Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which to keep?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Which to keep? Reply with quote

A genuine dilemma. I have a '67 Beetle and a '74 bus. Both vehicles are in VERY good condition. Both run, stop, (+) etc.

The situation: I have a daughter who is almost 16 and this necessitates a third car; one of the VW's is not an option. One of our daily drivers ('96 Honda) will need to be replaced soon as well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to keep both VW's, even if the Beetle was turned into a daily; the money for other purchases needs to come from somewhere and the wife is not open to alternatives.

The plan has been to sell the bug and roll the cash into the other purchases. However, the bus is likely worth more and it is not my dream bus. However, the likelihood of me getting another bus ('71 or older) that is in as good of shape as the '74 for a reasonable amount of money in the future is SLIM.

So, what are your thoughts? Which to sell/keep? Alternatives that you would seek? I really hate being in this situation!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which to keep? Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
The plan has been to sell the bug and roll the cash into the other purchases. However, the bus is likely worth more and it is not my dream bus.

Sounds like you're not in love with either of them, so sell them both, bank the cash, and be ready to pounce with a full wallet when your dream VW comes along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the bus. Probably more useful.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get rid of the bus, just because you know the boyfriend is going to ask to take it to the prom or the drive in with your daughter... NO NO NO.
It's up to you what do you like better driving. Good luck with you decision
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a daily driver so I would keep the bus because I think it is the more fun car to drive when you don't need to get there in a hurry.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one do you drive more often?

Other than that, I would say keep the bus. Then, if you miss the bug more than you love having the bus, sell the bus and get a bug. It would be much harder to sell the bug to buy a bus (as you already know).

Or....

Get another job long enough to pay for another vehicle and keep them both! (Part time, maybe one weekend a month?)

Just a thought...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, tough choice but it looks like that daughter is gonna need to get a job. Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time to teach your daughter that's things in life aren't free and if she wants something with four wheels to go hang with with friends she needs to get a part time job to help pay for it.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Honda may soon need replacement. Sounds like the perfect disposable car. Get your wife something new and your daughter gets the beater to insure and maintain. When the young one trashes the Honda you say tsk tsk and suggest she look for another one.
Me? I insured both old vws as antiques so they are not on the car discussion table. My wife has the newest best car that one son can borrow and the other one has been rolling his grandparents volvo wagon that will cost nothing to replace if trashed. I daily a beater mercedes.
Stop drinking the kool-aid your wife and daughter are dishing out
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What horrible things could you have possibly done to a 96 Honda that requires replacing it soon?, it's just approaching the age where the parts are dirt cheap on Rockauto, even if you drop a couple K on it (highly unlikely) you'll still be further ahead that the instant depreciation on a newer ride.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hold on to a clean '67 before a bay window. If it isn't your dream bus then you will always be thinking about what you might have instead. I am partial to the split window buses though.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
I would hold on to a clean '67 before a bay window. If it isn't your dream bus then you will always be thinking about what you might have instead. I am partial to the split window buses though.

What he said, Last year before style was replaced with safety.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

So...
My daughter is a high functioning, well behaved, doing well in school 10th grader who will be getting a job this summer, will be working an internship this summer, goes to the gym at least 5 times a week, will be carting sis around, and will be very active for the rest of her high school career. She does need regular access to a car as my wife and I (educators) also do other gigs during the summer and are hella busy during the school year. Kiddo will also be covering gas and partial insurance. I am willing to acquiesce on some of her responsibility related to the car as she is a great kid doing good stuff.

Still on the fence.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Sounds like a good time to teach your daughter that's things in life aren't free and if she wants something with four wheels to go hang with with friends she needs to get a part time job to help pay for it.

X2...help with insurance or something. Good lesson in working and being proud of her hard work

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give her the honda, my youngest daughter needed a car during college, refurbed into a very nice auto-stick, she wanted a bug, about a month later she checked rt lane to move into, waited too long, sideswiped, took me about a month to get back to where was. If you check most teens do some sort of wreck at 1st including boys, my2cts. They really need a mid 70 buick, toreno wagon etc to get their wings.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for rewarding a kid who is otherwise proving to be responsible by going to school, working when able, and helping out the fam by helping with transportation. It shows that you are respecting and rewarding the efforts put forward and teaches that in life responsibility and effort does reap rewards. If either of the vdubs are to be her vehicle I would go with the bug. If it is just a "too many horses in the stable" issue than I still stick with the beetle.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here with growing teens 20 yrs ago. Our daughter wrecked her Honda twice, then totalled out a olds cutlas OK so 2 vehicles in three years. So we got her an A ~ B car. Put it in her name and her insurance too. She learned a lesson.
Like you our daughter was a high functioning, well behaved, doing well in school. I would say let her drive the Honda till it dies, by then things will have changed for all of you.
Keep both VW's. You know what you have there and argue you case.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

I would keep that sweet bus.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell em both and buy a split. Either that or hold on to em both

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 is a great year for a bug, no doubt about it. I know you said it's not your dream bus model but a '74 hard top westy is a great bus as well IMO. Dual carbs, no fuel injection to eventually go bad, type 4 power, improved frontal crash safety, no pop top seals, tent, etc to deal with (also lighter and more fuel efficient due to this). I would sell the bug if it were me because they are easier to replace and a bus is more useful to me. I'd keep them both if possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: