Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood release on 56 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliacona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Hood release on 56 Beetle Reply with quote

I recently unhooked my hood release cable/wire, to clean and polish the round cream colored knob, and upon re inserting it, found that it would not go back in, and there was an "obstruction" about 8" into the entrance. I tried putting other thicker house wire (copper) which pushed the mystery object further up the metal tube. I can push the knob wire all the way thru to the hood mechanism, but! I can feel these spring like resistence.
The question is, was there a spring of some kind maybe close to the entrance
for the purpose of having the knob come back a little? Was there a piece of some kind needed to help in the return of the cable/knob?
Is it needed?
Can anybody relate to this problem?
Thanks for your feedback / help
Paul
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conduit should be clear of any obstruction. Push a thicker gauge wire through the conduit & clear it out. Post back what you find. Probably gunk, debris, dirt etc...
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an air compressor try high pressure air both ways. Another old school method is an old speedo cable (inner flexible part) attached to an electric drill. I keep an old one in the shop just for that purpose.
'63 OG 117
eliacona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: hood release on 56 Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick help replys. It was a mystery to me, I had never had this hood cable/wire out (owned the 56 since 75) and it came out easy,but putting it back I noticed the resistance, and even with the larger copper wire It felt like there is a spring in the tube, except, now it was much further in the tube! The copper "test" wire goes all the way thru, the know and wire also now go all the way thru out the other end of the tube close to the hood release mechanism, so I guess there wasn't some factory spring in that tube, and will blow air just for good measure, and hook it up. I am a little scared about the hood not opening later, so I think an extra "pull" wire may be a good idea.
Thanks for you help.
Paul
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the wire the opposite way and push it out the way it came.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: