Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 front brakes
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 orange ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: 74 front brakes Reply with quote

The pads are worn out on the front of my 74 I ordered a set from california import parts and they are wrong ones mine are oval shaped and new ones are square the caliper is stamped with a G and it has a U shaped pin in the top anyone know what pads i need and where can get them preferably in canadaones on left are the ones on it and right is what i recieved

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
semipixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Nova Scotia are you, PM me if you'd prefer? I believe I have a set (new) I don't need...
semipixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I was wrong, don't have a new set. I do have at least 2 slightly used ones if that was any use to you. I can have a look tomorrow to see if I can find 2 more...

Are these the ones you ordered? They should work.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-698-151-BALT

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or look here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...brake+pads
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. It is amazing that some of the parts suppliers cant get it correct as to us getting the proper parts. This aint college level teaching. The ghia has used 3 styles of front brake calipers. The last version, yours, is the single pin Girling caliper. It appears the set you received are the first version, single pin ATE caliper.
Depending on your need to get replacement pads, I would see if the original store has the needed stuff. Or use the used ones for a temporary fix. C21darrel posted a list of sambanista's with some stuff, and close to you. I am lucky down in Los Angeles with lots of parts stores. I have been looking for similar pads for a friends 74 Ghia Vert. Some say the needed pads are getting hard to get. I discovered my friends car had the calipers replaced years ago with the 2 pin Varga calipers. These pads are easier to locate.
I believe you have options especially if you have some time on your hand.
Locate replacement pads.
Locate replacement calipers, ideally using the earlier 2 pin. I have chatted with c21darrel and he has the replacement Chinese as I recall. I chatted with another who bought the Autozone rebuilt units and liked them. There is also an option of locating 2 pin cores and having them rebuilt.
I located a samba guy down here in LA who has a set of new Jurid's but is out of town for a couple weeks.
For your info, it is my understanding all the disc brake spindles have the same location/spacing for the calipers mounting. The rotors are all the same.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you need my parts search down here, Bill.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 74 front brakes Reply with quote

Hey all,

I wouldn't imagine it's too difficult to switch my one-pin front calipers to the two-pin versions?

Thnx!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 front brakes Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
Hey all,

I wouldn't imagine it's too difficult to switch my one-pin front calipers to the two-pin versions?

Thnx!

The calipers themselves are easy to switch out. The two pin ones I just purchased were $40.00 each.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: