Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 81 Vanagon owner
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
domromer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: New 81 Vanagon owner Reply with quote

Just picked up an 81 air cooled Westy today! I plan on doing most of my own maintenance. I'm wondering which books would you guys recommend? I'm not sure which to get since I assume the air cooled westy is very different from the water cooled and the bay windows. A little insight would be appreciated.

Dom
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what kinda books you are looking for but I am sort of in the same boat. I live eat and sleep carrying around (and reading) my Bentley Manual. I purchased one to make sure I really wanted to get into fixing up a VW and it has been a life saving with my newly purchased 1980.

I haven't even touched the Hayes. Couldn't tell you which books to get for the interior though
domromer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of repair books. I wasn't sure which ones to get. Like I know the Muir book covers air cooled engines. But I wasn't sure if it would cover the vanagon. How's yours run? Had any issues? The air cooled engine is an unknown to me. I was wanting to start with a basic tuneup but I'd like to learn a bit more about it first. Then figure out what the tuneup entails and where to get these items. The place where I got my tune up items for my 85 vanagon doesn't seem to sell parts for an 81.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts as a fellow Air Cooled owner:

I bought the Haynes when I got my van in 2001. It convinced me that I was not capable of working on my own van so for years I paid mechanics for most things other than oil and sparkplug changes. Very confusing in my opinion - although others have said it can be good if you are already a knowledgeable mechanic.

I got the Bentley a year or two ago as I was starting to restore my van. Since then I have dismantled, re-assembled, and rebuilt almost every single part of it. I would call this one a necessity - highly recommended.

I got the Muir book last year and after reading it I found myself wishing I had bought it instead of the Haynes in the first place. It really is great if you're a "compleat idiot" like I was but in my case I had learned most of what was in it from other sources before I got my hands on it. Does a good job of explaining such mysterious procedures as "adjusting your valves" and "setting your timing" if you have never done so.

Same with Tom Wilson's "How to rebuild your VW Air Cooled engine" - probably should have got that before tearing an engine apart. Just got it recently and it seems redundant now - but I'm glad I have it and sure I'll appreciate it if I ever decide to crack the case and rebuild a bottom end.

Welcome to Air Cooled ownership!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the regular bentely will do you just fine, it covers air cooled engines, as well as westy interiors, it's pretty much all you need.
welcome to vanagon ownership Cool
lets see your bus

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search out a used early edition Bentley.

Although it may not have any edited updates, it also won't have pages and pages and pages of information that apply to the diesel, the 1.9 and the 2.1 as well....... A very much smaller book!
This one has diesel but ends there..........

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Vanagon-Official-...ey+vanagon

For an Air Cooled owner, get Tom Wilsons book if for no other reason than to understand your engine.

The Idiot book, while useful, informative and extremely entertaining is a basic primer and it's techniques and facts are to be double checked.

Also know that your engine, while talked about here in the Vanagon forums, and some here know quite a bit about them, is ultimatly much better covered in the Bay Window forum where the anti Water Pumpers live!

Enjoy the ride!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
domromer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies. Quick question to get me down the road of repair. I want to change the oil this weekend. From my reading it looks like this kinda bus has an oil screen and two gaskets that should be replaced. Is this something I can pick up in my local auto part store or something need order online?

I used to get all the parts for my 85 westy on van cafe but they don't seem to carry anything for the 81. If I do need to look online for this kit could someone point me in the right direction.

Here's a pic of her. Just picked he up last night. Couldn't resist going for a ride this morning. Now I gotta order some new tires and start getting her tuned up. The inside is in fantastic shape. Just some little odds and ends to fix. I'll post some interior pics later.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
20150424_072419_HDR by dsrphotography, on Flickr
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one sweet lookin' Air Cooled. Very Happy
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domromer wrote:
I used to get all the parts for my 85 westy on van cafe but they don't seem to carry anything for the 81.

FYI:

Not sure why Van-Cafe is hiding this info (following GoWesty's anti Air-Cooled stance, perhaps?) but they do have parts for your van.

You can sneak into the 80-83 parts catalog by searching for a part that is also used on later models then following the link at the bottom:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bus Depot is another option if you can't find the crush washer and strainer gaskets locally.

Nice looking van by the way Cool
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre doing the oil change look for the oil drain plug to the left of it. I just did my first oil change and missed that and tried draining through the filter. Just in case you didnt want to replace those parts Wink

And to answer your question from before. My bus isn't running... haha. I bought it as such because i wanted a fixer-upper and boy did I get it
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domromer wrote:
Thanks all for the replies. Quick question to get me down the road of repair. I want to change the oil this weekend. From my reading it looks like this kinda bus has an oil screen and two gaskets that should be replaced. Is this something I can pick up in my local auto part store or something need order online?

Cleaning the screen is a very low priority procedure with is fraught with dangers. If you over tighten the retaining nut you will damage your engine case and be in a world of hurt, and of course if you leave the nut too loose??? I only check the screen when I buy a new to me engine and then maybe once every 150K miles thereafter. The proper torque on the nut is very low, something like 7 ft*lbs. This is just a moderate twist of the wrist. Clean the gasket seating area well, and use a very light coat of oil resistant goop on the gaskets (spray hi-tack comes to mind) and then don't plan on ever removing the cover again until your next engine rebuild.

Note that VW fixed this vexing problem on the WBXers by eliminating access to the screen, certainly one of the reasons the WBXer engine will last longer than an aircooled, one less failure point.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being an Air Cooled 2.0 guy, may I assume that this engine has a Modern Spin On Oil Filter?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Not being an Air Cooled 2.0 guy, may I assume that this engine has a Modern Spin On Oil Filter?

Dave

Yes, Type 4 engines have spin on oil filters.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, sweet ride, nice score on an A/C. Wish my 82 looked that good and taken care of when I got it
The Bentley is invaluable but remember, it was written to be a comprehensive guide for a mechanic so it assumes you already have some basic knowledge
Stay away from Haynes, not worth the paper they're printed on IMHO
There's a surprising large number of manuals, etc under "Technical", grab a beverage (or 2), a few hours of free time and do some exploring.
I uploaded a manual on the Fuel Injection system that i was lucky enough to run across, really helped me keep mine running far better than what the Bentley covers (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php)

But far and away your best resource for keeping you beauty alive is this forum.
From the day I brought my 'eBay P.O.S. find' home, it seemed no matter what problem I ran into, I found I wasn't the first to have it and I wasn't alone when it came figuring out a solution.
Good luck with your find
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with 82. That being said... I did flip through the hayes last night and it points out some of the obvious stuff, names of parts and such. Their diagrams are pretty good. For instance, I had no idea what an ignition control unit looked like and Hayes points it out. That being said, I could have just as easily googled it (I think i did that first actually Razz ) None of the Hayes looked good for the actual maintenance of your vehicle though. I only have it because it was sitting all crusty and unloved on some shelf of the van i bought.
Mark70baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Welcome to the Air Cooled world. Reply with quote

Best advice on books, A Bently Manual, A Haynes Manual and also this group. With these three we've been able to keep our 82 running strong for three years and it's getting better all the time. Others include a subscription to Hot VWs and Dune Buggies, and anything else you ever come across with Vanagons and the Type-4 engines from any good source. Great looking van, Good find.

82 Vanagon with ASI Full Camper Conversion, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have several manuals but use the Bentley more than the others.

To make it easier to use I sliced the pages out and selected only those that pertained to my 84 WBX.

By eliminating pages specific to Air Cooled, Digifant, Syncros, power steering, and automatics the manual is about half the original size and I don't spend time figuring out 'which one of these illustrations is supposed to be mine?'.

The remaining relevant pages are punched and bound in a 3-ring binder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: