Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split interior
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted them flat in my car , if somebody wants them the style you have , i can make them as well

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
This is not a critisism of anyones work, more of an observation.......
Why do most of the split seats that have been reupholstered, not have the "raised hump strips" (for lack of a better description) on them. They are just flat like the rest of the seats.

Lenny's seat covers have pull down cords to create those bumps in the lower fronts, but not in the lower back. I think the the upper back also has them as well as some foam strips sewn into the back of the fabric.

I recently tore down a rear seat back (deluxe) and it had no pull strings, but did have some felt "strips" laid over the main padding. The bumps were there but not as pronounced as in John's pics.

Personally I think it gives the seats a nice sculpted look, and is especially important if you use foam to redo the seats, else you get the "marshmallow" look.

Here's the pics from the original seat:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lowers I have finished for my '50, doing the uppers now...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum.. those look great John ! When can you do mine? Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:

After I finish these.

...and then do all the rust repair on the '51, completely restore it, including re-doing that interior. The '57 only took me 8 years, and the '51 is WAY worse.

How old are you now?? Wink

{Thanks for the compliment, BTW, I'm pretty happy with them so far. This is my first interior since the JC Whitney job I did on my '67, back in '89 or so......}

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
Why do most of the split seats that have been reupholstered, not have the "raised hump strips" (for lack of a better description) on them. They are just flat like the rest of the seats.

I agree, when I redid my seats on my 50' a few years ago I made sure to include these original upholstery contours as seen here:

lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is we have been here 22 years doing only VW's. We apreciate the USA market especially in these times. So, for the people that have supported us all these years, Thanks!! Smile Smile I've seen people refer people to other countries for this service. Not sure why because there is no after service like we have. Are you going to call Germany if something doesn't fit well? That would suc. Crying or Very sad

I'm not saying other people can not make these but with our history we will always be here in case of any problems you might have with installing. We get allot of calls from upholstery shops and customers alike for help with these and we respond to their needs in a nice way. We want our stuff to look good of course.

We make them as the factory did but, sometimes the upholstery shop does not install the correct way. Another problem is sometimes the customer has the wrong seats and don't realize it.

As far as the headliners go after finding the German cloth I have never sold another cheap mohair headliner. (remember mohair sweaters? ) I refer those customers to another company because I don't want to sell them and then have the customer unhappy because of the quality of the cloth. You have TMI for the cheap stuff and us for the real McDeal..

To be fair I can't comment on Riccardo's headliners since I have never seen one or the material he uses. When I was in Germany I saw a reputable upholstery shop supply company selling the same headliners as TMI sells. Real fuzzy if you know what I mean.

I was talking to John Henry the other day and I told him that soon I will post a thread on how to install correctly the seat covers, headliner, etc. Hopefully this will help people in the future.

The puffed out covers on the sides are 49 - 52. After 52 they are flat except for convertibles to 1955.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that Lenny needs any testimonials but I'll definitely vouch for his headliners, they fit nicely and just look amazing, and equally compliment with his interior upholstery. A quality headliner is often overlooked and really affects how well a car presents in my opinion. Here is one of Lenny's in my last split ragtop:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny, your rear bottoms don't have pull downs, do they? I hope not, I didn't see any and the cover is on there already!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny:

you got 8 yards of my fabric and a rear pillow , it was sent to you in behalf of a customer that was going to buy a split from you ....Michael , from Australia , remember ??

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:
Not that Lenny needs any testimonials but I'll definitely vouch for his headliners, they fit nicely and just look amazing, and equally compliment with his interior upholstery. A quality headliner is often overlooked and really affects how well a car presents in my opinion. Here is one of Lenny's in my last split ragtop:

Excellent install on this headliner.. Props too whoever put it in for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpartsunlimited wrote:
Lenny:

you got 8 yards of my fabric and a rear pillow , it was sent to you in behalf of a customer that was going to buy a split from you ....Michael , from Australia , remember ??

Yes, I remember. The new owner Tony Morioni from up north bought the car Michael was buying and I sent him the material..

Cheers....
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny copp wrote:

I was talking to John Henry the other day and I told him that soon I will post a thread on how to install correctly the seat covers, headliner, etc. Hopefully this will help people in the future.

That would be fantastic! Really helpful to all those who want to tackle this themselves. Thanks!
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
ZwitterND wrote:

After I finish these.

...and then do all the rust repair on the '51, completely restore it, including re-doing that interior. The '57 only took me 8 years, and the '51 is WAY worse.

How old are you now?? Wink

{Thanks for the compliment, BTW, I'm pretty happy with them so far. This is my first interior since the JC Whitney job I did on my '67, back in '89 or so......}

LOL...John, I have been working on my zwitter for over 20 years, at the rate we are going with our projects our work cars will be collectables..wait my 73 Camaro is already there... Shocked Laughing
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny copp wrote:
Brezelwerks wrote:

Excellent install on this headliner.. Props too whoever put it in for you.

Thanks Lenny I'll pass that on to my local upholstery guy who does incredible work. Your ragtop patterns were also spot on which really helped my friend who had never done a beetle headliner before. If anyone fairly close to New England is looking for really top end upholstery work for a fair price just PM me for contact info, otherwise just head to Lennys shop. Wink

While I eventually managed through redoing my own seat upholstery, a ragtop headliner is a different animal, it really takes an experienced craftsman with the right hands (and tools) to do this kind of work, especially when the headliner material is the higher end stuff, its really just best left to those with the right tools and countless hours of experience. The goal on that split was to redo what was necessary to really achieve an equal high level of fit and finish throughout, and to really achieve a factory installed headliner look this is one of things in addition to paint work thats way better left to the experts.

Gary
lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
IN2VWS wrote:

Lenny's seat covers have pull down cords to create those bumps in the lower fronts, but not in the lower back. I think the the upper back also has them as well as some foam strips sewn into the back of the fabric.

I recently tore down a rear seat back (deluxe) and it had no pull strings, but did have some felt "strips" laid over the main padding. The bumps were there but not as pronounced as in John's pics.

Personally I think it gives the seats a nice sculpted look, and is especially important if you use foam to redo the seats, else you get the "marshmallow" look.

Here's the pics from the original seat:

The lowers I have finished for my '50, doing the uppers now...

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny copp wrote:

This would be helpful to me right now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: