Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MPS inner stop gap measurement
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: MPS inner stop gap measurement Reply with quote

I've been digging through all the MPS threads I can find, here and the T3 forum, can't find the elusive measurement Ray refers to. Adjusting rebuilt 049s. Anyone?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because no one else anywhere on these forums bothers to adjust the inner stop measurement...or check it. For a long time...back in about 1999 on the STF..... virtually no one even realized it was there. I think myself and Brad Anders were some of the first on the forums to even really post how these things worked and what the adjustment were.

Most of the type 3 guys dont adjust. They still run from swap meet to swap meet buying undisturbed MPSs hoping they will make the car run normally again (even though their engines vacuum signature is, nowhere near what original was)

Tram does his main armature adusting from the inside so that A. he doesnt disturb the outer full load stop on the MPS that have them and B. Because when you adjust from the inside you can verify with a simple sharpie mark through the key hole slot that you are not moving the inner adjustment while moving the main fuel mixture adjustment.

Ok....That being said....you should NEVER have to adjust the inner full load stop....unless you know you moved it by accident....or suspect that a previous owner has.

Also....the adjustment will not be universal. If its way off.....I can give you a number that will het you close.....but that adjustment is the one adjustment that is done on the bench with an induction meter that generates a current. Each coil will have a very slightly different adjustment.

Let me crack open an 049 and an E ane see what I have. The E version for the 411/412 is identical to the 049 save for adjustment. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manifold_pressure_sensor.htm#Calibration Curves

These are reman's, the one that holds vacuum runs the car lumpy, all other variables considered; I want to see if it'll work at all well, which it likely could. If I can find an LCR meter to borrow locally I can set it up with Anders' curves. I should also try that.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's something curious: without removing the inner stop backing plate from the inside of the cover I can see that the diaphragm is silver.

In the other, which had a cracked diaphragm, the whole affair was glued together, paper gaskets, diaphragm and plate, with clear silicon, so I'm adverse to taking this cover apart. I've seen yellow brass diaphragms but not silver ones.

I have one good copper diaphragm in an older spare, but it's way out of adjustment, need an LCR to reset that one to a baseline for sure.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably stainless. The issue and worry is ....does it have the same response. I have two MPS open right now but I need to find my pin gauges. Bear with me.

Brads curves work good for bench setting to get you off the ground...especially if he has adjusted the inner stop on his curve. But.....bench setting is not a substitute for tuning the MPS further once its in the car and running.

Many get fairly lucky.....but even the factory in the mid 70s realized that this did not work. Down the line as engines wear....to many quickly came into dealers for usually small annoying running issues. Dealers pretty much just swapped new MPSs in. Sometimes it improved and sometimes not.

Thats why in the mid 70s you started seeing MPSs with paint mark color codes to differentiate differing adjustment of the otherwise same part.

I have a wavetek. I havnt used it on and MPS for a while. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a baseline bench setting should be good for these--also interesting to see where my riveted one in the car now is.

I think I will make the AFR meter a user posted on Pelican, in their tech articles section. I will post a pic of my muffler tomorrow when there's light, it's pro'ly a Dansk. Iirc one of the places you had said was a good spot for the O2 sensor was 180^ from the tail pipe. I have a Thunderbird but I don't want to run with it--too noisy.

Then of course a fresh tune up. I have a set of NAPA Belkin Edge wires, I confess they were on sale; the Petronix; Ford pump. Still working on the harness. pm'd Jon on T3 forum, who builds them--I'm still scrounging for connectors, have all else. I could e-mail Bowlsby and see if he'll sell connectors only.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
As a baseline bench setting should be good for these--also interesting to see where my riveted one in the car now is.

I think I will make the AFR meter a user posted on Pelican, in their tech articles section. I will post a pic of my muffler tomorrow when there's light, it's pro'ly a Dansk. Iirc one of the places you had said was a good spot for the O2 sensor was 180^ from the tail pipe. I have a Thunderbird but I don't want to run with it--too noisy.

Then of course a fresh tune up. I have a set of NAPA Belkin Edge wires, I confess they were on sale; the Petronix; Ford pump. Still working on the harness. pm'd Jon on T3 forum, who builds them--I'm still scrounging for connectors, have all else. I could e-mail Bowlsby and see if he'll sell connectors only.

Which connectors are you looking for? The plastic plugs....or the female connectors? The cemale comnectors should be easy to find. The ECU connectors....you can either clip yours off and reuse them using only the length of wires attached that were still hidden inside of the ECU housing because they tend to stay fresh and pliable...or there are a couple of recyle methoda. Ray
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where to find the DJet females,, I have all the plastic connectors, LJet for injectors and air sensor, all the connector housing for the remaining. Pm'd you.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found 'em:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16889&cat=&page=1
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....one of the first places I would have suggested. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: