Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2013, 2014, 2015 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really interesting to view the handful of people who enjoy hating and bashing the Brazilian 15-windows here on TheSamba.

The haters all have one thing in common: They are all HEAVILY invested in early German buses. Some have one bus, some have a whole fleet of buses…. but the common denominator is ownership of early German buses.

Clearly, the haters feel that the values of their German buses are being threatened by the arrival of the Brazilian 15-window buses. I don't know why…. because German buses will OBVIOUSLY always hold more collectible value than Brazilian buses.

I think the "hater" attitude could be described as elitist. While I personally own a dozen 1955-1967 Bugs and would NEVER own or drive a 1968-or newer Bug….. That does not mean I would "put down" a fellow VW owner that drove a 1968-or newer Bug. I would still give that guy a thumbs up driving down the road…. I would still help that guy if he broke down…. Super Beetle owners are still part of the (my) VW community, even though that is not my personal cup-of-tea. No hating.

Brazilian 15-windows have a few differences from German 15-windows. They will OBVIOUSLY always be valued less than German 15-windows. There is no disputing this. So why all the hate?

I see a lot of shit-talking from people who have never even seen a Brazilian bus in person and don't know the first thing about them.

They are what they are….. and I am happy that the response has been 99% positive towards them. They are an affordable alternative to the crazy-priced German bus marketplace….. and they open a door to 15-window ownership for VW enthusiasts who have always dreamed of owning a 15-window but until now could not even imagine affording one.

Last edited by DonKombi on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an interesting debate for sure.

The problem is that because Brazillian buses are 15 windows, they are being compared to German 15 windows (which are desireable, special buses) and getting valuable.

If Brazillian buses were panels or Kombis I don't think people would have such hatred. They would be a just be cheaper alternative to an enthusiast getting into a bus.

I would place more value on a German panel than a same condition Brazillian 15 window. I'm not sure why, and honestly I have never seen a Brazillian bus, to me...they are not a VW bus. Just some crazy bastard child of one Very Happy
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not an issue at all for me, i have owned a barndoor kombi, and i would see no issue in owning a brazilian bus, provided it is in the right condition. I have also seen other, prominent, early barndoor owners who got into brazilian buses, simply because they were interesting.

there are plenty of buses i don't find interesting, i have even owned some, i have never hated a split bus, well maybe the slider Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:

I have never seen a Brazillian bus, to me...they are not a VW bus.

Applause

Thats some deep, deep analysis right there Very Happy
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i have never hated a split bus

Me too….

I assumed everybody thought like we do….

But apparently love of money (or protecting perceived value…) trumps the love of the VW hobby.

Sad………...
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonKombi wrote:
It's really interesting to view the handful of people who enjoy hating and bashing the Brazilian 15-windows.
Yikes, hate is a pretty strong word... and omniscient to go as far as to say they enjoy hating & bashing Brazilian 15-windows. Bottom line: A Brazilian 15-window is a German 15-window knockoff. Shit, if I was in the market for a 15.. and a nice Brazilian one turned up... it'd get consideration.

DonKombi wrote:
Clearly, the haters feel threatened by the arrival of the Brazilian 15-window buses.
The Brazilian 15-windows have been around forty years. Arriving in greater frequency, yes... but to say they're arriving is a bit tardy.

DonKombi wrote:
German buses will always hold more collectible value than Brazilian buses.
True

DonKombi wrote:
I think the "hater" attitude could be described as elitist. While I would NEVER own or drive a 1968-or newer Bug…..
Pot --> Kettle --> Black Laughing

DonKombi wrote:
I am happy that the response has been 99% positive towards them.
Uh, I'd be pretty happy too... if 99% of people liked the knockoff swag I was selling. Note to self: buy some popular knockoff swag to sell.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonKombi wrote:

But apparently love of money (or protecting perceived value…) trumps the love of the VW hobby.

Sad………...

Aren't you selling a Brazilian bus? Laughing Laughing

I love when 'true enthusiasts' pull out the, 'for the love of the VW hobby.' (THINK OFT THE CHILDRENS!!) Right, because you 'true enthusiasts' have the right to dictate how to enjoy the VW hobby.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no reason to hate on Brazilian buses as they rolled out of the Brazilian factory, if fact they incorporate some nice upgrades mechanically. But I have had multiple bad experiences with some low quality Brazilian replacement parts for other VW's and have seen some of the rediculous hack fixes/bodywork performed by backyard shops in many Latin American countries, other peoples phobias towards them may stem from similar experiences. A low mile well maintained bus would be a no brainer, but one that's been worn out and "restored" multiple times would scare the crap out of me. Price and ease of registration would also play a big part in my decision.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1778896

No Whine, pointing out that I believe these are for sliding door Buses only so... Rare if true
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Uh, I'd be pretty happy too... if 99% of people liked the knockoff swag I was selling.

I know its very hard for you to understand and accept.....

I know your current state of denial is very deep.....

I know the whole concept confuses you.....

But lets try this one more time: These are VOLKSWAGEN FACTORY 15-windows we are discussing here...

As in.... ASSEMBLED IN A VOLKSWAGEN FACTORY

As in.... VIN plate says VOLKSWAGEN.

As in.... VOLKSWAGEN owners manual

As in.... sold at AUTHORIZED VOLKSWAGEN DEALERS

The entire world knows your dislike for these vehicles. Thats fine. No problem. But when you describe the vehicles as "knockoff swag" you are only demonstrating to everyone your inability to recognize FACTS.

You are entitled to your opinion... but you are not entitled to your own FACTS.

The cold and brutally hard FACT is that these vehicles are 100% GENUINE VOLKSWAGEN.

You may not like which Volkswagen factory they were built in.... but there is no disputing they are 100% GENUINE VOLKSWAGEN vehicles. Wink
customcityjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Brazilian busses Reply with quote

Maybe this will get people back a little closer to reality on bus prices. The average NORMAL person just sees it as a VW bus. They still get the same cool response when you pull in to a parking lot. I've been with VWs since 1967, I wouldn't hesitate at all to own and drive one. Its not a replica, it is a real VW. I'm all for keeping as much money in my pocket as I can. If I can buy a VW bus and a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, for less than the price of what some of you people want for your bus, that has all aftermarket gerson green metal on it, then I feel that is a better deal for me. If it is completely covered in the green metal, that makes it more of a replica than a Brazilian bus. The haters are just worried about there overpriced investment not giving them the retirement that they dream of at night. Mustangs, Cameros, and Cudas lost some when the New Retro cars came out too. Just the way it goes sometimes. Just my .02 cents Hate all you want, it doesn't bother me at all. Laughing
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

church!!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's...
Harley Davidson USA (where we used to make and assemble... now just assemble foreign parts)
Harley Davidson Brazil (local market build / sales)
Harley Davidson India (local market build / sales)

They're all authorized Harley's... similarly, I'm not in denial.
Similarly, the concept is simple.
Ya, ya, ya... I know... they come with manuals, were sold at a dealer and have the decal or badge stuck on the gas tank... just like when they were made in the USA... by Americans.

A Harley is simply more of a Harley if it was built & assembled in the USA, by Americans.

A 15 is simply more of a 15 if it was built & assembled in Germany, by Germans.

Same thing happened with:
Italian Innocenti Lambretta 1947-1972 --> India
USA Schwinn 1895-2001 --> now China
USA Etch A Sketch, for 40 years --> China since 2000
Chuck Taylor Converse 1918-2001 USA --> now Indonesia
Levi's, here for 150 yrs --> Latin America since 2003
ad nauseum

I don't hate the fallout products (VW or otherwise).... "original" is simply "better"... and always will be.

It's like trying to make grandma's famous cookies... you might have the recipe... but they just ain't the same as when she made them.

Last edited by easy e on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would own one, Hell I would own a faked 23 window and do it proudly!

Why? Because I love buses period!

I bought my first 23 window in 1986 for 100 bucks, my whine is all you other people who came later and drove the prices up. You should have liked something else and left us cool hipsters alone Cool

Seriously don't hate on Brazilians, my girlfriend gets them regularly and I think it's awesome!

Some people buy buses for love others for profit, some have figured out how to make a profit on something they love, Gerson being a good example. I think a lot of the hate comes from those who didn't think of the idea first or who missed the opportunity to profit.

Is a funky green barn door still a barn door? I guess that depends on if yours has more funky green on it than mine. Would a German 15 make you smile more than a Brazilian 15? Everyone would have to figure that out for themselves, but don't harsh on my stupid grin when you catch me driving my fake, less desirable, or Brazilian bus!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not understanding all the fervent dislike of Brazilian bus's either. I just saw the low mileage $100k Brazilian 15 window. I'd have ZERO issues with that beautiful VW in my garage. I'd also LOOOVVVEEE to have one of the last Bay Window, water cooled bus's they built as well.

Some of the more compelling arguments I've read in this thread that resonate with me are-

* It IS a GENUINE, VW produced Bus. It just wasn't producted in Germany.
* How many completely rebuilt Barndoor bus's with a majority of Gerson's S. American made panels are coveted right now, world wide?

It's been interesting being on The Samba for the past 11 years. I'm glad that SOME of the snobbery has dissipated in some areas. The split screen bus crowd use to be so LOUD in their DISTAIN for bay windows. The pre-67 bug owners w/their hatred of "fat chick" 68 and newer bugs.

At the end of the day, they are ALL air cooled, classic Volkswagens, no matter where they were originally built or what calendar day they were completed. When I see someone getting all nasty about it being a "fat chick" or "bay window" or "Brazilian", I simply think "get a life"..

I'm quite certain that most of these same haters would not complain about that low mileage, Brazilian made 15 window being in their garage with their name on the title with no desire to flip it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tahlequah Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazilian shit! I don't even look at these as split buses
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1778526
Fact still remains. This bus is over priced. If I was going to invest $130k in a car right now I can guarantee that this thing wouldn't even make my top 100. Any one who thinks this is a good investment is a fool! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

At the end of the day, they are ALL air cooled, classic Volkswagens, no matter where they were originally built or what calendar day they were completed. When I see someone getting all nasty about it being a "fat chick" or "bay window" or "Brazilian", I simply think "get a life"..

Nail hit square on the head with that one.

That said, 130k is pretty spendy for the 72 bus, lot of other fish in the sea that will hold their value better for that kind of scratch.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to post in this particular thread because of all the fallout it brings but....
This particular debate is quite titillating Very Happy. I myself would buy a Brazilian split just for the uniqueness and design differences while other enthusiasts I know wouldn't touch one with a fifty foot pole. If I had 10 grand to drop on a 15 window and my choices were either A. a rotted out german 15 or B. a running driving Brazilian 15 you'd' see me rollin down the road speaking Portuguese. On the other hand if I had 130k to drop on a 15 window it would not be spent on a Brazilian one http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1778526
It all comes down to personal preference and if you want to change some one else's preference you missed your shot by a couple hundred years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, enough with the 15 windows. Let's tear this apart, $55k for a 64 standard with cheap fat chick seats, stupid looking kick panels and what is with the drink tray and bulkhead panels, why are they different colors than the other panels?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1779310

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2013, 2014, 2015 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2014 of 2710

Jump to: