levels just like sand paper) but that is ONLY for the jams and corners of bodies... For the panels (doors, fenders, hoods, etc) I used a crushed acrylic (plexi glass powder basically) with lower pressure.. The downfall to that OR softer abrasives like walnut shell, is that is does not cut through rust a ton.. It is mostly for paint and filler removal.. But it will not get hot and warp or stretch panels... Hope that helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could find a "dustless" or wet blaster, then you wouldn't have to worry about warping.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
You could find a "dustless" or wet blaster, then you wouldn't have to worry about warping.

Its about profiling the metal that causes the warping, not necessarily the heat associated to the blasting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: