Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sticky Exhaust valve on no3 causes?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Sticky Exhaust valve on no3 causes? Reply with quote

I have just rebuilt the 36hp motor in our 57. Its been running ok on test and first fire up I and set it up properly the other day and took it for its first shakedown run. It started popping and generally sounded rough after a few minuets driving. Limped it home and investigated.

After all the initial checks spark fuel etc I popped the valve cover off for a look.
I noticed No3 exhaust pushrod had jumped out the rocker socket. so I pulled off the rocker assembly and removed the push rod and was greeted with this.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then noticed No3 exhaust was stuck open. quick spray with some lubricant and a tap with a hammer it sprang shut. happy days I thought. Gave a bit of lube reassembled everything (straightened the pushrod) re-did all the valve gaps which are set at 0.06"

Gave it a few test spins with the coil unplugged and the cover off and all looked good opening and closing. replaced the cover and fired the motor up. ran well on idle for about ten minuets then the tell tale sign of the stuck exhaust valve again.

pulled the cover again and yep its stuck open. quick tap with the hammer snaps shut. There OG rebuilt heads so new valve guides new valves, new springs but OG retainers. Im a bit miffed as to whats causing it. I have got to pull the motor but don't want it happening again. for the record the other head is the same spec with no issue. anybody got any ideas?

Cheers Dave

This is the motor running on its first fire up before I set the idle and everything.

Link
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough stem to guide clearance, guide needs to be honed/reamed to size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thought that maybe the case. Worth lubing them up with graphite lube as well as an extra precaution or just hone them? Is there a specific tolerance as to what they should be honed to?

Cheers for the reply.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it correctly and have the guides reamed to size. Lubrication won't fix the problem. The Bentley manuals have all of the specs.

If you didn't have all of the guides checked this would be a good time to have them checked and reamed if they are new and too tight or if they are old have them checked to make sure they are not too loose and have them replaced and reamed as necessary.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest as they were new guides and new valves I simply overlooked the tolerances between the two. Im pulling the motor tomorrow and will strip the heads down and check them all. They will be reamed out as needed and I will lube them as well. every little helps and all that.....

Cheers
Dave
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The act of installing replacement guides can distort them, which is why they need to be reamed to prevent valve sticking.

Here's a question: Is it safe to assume that guides in NOS bare cylinder heads have already been reamed and measured by the factory?
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
The act of installing replacement guides can distort them, which is why they need to be reamed to prevent valve sticking.

Here's a question: Is it safe to assume that guides in NOS bare cylinder heads have already been reamed and measured by the factory?

This is true and I should of considered that as well. I find it odd it ran so well so many times until it decided to do this.

Without access to a Bentley manual does anybody happen to know what the tolerances are between the valve stem and guide? I have been searching but not turning anything up. Any pointers appreciated.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:

Without access to a Bentley manual does anybody happen to know what the tolerances are between the valve stem and guide? I have been searching but not turning anything up. Any pointers appreciated.

Bently says :

Exhaust valve
stem diameter new : 7.91 to 7.92 mm
stem diameter wear limit : 7.90 mm
guide inside diameter : 8.00 to 8.02 mm
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you want to know the spec's for intake valves as well :

Stem diameter new : 7.94 to 7.95 mm
Stem diameter wear limit : 7.90 mm
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
Maybe you want to know the spec's for intake valves as well :

Stem diameter new : 7.94 to 7.95 mm
Stem diameter wear limit : 7.90 mm

Wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Very much appreciated Very Happy
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:

Wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Very much appreciated Very Happy

You're welcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: