Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass floor pan opinions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
droff85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass floor pan opinions Reply with quote

I just bought a 74 that was being restored and the owner cheaper out and bought fiberglass pans for it. What do you guys think I should do. Remove them and put metal pans in? Try to reinforce them somehow? Also how do you mount the seats to fiberglass pans? Any advice is appreciated.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the seat tracks but the seatbelts mounted to the floors. If you are not using stock seats you could make mounts from the tunnel to the rockers. Also if you plan on a roll bar, mounts to the pan also. Put metal in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from glass-actions website in their instructions for fiberglass floors
If your seat tracks are in good shape, and you will use your original seats, cut around them, leaving the tracks completely intact. The new floor will underlap underneath the seat track area, with maybe a slight bow underneath. It is almost impossible to remove VW original seat tracks, and then replace them lined up well enough to make the seats work right again. (See notes below on other options for seat applications)

NOTE: For those of you, who need to use new seats, (or would rather have the nice cushy ones that recline, etc.) - Two pieces of 1 ½" angle iron can be welded from the shift tunnel to the door frame, like an upside sown "L". One piece goes across the front of the seat, the other across the back. Drill holes for the seat's bolts to go thru. New after market seats (Scatt etc.) or seats from other cars (Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc.) can be bolted to the angle iron. This is safer, as in the event of an accident, you are anchored to the frame and strength of the VW, rather than to the floor, metal, or not. This is also much easier and less expensive than reattaching original seat tracks.

and as to seat belts aren't the mounts on the tunnel and body not the floor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuaneL wrote:

and as to seat belts aren't the mounts on the tunnel and body not the floor?

Female side is on tunnel, male side on floorpan. Metal is the only way to go.
droff85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I were to buy. New pans I would definitely go with steel ones. But since these were already installed I may just use them. I can fab something better than just angle iron to mount the seats to and incorporate the seat belt mounts and possibly tie them into a roll cage as well. I was just worried about strength and the ease of mounting seats. I know it's not a 100% correct restore nor will it ever be while I own it but I just didn't want to do something unconventional that would make it difficult or undesirable to a potential buyer if I ever sold it.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were is the cage attached to?
droff85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently doesn't have one. I could make some mounts that attached to the body and tunnel that would incorporate the seat rails or sliders and also seat belt mounts.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droff85,
Was this Thing you got out of Atlanta? Or thereabouts?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: