Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v checked the date markings on the tires, and it told me they are from june 1994. Laughing
So, sadly they will have to be replaced, I am not going to use 20 year old tires.
That probably explains why you noticed the tread pattern, it's a pattern you don't see anymore these days.

I am going to make the rear apron removable. I've did that with my other bug (1973 super beetle) too. And it makes removing/installing the engine sooo much easier.
On my super beetle it is just hold on by the fender bolts and two extra bolts in the engine compartment.

The ETA is uknown, allthough I am tempted to finish it all except replacing the ragtop fabric, so we can drive it this summer (with the ragtop open, of course Cool ). And then in the autumn replace the ragtop.
But even this time plan might be a bit optimistic. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:

And then in the autumn replace the ragtop.
But even this time plan might be a bit optimistic. Smile

Please take lots of photos and make notes when you do the roof. The only info I could find is this thread on 1600i.de (which I see you have posted on as well):
http://forum.1600i.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=520

There is also this note about the guides:
http://www.1600i.de/1600i-tipps/open-air/open-air.html

I'd like to try to put together some kind of a 'how to' guide for other 'open air' owners. (I'd gladly post it here and send a copy to Manfred for 1600i.de as well).
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hopkin,

Yes, I plan to take lots of pictures and share them, because there is not a lot of info on these roofs.
I don't know if the pictures will be usable for a how-to. Because it is my first time doing this kind of thing.. But I will try to take comprehensive pictures.

There is some confusion about if it is necessary to remove the entire roof, including the guides, or not.

The one in the link you posted did remove the entire roof. But a fellow dutchman, who also owns a open-air, says it is not necessary to remove it entirely.
When I look at my roof it looks like it can slide from under the rear side of the guides.
I am going to try to remove it that way, I hope it works, cause that would safe a lot of difficult work.

The open-air beetle in the first link you posted is also running Ronal Kleeblatts! Smile

BTW: I just found out that "kleeblatt" is German for "clover leaf". And with a lot of imagination the rim indeed looks like a four-leaf-clover. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, some of the things that may be important is the type of motor, and more about the cables that open and close the roof.

I don't think you will have to remove the track from the roof of the car, unless it's damaged or bad rust is forming. I would imagine that would be a bigger job than just removing the roof.

I would like to 'wrap' the plastic interior portion with some kind of headliner material or apply some kind of finish, to give it a cleaner look. On my 'I wish I could find one' list, is a rear view mirror the same size as the Mexican Beetle rear view mirror with LCD. I'd like to hook up a reverse camera, as you know you can't see anything behind the car with the roof open.

I don't know if you saw this picture before, I think I originally found it on a 1600i.de forum. This is the kind of interior look I'd like to have:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did buy some cheap white 'caps' for the screws to give it a cleaner look. I used Mr. Clean stain erasers to whiten up the interior with pretty good results.

I was also able to mount the passenger door grab handle, which was missing from my car. Because of the shape of the roof trim, I wasn't able to cleanly mount the rear grab handles, so I left them off.

The two front standoffs (circled in red on the 'borrowed' photo below) broke on my roof. Fortunately I was able to fashion a fix without removing the roof, but eventually I will have to have the roof done. The 'fix' causes the first rib to stick up a bit when the roof is open. The fix has been holding for two years, once May rolls around the roof stays open pretty much until Sept (I keep the car garaged).

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt:

I found some more pictures posted by someone who had the roof removed:
http://www.bastiankelm.de/projekte/1600i-open-air/

Here are the photos (in case the link disappears sometime in the future):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

I don't think you will have to remove the track from the roof of the car, unless it's damaged or bad rust is forming. I would imagine that would be a bigger job than just removing the roof.

I hope so. Looking at the pictures maybe drilling out the pop rivets will be necessary to remove the roof fabric without removing the frame. Time will tell..

hopkin wrote:

I would like to 'wrap' the plastic interior portion with some kind of headliner material or apply some kind of finish, to give it a cleaner look.

Those plastic parts are pretty yellow on mine too. I've thought about covering it with the standard VW beetle headline material. Or replicating them out of fiberglass...but that will be quite a project.

hopkin wrote:

On my 'I wish I could find one' list, is a rear view mirror the same size as the Mexican Beetle rear view mirror with LCD. I'd like to hook up a reverse camera, as you know you can't see anything behind the car with the roof open.

I am thinking about installing backup-sensors, shouldn't be too hard. And they will probably fit quite nice in the bumper.

hopkin wrote:

Because of the shape of the roof trim, I wasn't able to cleanly mount the rear grab handles, so I left them off.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1339797.jpg

I wondered if the rear grap handles could be installed. Not that I would use them, but they are very beetle-esk.

hopkin wrote:

The two front standoffs (circled in red on the 'borrowed' photo below) broke on my roof. Fortunately I was able to fashion a fix.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1339786.jpg

Those strips must be "spring-metal" (I don't know if that's the correct english word for it..)?
I wonder if we could get these from alternative sources.

Thanks for posting the pictures, I think I've allready saved the most of them to my harddrive, I will check tonight.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
.. I hope so. Looking at the pictures maybe drilling out the pop rivets will be necessary to remove the roof fabric without removing the frame. Time will tell..

Every second rib has a guide mounted to it, drilling out the rivets for each guide on one side each guide should allow you to lift the roof off. The only part I can't envision from any of the pictures is the base of the window portion. From the second set of pictures I found it looks like a frame, but how it's mounted remains a mystery until the interior shell is removed.

Here's another photo I took 'inside' my roof showing how the headliner is fastened to the rib. You can see that a 'custom' clip is riveted to the rib, and then wired to the headliner material. A slightly different (and too blurry for me to post) picture from a different angle shows the 'clip' wrapped around a much thinner headliner wire, with the wrapped wire holding it in place.

Reconstructing the roof doesn't look like rocket science, just a good shop that specializes in this type of work, even removing the roof (with or without the tracks) may not be too bad of a job. I think the biggest challenge will be putting the new roof back on.

Take notes of what worked and didn't work and the sequence (if you can) along with as many photo's and I should be able to put something usable together. Also, if you need 'before' photos once you started the job, let me know and I'll try to get a picture from my car.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)

Last edited by hopkin on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
... Those strips must be "spring-metal" (I don't know if that's the correct english word for it..)?
I wonder if we could get these from alternative sources.

They are some kind of hardened metal, I tried to drill one of them (in place, so my angle wasn't good) with no success.

I used this part from WW to fashion (MacGyver) a fix:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=115875571

It's a little too long (which causes the rib to stand up a bit when the roof is open). It flexes much more than the original, I'd try to get a better match if I was reconstructing the roof.

A closer look at the second set of pictures shows the angle of how the motor mounts to the plywood block in the first set of pictures. I would replace the plywood block with a metal block as I imagine it holds water.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Hopkin, especially for the picture that shows how the headliner is attached!

I don't think there is a frame at the window base. The entire plastic surrounding is one part, resting on the roof, and then wrapping around the edge of the roof in a 90 degree angle.
At the window base that part is a bit wider then on the sides.
Replacing the piece of wood with metal might be a bit tricky. It looks like the motor is attached to the piece of wood through the plastic surrounding. A piece of metal might be to heavy there.

I hope the fabric is not glued to the base of the window. Otherwise it will be pretty difficult to remove the fabric without removing the entire frame from the car.

Anyway, it will take a couple of months before I attack the roof.

Right now I am mounting fuel lines. Because the 1972 floorpan only has one 6 mm fuel line (43 years old..) through the tunnel, I decided to place a fuel line on each side under the heater channels. Just like I did with my other beetle (see).
I've done the right side, but still have to do the other side. Fabricating all the custom brackets and bending the lines the right way takes quite some time...

Last edited by Gerrelt on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo below you can see that the blue flexible tubes (blue arrow) and black rigid tubes (orange arrow) are offset starting at the motor. From the larger photo above it looks like there are cables inside the blue tubes.

If you look closely at the larger picture above you can also see that the black tubes run the length of the roof on each side. Because of the offset at the motor, and the lack of provision to 'wind' the cable, I'm thinking that the cables move between the blue and black tubes depending on the movement of the roof. (I'd be quite interested in closer pictures of motor and the mechanism that moves the cables.)

The cables must fasten to the aluminum header on each side at the front of the roof and retreat into blue tubes when the roof is open. The blue tubes 'lay' behind the white interior shell, you can see part of the left one if you remove the dome light.

I'm going to contact the fellow in Germany that posted the pictures on http://www.bastiankelm.de/projekte/1600i-open-air/ to see if he has any other pictures, maybe higher resolution.

Gerrelt wrote:
Replacing the piece of wood with metal might be a bit tricky. It looks like the motor is attached to the piece of wood through the plastic surrounding. A piece of metal might be to heavy there.

The wood block is a puzzle, I wonder if maybe it was placed there temporarily (in the larger photo) just to hold the motor in place while the roof was off. If it's part of the structure, a light weight metal (ie aluminum) block could easily be fabricated.

BTW; Nice job on the fuel lines, I hope you get the open air back together soon and enjoy some summer driving.

Edit: As I re-read this I realize I may be stating the obvious for anyone who has worked with these types of roofs before Embarassed, but it is new to me (and I love to reverse engineer things).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I'm thinking that the cables move between the blue and black tubes depending on the movement of the roof.

I think you're right in this. This mechanism looks a lot like the window winder mechanisms. There is also a metal tube between te winder and the window which holds the cable. When winding down the window, the metal cable enters a rubber tube, after the window winder mechanism.
See:

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct, it must be a worm type cable, just like the window regulator, using the black and blue tubes. The aluminum block connected to the motor (visible in the picture with the arrows) would contain the gears, a simple mechanism.

There are a couple of cables visible in the picture from 1600i.de that are not shown in the other pictures. A close up look at one of them shows a loop at the end and the cable appears to lay along the base of the window. I'm thinking that these cables are somehow used to hold the back of the roof to the frame or to the car.

Originally I thought these cables were exiting the blue tube, but the close up clearly shows that assumption to be wrong.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me curious about that cable, so I removed the cover that's over the electric motor.
This is what it looks like behind the cover:

And a closeup:

I think the wire goes all around the frame. Maybe to give it some strength. But I still don't get it entirely... Confused

Owh, btw: the spring tension is not very hard, I can push the spring in easily.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Gerrelt, and I couldn't resist so I took my cover off and took some additional pictures. I was able to see the label on the motor and get a manufacturer and part number. Jideco (now Mitsuba) Part #MMR550-15:

The cable is definitely a worm gear that rides inside the metal track and attaches to the aluminum header at the front of the car. In the next picture you can see that the black tube ends at the aluminum track and the worm cable is exposed.

In this picture the aluminum header at the front of the car is just to the right. The worm cable can be seen here in the aluminum track, but the track is clear when the roof is open; so the worm cable must be fastened to the aluminum header.

The visible cables must be used to hold rear portion down, or maybe to keep the motor centered, as they don't move when the roof opens. The drivers door side cable can be seen two pictures above, in the picture below the passenger side disappears in a slightly different way (unfortunately my 'cable' pictures rotated when I uploaded them to Samba):

Finally a view of the motor taken from the same angle as your pictures. In your pictures there is a lose spring on the left side, that spring is missing on my car. The crescent moon shaped plate under the motor and is metal and it appears that the headliner material is sandwiched between that metal plate and block of wood (Now I'm thinking that the exposed cables are fastened to the headliner material to hold it tight under the metal plate??)

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more picture, you can see that the wires change colour just after the motor, I'm going to see if I can trace the blue and yellow wires back to the switch and make a wiring diagram. It should be simple enough circuit. I do know that it's connected to the fuse panel as a fuse [I think #8] blew once when I was closing the roof.

I have to see if I can my remember my 'electronics 101' from 20 years ago, the rocker switch changes direction of the motor depending on position, but only 2 wires on the motor? Hmmm... Embarassed Embarassed
I'll have to see if I can get a look at the back of the switch.

I've sent a request off to Mitsuba to see if they will send me a data sheet for the motor.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I was able to see the label on the motor and get a manufacturer and part number. Jideco (now Mitsuba) Part #MMR550-15:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1341375.jpg

Ah, thanks! I totally forgot to search for the motor part number. It's funny to see a Japanese part in a German car built in Mexico. Smile

hopkin wrote:

In this picture the aluminum header at the front of the car is just to the right.
The worm cable can be seen here in the aluminum track, but the track is clear when the roof is open; so the worm cable must be fastened to the aluminum header.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1341371.jpg

I agree, the worm cables only pull the front aluminum header back, taking the rest of the roof with it.

hopkin wrote:

Finally a view of the motor taken from the same angle as your pictures. In your pictures there is a lose spring on the left side, that spring is missing on my car.
The crescent moon shaped plate under the motor and is metal and it appears that the headliner material is sandwiched between that metal plate and block of wood
(Now I'm thinking that the exposed cables are fastened to the headliner material to hold it tight under the metal plate??)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1341373.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1341372.jpg

The lose spring on mine is used to hold the other sping in place. The little spring is shoved over the little metal tab that holds the spring.

I've just thougth about another possible function of the cables-with-springs. Maybe it runs all along the inside of the edge of the ragtop material, to keep the sides down. And that will cause the ragtop to make nice "hoops" instead of folds when the ragtop is opened. That would explain the springs on either side, it is for keeping a slight pressure on them, and to provide some movement in length of the cable. Otherwise the cable should have an absolute exact length to be able to close the ragtop, which would be impossible.

I've allready got a new ragtop. I will check if it contains a new cable...

hopkin wrote:
One more picture, you can see that the wires change colour just after the motor, I'm going to see if I can trace the blue and yellow
wires back to the switch and make a wiring diagram. It should be simple enough circuit. I do know that it's connected to the fuse panel as a fuse [I think #8] blew once when I was closing the roof.

I have to see if I can my remember my 'electronics 101' from 20 years ago, the rocker switch changes direction of the motor depending on position, but only 2 wires on the motor?
Hmmm... Embarassed Embarassed
I'll have to see if I can get a look at the back of the switch.

I've sent a request off to Mitsuba to see if they will send me a data sheet for the motor.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1341541.jpg

This setup looks a lot like the setup I made for my electric popout widows, see: Youtube link

The switch switches the polarity of the two wires. So in one position, one wire is + and the other - , and in the other position it is the other way around (there are probably some diodes used too).
Thats how the rotation of the motor is changed.

The little black box on the side of the motor might be some overload safety thing?
In my popout window motors, there is a mechanism that the power is cut when it reaches the full reach, but in this situation that is not possible. So it must be some kind of overload protection?
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the new ragtop, this is it:

See the little plastic bags in there? A closeup:

I ordered this roof about a year ago, and I just remembered the guy I bought it from recommended to order these extra parts. I think these are the metal strips we've talked about earlier. So, I know a place where you can order them! But be aware, they were not cheap!

I've ordered the ragtop and pieces here: http://www.decohaus.de/

The metal strips are called "Spriegelspangen" in German. They come with pop rivets.
The plastic gliders are called "Gleitschuhe".

My new ragtop has a square rear window and not the trapeze (is this the right word?) shape.

Now, back to the cable-with-springs. I've found a hole at the bottem of the roof. I thinkt this is where the cable needs to be inserted. The channel goes all the way to the top of the roof, and there it exits. I think at the top of the roof the cable is attached tot he header.
So there are two cables, one left and one right.
The hole:

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Now, back to the cable-with-springs. I've found a hole at the bottem of the roof. I thinkt this is where the cable needs to be inserted. The channel goes all the way to the top of the roof, and there it exits. I think at the top of the roof the cable is attached tot he header.
So there are two cables, one left and one right.

You are correct, another picture. You can see a portion of the cable exposed in the channel you described.

Well that pretty much covers how the roof works. Very Happy
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
The switch switches the polarity of the two wires. So in one position, one wire is + and the other - , and in the other position it is the other way around (there are probably some diodes used too).
Thats how the rotation of the motor is changed.

I found this (posted here in English horribly translated using Google translate) on www.1600i.de:

So, now I've checked the connections.

The back of the drive motor for the sunroof get 2 cable, one yellow and one blue. These are connected behind the panel with a terminal block with the actual motor connection cables. Yellow-red is connected with me to the yellow cable and red and black with the blue cable. The yellow cable is positive when closing the roof and the blue cable is plus with opening roof. (Each other logically negative.)

The front of the switch there is from view of the plug-in connections of two rows, one upper and one lower. The blue and the yellow cable that go arriving at the drive motor of the central connections of the button from blue top, yellow bottom. The positive (with me wired red) comes from the terminals of the fuses, with me from the top row of the connector 5. Connection of the left and leads to the switch at the top right and bottom left. The negative terminal is shot at me from the nearest ground contact to the top left and bottom right of the switch. When keys to the right and to the left thus the voltage with reversed polarity to the motor on (opening and closing).

Look at the switch contacts:

sw bl rt
o o o

o o o
rt ge sw

Greeting
Guido

PS: If nothing happens, maybe first invest directly voltage to the motor. (Before disconnecting the cable to the terminal block.)

I also found this note in the same post which confirms my note about fuse #8 (which is an 8A in my car):
First, always check the fuse . The sunroof is normally dependent on fuse no . 8, a 25A fuse.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted a picture of my cars in weeks ... Oh no! Embarassed

Now that the snow finally melted, construction and mosquito season has arrived.
Lots of construction vehicles on the road; maybe I should ask for a ride, looks like there's room.

A better angle:

Just like the truck adverts when they dump the dirt in the back! Laughing

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 192

Jump to: