Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick help please??? 74 bug quit - solved
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Quick help please??? 74 bug quit - solved Reply with quote

History:
-Getting ready for Bugapalooza, took it to the car wash
-washed off the car and motor (low pressure, no water on dist, etc.)
-cranked and ran great for 2-3 miles home
-coming in the driveway, it began to sputter and misfire
--OK, I thought, some water did get into the dist.
-pulled dist cap - NO Moisture - sprayed Elec Cleaner into it just to make sure
-Let it sit for 2-3 hours as I vacuumed and cleaned the car
-went to leave and it cranked right up

BUT HERE'S THE ISSUE: with any throttle at all it would kick and sputter, like it was either not getting fuel or it was misfiring!!!????
-My glass fuel filter is full, and at idle it looked like fuel was flowing fine

I don't know where to start! Do I remove and try to clean out the carb (stock carb)? Do I look for some sort of elect issue?

I thought maybe the vacuum advance wasn't working since it idled OK, but misfired with throttle. I noticed that the vacuum advance doesn't move when I suck on the hose, is it supposed to move some? or only when the dist is turning?

I put new vacuum caps over the EGR ports on the carb (stock carb) thinking they may be leaking causing a vacuum leak and not advancing the dist, and now it won't stay running at idle (maybe I flooded it).

Kinda sounds like a clogged carb, doesn't it?

Please help with any suggestions, really wanted to go this year (was supposed to be up there NOW!)

Last edited by drgerry on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing water on some spark wires is causing spark to jump, might be fine once it fully dries off.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope
Checked those
All dry
VW Habit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapor lock? Take the gas cap off and try to start it.
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tries to crank, but won't now - kicks and sputters
pulled gas cap off, still won't crank
pulled top off carb, sprayed everything with carb cleaner - no help
pulled plugs, they were black like not firing, cleaned them reinstalled - no help

plugs being black = not firing??? maybe coil went back all of a sudden?????
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: QUICK HELP PLEASE??? 74 bug quit - going to Bugapalooza! Reply with quote

drgerry wrote:

I thought maybe the vacuum advance wasn't working since it idled OK, but misfired with throttle. I noticed that the vacuum advance doesn't move when I suck on the hose, is it supposed to move some? or only when the dist is turning?

I had this happen to me awhile back (vacuum canister went kaput.) My distributor was a DVDA so i was able to unhook the whole vacuum can and run on mechanical advance only (like an 009.) I see from your photos you only have vacuum advance, is yours an SVDA or SVA? If SVDA you can do the same thing- unhook and cap your vacuum advance, see if you can get the car to start, if so time it using the 30° BTDC method.

I'm not saying that's what it is but I suppose it's worth a shot

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giving up for the night . . . . tried an old coil I had laying around. No help either.

It actually seems like it's out of time. But, that's impossible (or is it?). The distributor is securely tightened, TDC points to #1 cyl. Besides, how could it get out of time all of a sudden when it was running so good????

Got to be a firing issue, something got wet? But why would it wait 3 miles or so before it started acting up???? Points are fairly new, less than a year (and I only drive it about 20 miles a month.) Plugs, new too.

When coils go bad, will they cause sputtering like this? I did notice that the coil seems to be real hot. I have been trying to crank it a lot lately.

It seems to be worse, now it won't even idle.

It's good to go to bed defeated . . . . I'd hate to think too highly of myself

so much for Bugapalooza . . . . .
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001:

SVDA? SVA? I dunno??? All I know it's what came on it OEM. 74 Standard Beetle.

No, I actually forgot to re-connect the vacuum line and it still didn't crank.

I just noticed that nothing inside the distributor moves when I put vacuum on the hose. It does hold vacuum, so I'm assuming the diaphragm is good. Is something supposed to move in there?

How can it go from running so good to not even cranking? Coil?????? But, it's not more than a couple years old itself.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull off the vac can, and put vac to it, there is a lever or a slide that comes out of it and attaches to the insides of the dizzy that should be sliding in with vac, and then back out when no vac. if it is not sliding then you are not getting any advance, and that is likely your problem.
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: posted this in the wrong thread, sorry Reply with quote

Thanks to Glenn, yes . . . my dist was froze up. I had to use a screw driver and WD40 to get it loose.

Now, how do I get this thing apart to clean and grease it??? Can it be done DIY?? Special tools?

(did I screw up using WD40 in there?)
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: post this in the wrong thread, also Reply with quote

OK, so I got the dist adv to free up with WD40, and using a paper towel and small screwdriver, cleaned up all the excess rusty looking lubricant, continually working it back and forth until no more was evident. Then used some high temp grease (just a dab) and continued to work it back and forth. Then cleaned up any excess grease.

Now it cranks right up, but it doesn't run good. I set points at TDC to 0.016 gap.

When I checked timing I noticed the timing mark was jumping back and forth. What causes this?
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After dicking with it all morning, I still can't get it to run right . . . When I first got it to run, took it down the road and it did pretty good. But, the further I went the worse it got.

Came back and cleaned the points with Elect Cleaner, thinking some grease got on them, but no help.

The points look good, I cleaned the spark plugs last night. Rotor and cap have usual wear.

Now, the dist hold down bracket bolt broke!!!! It just isn't meant for me to go to Chattanooga this year!!!!!

Well, we're going anyway, in a Toyota. But I at least can talk to someone and buy parts!
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm stumped!!!

Talked around at the show, got advise that it was probably a bad rotor/cap (must have gotten burnt when the dist vac advance froze up). So, bought new cap/rotor . . . . . yep, didn't help.

I've cleaned plugs, cleaned points, reset points to .016 TDC, took the carb top off and sprayed everything with carb cleaner, pulled out the large carb adj screw and sprayed cleaner in there.

What I have noticed is that my timing light gives me sporadic firing. #1 isn't firing all the time. Seems to me that it has to be an electrical issue, the coil should be creating juice, and the dist should be sending it to the plugs every time, right? Even if the carb isn't adjusted right, or it's out of time a little.

What I don't understand is that it ran PERFECT prior to washing off the motor. But, it also ran PERFECT for 2-3 miles to get back home. Then I found the dist vac adv rusted firm. One would think that fixing that would fix the problem.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE WD40 / AND WHITE LITHIUM GREASE I USED TO FREE UP THE VAC ADV IS DOING SOMETHING TO THE POINTS / CAP / ROTOR CONTACTS? I have sprayed electrical cleaner all inside to try to get rid of it, but may still be some in there??????
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: post this in the wrong thread, also Reply with quote

drgerry wrote:
Now it cranks right up, but it doesn't run good. I set points at TDC to 0.016 gap.

You don't set the points at TDC. You slowly spin the engine by hand and set the points at their widest gap. It will not be TDC.
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an extra set of plug wires to try, just to eliminate them as a contributing factor..... Smile

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ptjjb -
thank you for your correction, yes I did set it at widest gap. I remember turn the dist to get the points at the highest part of the lobe.

houseofboyd -
no, no extra wires around -

I've been researching and it appears that a bad condenser will cause misfiring. I found a local NAPA store that actually has points and condenser in stock, I'm headed to get them now.

It may be that with all my dicking around I may have left the key switch on and caused the condenser to go bad. I do remember the coil getting real hot one time. Thought it may have been me working the starter too much trying to crank it.
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: AND THE ANSWER IS . . . . . . . Reply with quote

AND THE ANSWER IS . . . . . . . . . .

CONDENSER!! TA-DAAAA!

Found a local NAPA that had points and condenser. Replaced them both, but I really think it was the condenser. The points just didn't look bad. They had a small black dot in the middle, but that was it.

Now it purrs like a kitten. And, after all that - it seems to run better with the vacuum advance freed up. I'm sure it was binding before which may have been the cause of the intermittent hesitation I had (especially when cold) with throttle.

My appreciations to all who's shoulders I cried on
drgerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

bought an extra set, just in case . . . . . . .
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: