Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator tube blocked - need suggestions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Accelerator tube blocked - need suggestions Reply with quote

So - I had my pan sent to the body shop. I asked for seat belt mounts on the hump, as well, for the clutch brace to be re-welded into place.

The body man cleverly cut two holes topic his welder/line into the tunnel to weld. The seat belt mount is nicely welded in place.

The problem - I try to run the accel cable through the tube and... I hit metal at the exact location where he patched the hole to weld the clutch brace into place.

My guess... Patching the hole so close to the accel cable tube has somehow melted the tube. When looking down the ebrake hole with a light and mirror, the tube looks ok with some additional mig on top. I took photos but it's really hard to take a photo of what I see in the mirror.

Any suggestions as to how I might ream/drill this out? Or should I cut another hole back where the patch is, and put in a new piece of accel tube in that section?

Here inside the tunnel looking rear to front, you can see on the left, the tube arches slightly over the seat belt mount. Then just in front of that is the patch that is just over the tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This photo shows where the two patches are, one on top of the other, directly in line with the heater knob.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of a metal blockage by drilling somehow? Any suggestions as to resection the damaged tube?
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the accelerator tube is the high one on the left side of the picture. It looks like he had to bend it in order to get the nut in place because it is directly behind it.

Have you tried to blow air through it? If air comes through it isn't completely blocked. Weld could have penetrated into the tube but most likely it is just bent enough to prevent the end carb end of the cable to fit through.

You could try to run an electrical fish tape that you can buy at your home center through the tube. You have to cut the end off first of course.

If it makes it all the way through you might be able to put a very small bend in the carb end of the accelerator cable and wiggle it through the bend in the tube.

I did this once on some brazillian parking brake cables on my mom's scirocco many years ago. The threaded ends of the cables were a bit longer than the german ones so I bent then a little and was able to get them through.

Of course you should go back to the guy who did the work and ask him to fix it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the straight bit that the carb is attached to can be bent in the middle enough to clear a bent tube. Gently bend that part and rotate it some to let it wiggle thru the tube-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I believe the accelerator tube is the high one on the left side of the picture. It looks like he had to bend it in order to get the nut in place because it is directly behind it.

Yes the accel cable it the upper left, and bends slightly over the seat belt mount. The long end of the carb end of the accel cable clears the bend when I try to fish the wire in backwards. The blockage is between the seat belt mount and the heater knob, right at the site where the hole was welded shut.

splitjunkie wrote:
Have you tried to blow air through it? If air comes through it isn't completely blocked. Weld could have penetrated into the tube but most likely it is just bent enough to prevent the end carb end of the cable to fit through.

I have not tried air, but I will. Thanks for this suggestion.

splitjunkie wrote:
You could try to run an electrical fish tape that you can buy at your home center through the tube. You have to cut the end off first of course.

I have tried running the small wire from my old choke cable as well as a 2g wire. Neither go through. Both clear the bend just fine, yet I hear like I'm hitting metal at the patch site. I can't seem to find a fish tape small enough for the accelerator tube - the one I have is too fat.

splitjunkie wrote:
If it makes it all the way through you might be able to put a very small bend in the carb end of the accelerator cable and wiggle it through the bend in the tube.
I wish the bend was the concern but it's not; the small choke wire does not clear the tube at the patch area.

splitjunkie wrote:
I did this once on some brazillian parking brake cables on my mom's scirocco many years ago. The threaded ends of the cables were a bit longer than the german ones so I bent then a little and was able to get them through.

Of course you should go back to the guy who did the work and ask him to fix it.
I have considered this; not sure what he will do other than cut it open, which I am trying to avoid!
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Sometimes the straight bit that the carb is attached to can be bent in the middle enough to clear a bent tube. Gently bend that part and rotate it some to let it wiggle thru the tube-

The bend doesn't seem to be my concern as when I feed the long, carb section of the cable from the rear up to the blockage, I clear the bent portion no problem. If the small choke wire can't clear the tube, I'm thinking its completely obliterated.

I will try compressed air once I figure out how I can get a good seal with the attachments I have. I may need to buy something.

Thanks for the suggestion thus far - we will figure this out, hopefully without cutting and respecting the tube. I will also try to locate a finer fish tape to fit in the tiny accelerator tube.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me as the tube is collapsed/welded shut at the patch. I'd bet you'll have to cut it back out and repair , especially if your luck is like mine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
It looks to me as the tube is collapsed/welded shut at the patch. I'd bet you'll have to cut it back out and repair , especially if your luck is like mine

I think this is the case as well.
Shitty luck? I'm hoping not.

Any suggestions as to the material to use for the anastomosis of the resected piece of obstructed tube? Something flexible or rigid? Secure with clamps? Pressure fit?
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. Bought a fish tape fine enough to fit in the accelerator tube.
Also got some air tools to make a nice seal.

Bad news.
Fish tape obviously hits metal and when I blow compressed air, the tube is most certainly plugged.

Crying or Very sad

The body man is coming Wednesday have a look and cut a hole back in the tunnel.
2016 Golf R - my daily
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's no bueno Sad .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
that's no bueno Sad .

Nope. But shit happens.
At least it's fixable. I'm bummed but it could be something a lot worse!

PS Tisius, most of my fam was born in Rotterdam Wink so I qualify as 'much' Laughing
2016 Golf R - my daily
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Rotterdam myself, nice Cool Laughing

I hope you can get away with patching a section of the tube.
I've read somewhere that you can pull the accelerator tube because it's supposed to be clamped on to the transmission tunnel.
If worse comes to worse and you have to replace the accelerator tube front to back and you can't source the original diameter tubing, then you might be able to use a steel brake line for replacement?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: